Developer-friendly / experimental branch (dataghost) - page 12 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

Developer-friendly / experimental branch (dataghost)

• 143 Replies
Re: Developer-friendly / experimental branch (dataghost)
« Reply #110 on: 09 / September / 2009, 05:27:27 »
Advertisements
Ok so it looks like I was wrong. I dismissed what was suggested in another thread because when I tried it I swore I saw the pre-flash still.

Anyway it appears that if you enable "force manual flash" and then set the power to any of the 3 settings (0,1,2) it only fires once. I was able to trigger my Nikon SB-600's properly using this method. I needed this for a DIY project I was working on a year or so ago, I was trying to make a multi-flash studio using disposable camera flashes (using an SCR and a small solar cell as the trigger) so that people would have a budget studio option. Looks like that project is back in action ;)

Microfunguy- your reply came through as I was typing this so its kind of a moot point but here goes anyway. The point was not to have to buy slaves that were designed to overcome this, from what I could see this feature was only available on the higher end ones. I have RF triggers and good strobes so I don't need this for my "real" photography, I was trying to come up with a solution to help get new photographers that are on a budget into the world of off camera flash photography.

I never realized that the usb remote switch could be configured as an output, that would definitely be another option. Thanks for the input!

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #111 on: 09 / September / 2009, 06:39:57 »
Anyway it appears that if you enable "force manual flash" and then set the power to any of the 3 settings (0,1,2) it only fires once.
Yes, force manual flash just fires the flash with the choosen intensity (duration).
On cameras with adjustable flash intensity there' s also no pre-flash when the intensity is set manually.

Without CHDK, the Canon firmware normally use a pre-flash, at least in Auto / Easy modes...

« Reply #112 on: 09 / September / 2009, 11:32:42 »
PhyrePhoX coded the 'manual flash' feature with the strobist community in mind.

« Reply #113 on: 09 / September / 2009, 17:53:30 »
Thanks everyone, especially PhyrePhox. This is a great feature that I've been waiting a long time for, a friend was in a pinch and I gave her my SD1000 before I realized "oh ya that had CHDK on it" and my SD780IS was too new still for CHDK. I picked an SD1100 for dirt cheap and started trying to catch up on all the new CHDK developments since the last time I was using it ;)

Best of luck to all the programmers, I wish my programming skills were a little better so I could help the effort.

Cheers,

« Reply #114 on: 03 / November / 2010, 08:21:28 »
I have the idea to read out the IS value on a IXUS 1000 HS, so a photographer have better feedback if he hold the camera correct to fit best in IS range.

The thread is really old, in the last year is great progress to chdk done with the canon basic or lUA native.Are there also some newer IS read value software here ?

read also more in this thread.

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5781.0
« Last Edit: 03 / November / 2010, 08:23:19 by Bernd R »
Ixus 1000 HS

« Reply #115 on: 27 / October / 2011, 05:44:23 »
Anyway it appears that if you enable "force manual flash" and then set the power to any of the 3 settings (0,1,2) it only fires once.
Yes, force manual flash just fires the flash with the choosen intensity (duration).
On cameras with adjustable flash intensity there' s also no pre-flash when the intensity is set manually.

Without CHDK, the Canon firmware normally use a pre-flash, at least in Auto / Easy modes...

I have tried this out on the G12 and have seen that in Auto mode on the 1.00G firmware it does not work the picture is not taken and the CHDK freezes the camera. How would I be able to help get this fixed?

Regards
G12 1.00g

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #116 on: 27 / October / 2011, 06:20:27 »

I have tried this out on the G12 and have seen that in Auto mode on the 1.00G firmware it does not work the picture is not taken and the CHDK freezes the camera. How would I be able to help get this fixed?

Regards

Provide detailed steps to reproduce the problem (Canon settings, CHDK settings etc).
If I can reproduce it on my G12 I can probably fix the crash.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #117 on: 27 / October / 2011, 08:45:49 »

Regards

Provide detailed steps to reproduce the problem (Canon settings, CHDK settings etc).
If I can reproduce it on my G12 I can probably fix the crash.

Phil.

Task: Take a photo with AUTO mode forcing the flash to fire.

1. Switch camera to Auto mode
2. Switch CHDK to Force manual flash and power of flash to 2
3. Try and take photo
What I get is the flash icon blinks and you can press and hold and no photo is taken.

Another maybe completely unrelated problem is the graphics window disapearing because of the eye-fi card wireless symbol apearing. As soon as the eye symbol moves the CHDK window disapears.

Would really like to help you guy to develop and get all the bugs sorted out.
G12 1.00g

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #118 on: 28 / October / 2011, 01:20:10 »

3. Try and take photo
What I get is the flash icon blinks and you can press and hold and no photo is taken.

Ok, it's not actually crashing.
By using Auto mode you are confusing the camera - if Auto decides it wants to use the flash then the CHDK flash power override will work. If Auto does not want to use the flash it tries to turn it off; but CHDK is trying to turn it on - so the camera gets confused and won't complete the pre-shot exposure and focus calculations.

Use P mode instead.

Another maybe completely unrelated problem is the graphics window disapearing because of the eye-fi card wireless symbol apearing. As soon as the eye symbol moves the CHDK window disapears.

I'm assuming you are referring to the CHDK menus here?
Make sure you are using a recent version from the autobuild server - it should detect if the camera has erased the screen and redraw the menu.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #119 on: 28 / October / 2011, 04:09:27 »

3. Try and take photo

Ok, it's not actually crashing.
By using Auto mode you are confusing the camera - if Auto decides it wants to use the flash then the CHDK flash power override will work. If Auto does not want to use the flash it tries to turn it off; but CHDK is trying to turn it on - so the camera gets confused and won't complete the pre-shot exposure and focus calculations.

Use P mode instead.

I'm assuming you are referring to the CHDK menus here?
Make sure you are using a recent version from the autobuild server - it should detect if the camera has erased the screen and redraw the menu.

Phil.

So is there a way to force the flash to fire anyway in auto mode? In the other modes you can use the canon options to force flash but in auto that feature is not available. That is why it is important that it works on Auto mode.

CHDK menues yes, I am using 1386 from the autobuild could get 1388. I assume you don't have a Eyefi card. The wifi symbol is a constantly changing one and until it is finished uploading the photos the icon is constantly changing and on some occation it takes some or all of the menu with it. I have taken some pictures for you to see what I mean. It is especially bad when you are in the games option.
G12 1.00g