Video bitrate/quality option for S5 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Video bitrate/quality option for S5

• 14 Replies
Video bitrate/quality option for S5
« on: 01 / June / 2008, 23:05:32 »
Advertisements
In the CHDK manual there are video recording options where you can set the bitrate (up to 6MB/sec as opposed to 2MB/sec on normal), and/or the JPG's frames quality.

There is no such option on the S5's CHDK menu.
Why isn't it there, and will it ever be available?  :(

Offline SPb

Re: Video bitrate/quality option for S5
« Reply #1 on: 03 / June / 2008, 09:05:43 »
I have the same problem, S5IS. No Video Parameters option in the main menu. Hence no access to set Video Parameters: mode, bitrate, quality...  Using allbest-s5is-101b-51-408

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #2 on: 03 / June / 2008, 09:34:12 »
I'm affraid CHDK for S5 does not sport those video options. Maybe in the future, if they find the way to do it.

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
« Reply #3 on: 04 / June / 2008, 22:40:09 »
GASPS! Aww :'(

What exactly is causing this limitation? Is there a thread discussing this accept for this one?
I wanna "Notify" it so that I get notified the second it first comes out for S5. REALLY looking forward to this feature!

I'm affraid CHDK for S5 does not sport those video options. Maybe in the future, if they find the way to do it.
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline jeff666

• A720IS
« Reply #4 on: 05 / June / 2008, 06:41:00 »

We know how to do it, wap4 did it for the A720, it's just some (boring) work.

Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: 05 / June / 2008, 08:16:48 »

We know how to do it, wap4 did it for the A720, it's just some (boring) work.

Cheers.

"boring work"? That's your answer as a developer who likes to write programs? :)
We are not talking about converting the camera into a GPS combined with MP3 player.... :)

This is a very useful feature, unlike many ridiculus features which are being proposed here on this section...
Since the S5 is TRULY a video-camera... (you can zoom while you shoot, AF AE are enabled during the record), and it even has it's on cam-cording button to let you shoot a movie anytime, everywhere, this is a must feature, not much less than the RAW shoot feature...

Offline jeff666

• A720IS
« Reply #6 on: 05 / June / 2008, 09:02:59 »
We are not talking about converting the camera into a GPS combined with MP3 player.... :)

Well, that would be interesting  8)

This is a very useful feature, unlike many ridiculus features which are being proposed here on this section...

In that case you'll better get it startet. Here's the discussion from the A720.

Basic idea:
1. We duplicate the appropriate function(s) that handle movie recording from the original firmware into CHDK.
2. We modify that code to enable features we want implemented.

The source-file in CHDK is platform/xxx/sub/xxx/movie_rec.c which has a function that is called from platform/xxx/sub/xxx/boot.c. Check the A720-source (platform/a720/sub/100c/movie_rec.c) to get an idea of how it's supposed to look like.

Cheers.

« Reply #7 on: 05 / June / 2008, 18:15:16 »
I know only basic C programming in DOS... otherwise i would have done it myself by now.
Maybe i'll expand my C knowledge for that purpose, but it will surely take much time until i reach a level to develop a software for CHDK.

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
« Reply #8 on: 05 / June / 2008, 19:08:47 »
Hehe same here :) (except I am clueless in C entirely). Does anybody know any good tutorials to learn C. CHDK is just one more reason for me to learn it :P I was thinking Java or C...guess I'm learning C this summer :)

I know only basic C programming in DOS... otherwise i would have done it myself by now.
Maybe i'll expand my C knowledge for that purpose, but it will surely take much time until i reach a level to develop a software for CHDK.

Since the S5 is TRULY a video-camera... (you can zoom while you shoot, AF AE are enabled during the record), and it even has it's on cam-cording button to let you shoot a movie anytime, everywhere, this is a must feature, not much less than the RAW shoot feature...
Haha yeah, that's why I love my S5. Speaking of editing features, it would be cool if you could cut stuff out in the middle of the videos  ;). Also...cropping fotos. Would be kool :)

Also another thing...it seems Canon caps a lot of its features (ex: shutter speed). Maybe...the S5 has the capabilities of writing 720p video...you never know :). I am pretty sure my card could handle it (Class 6). If not I can always buy a faster card. If 720p video is unlocked it would be kool tu (I rly gotta stop usin' abbrvs :D)
« Last Edit: 05 / June / 2008, 19:14:19 by adcz »
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

« Reply #9 on: 06 / June / 2008, 06:07:43 »
It works on my TX-1, which takes 1280x720 video@30 fps, allows for zoom & shooting while filming, and here's the kicker...

I don't even use that video bitrate/quality menu!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!

Naw, I'm just kidding. I do, but I don't really understand what it's supposed to do, video compared to video. In other words, what's the quality setting for the camera not running chdk? I can raise mine to a point, and then the buffer gets filled too quickly. 96%, I think.
What should I notice about two videos, one without chdk, and one with the quality boosted?

Thanks.
Whoa-Hey! Careful where you point that thing. You're gonna shoot someone!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking