A550 - Script both stills and video? - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

A550 - Script both stills and video?

• 11 Replies
A550 - Script both stills and video?
« on: 06 / July / 2008, 06:21:28 »
Advertisements
I'm building the imaging payload for an amateur high altitude balloon that will fly in August - with a pair of A550's.

What I would like to do is write a script that will work on roughly, a 2 minute loop.

Top of the first minute, do a 30 second movie

Then, top of the second minute, start a series of 8 stills at 5s intervals - possibly with bracketing +/- 2ev to ensure good coverage of the fairly dynamic scene you get at 50, 60, 80, 100,000 ft.

This, tied to the chaotic motion of the payload - should give us both movies to visualise how much the thing is moving around, and then a cluster of stills from which we can produce mosaics.

Before I set out to write the script - I just need to know, is it possible to have one script running on loop that can take both movies and stills?   Also - most of the scripts I've sen written here us variables to make an adaptable and customisable script.  That's just a 'nice' feature, right, there's no actual need to do that - one could just hard-code the whole thing in.

Any help and pointers much appreciated.

Doug

Offline zeno

Re: A550 - Script both stills and video?
« Reply #1 on: 06 / July / 2008, 06:36:26 »
There's no support in the official builds for switching between stills and video. However, thanks to Jeff666, code does exist to do the job, on some cameras. I currently support the A570 and A720 (see CHDK Mode Dial Support) and Vine has a build for the A560 (see chdk files  » Blog Archive   » Dial mode support for A560). I can't say how easy it would be to support the A550 - I don't have one to test, but you could look at the source code of the A570 version (see above pointer).
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline cyril42e

• SD1000/Ixus70 1.02a
    • CR-TEKnologies
« Reply #2 on: 06 / July / 2008, 19:02:20 »
Some cameras have a user-definable button, that can be set to video recording. So it can do the trick by simulating button clicks (shutter -> stills, special button -> video). But I don't know if this is the case for A550.

« Reply #3 on: 06 / August / 2008, 19:18:51 »
Well  - I've found an A560 - but using Vine's script is not giving me any luck.  The firmware goes on, no problem at all, and any other script works great - but it only shoots stills and nothing else, other DM clicks or presses don't work - and the demo script on his page just does nothing :(

Looks like I'll be stuck on Stills only.   Maybe next time!

« Reply #4 on: 08 / August / 2008, 00:23:31 »
djellison,
Where in the world are you based? I'm doing pretty much the same thing using two Ixus 70's (no video for me though) and a tiny tracker (300mW aprs transmitter).
I'm in New Zealand at the moment but I'm off to the UK to live (again) in a few days so the launch will take place over there.

Cheers

John

« Reply #5 on: 08 / August / 2008, 05:28:50 »
I'm in Leicester - the project is this - http://www.pegasushabproject.org.uk/wiki/doku.php (HAPS1) - but we've actually delayed two weeks - the flight predicts were dreadful (North Sea dreadful)

Hopefully between now and then I can figure this vid/pic problem out :)

Doug

« Reply #6 on: 20 / August / 2008, 03:56:31 »
Any news on this? I was just about to ask the same question as I am also a part of a team that plans to launch a camera-equipped weather balloon. It would be great if we could shoot both photos and videos with the same camera (as we are only planing on using one camera).

Offline zeno

« Reply #7 on: 20 / August / 2008, 04:07:11 »
There are builds that let scripts switch between stills and video for the A560, A570 and A720 here
CHDK Mode Dial Support

I have an as yet untested A550 build - email me at daveATzenonic.demon.co.uk if you want to test it.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #8 on: 25 / August / 2008, 03:10:46 »
Thanks! We are going to buy a A570is as is seems to be the best choice (well tested with your build).
BTW... any chance that this modifications will be included in some 'official' build (Morebest?) sometime in the future?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #9 on: 25 / August / 2008, 03:49:39 »
you could also use a s-series camera, as they can shoot both stills AND videos, regardless of mode dial position.
other than that, i think we should come up with a solution on how to include a GENERIC mode dial support for all cams (included in trunk or branch then). i lack the skills though :(