A2000 IS dump - Firmware Dumping - CHDK Forum

A2000 IS dump

• 39 Replies
A2000 IS dump
« on: 12 / December / 2008, 17:39:53 »
Advertisements
I am trying to get firmware out, but so far unscucessfully.

Using CardTricks, NewDryOS dumper, locking cart. Startup Camera (doing nothing, no diod light as expected), waiting for 30+ seconds, remove batteries, dump file still filled with zeros.

I am new to the job, maybe I am doing something wrong. Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Offline reyalp

Re: A2000 IS dump
« Reply #1 on: 12 / December / 2008, 17:55:38 »
If you've followed the instructions correctly, it means that method probably doesn't work on A2000. You could try the regular dryos on the off chance it doesn't need to be encoded.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 12 / December / 2008, 18:07:56 »
Tried, with regular dryos, it normally starts with a message card locked. I've seen that someone on this forum already dumped the A1000 IS whitch is almost similar, so it shoult work somehow.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #3 on: 13 / December / 2008, 09:23:16 »
exander,
use a small SD card with a size of max. 1GB with cardtricks v1.43.
To check whether writing to the card is ok in Cardtricks, select your Card, press "Format as FAT", then "Make Bootable" - you should get not error messages...

Then press "NewDryOS" & read the messages...

Now remove the card from the reader and LOCK it, put it into the camera, start the cam in playback mode.
You'll see no LEDS or display messages, do not touch any buttons, do not move the camera, just wait for at least 1 or better 2 minutes. Then remove the SD card, remove & reinsert the batteries.

Insert the SD card to the card reader, start Cardtricks, select the card.
Click "Strings" -> you should get a list of strings after some seconds...
With "Clean" in Cardtricks you can remove the leading and trailing zero bytes from the dump...

Good luck !

« Reply #4 on: 13 / December / 2008, 10:04:35 »
exander,
use a small SD card with a size of max. 1GB with cardtricks v1.43.
To check whether writing to the card is ok in Cardtricks, select your Card, press "Format as FAT", then "Make Bootable" - you should get not error messages...

Then press "NewDryOS" & read the messages...

So far so good.

Now remove the card from the reader and LOCK it, put it into the camera, start the cam in playback mode.

I am not exactly sure how to do it, my Camera has a power (on/off) button, Play button, which normally turns on the camera in playback mode (there is no playback mode on "rotating button" on the top), so I think I should start it using this playback mode. Another methot? I also tried to start it normally at the shooting mode, without any change.

You'll see no LEDS or display messages, do not touch any buttons, do not move the camera, just wait for at least 1 or better 2 minutes. Then remove the SD card, remove & reinsert the batteries.

Yes, no leds, no display message, nada. (Playback button or on/off button, any button do nothing). So I think I is actually booting from the card. In my camera card bay and battery bey is joint together. So when I want to remove SD card, I also unplug the bateries.

Insert the SD card to the card reader, start Cardtricks, select the card.
Click "Strings" -> you should get a list of strings after some seconds...
With "Clean" in Cardtricks you can remove the leading and trailing zero bytes from the dump...

Good luck !

Dump is still filled with zeros only.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #5 on: 13 / December / 2008, 10:57:47 »
How about starting with USB cable connected to a PC which has Canon PTP compatible drivers installed (and the same with just USB voltage such as a CHDK remote trigger)? In other cameras USB only works in PLAY mode by default, maybe a PTP session would force startup in PLAY mode and if we're lucky, allow the dumper to work its magic.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #6 on: 13 / December / 2008, 11:25:20 »
@fudgey

I'm not sure starting up in play mode is the problem here - the cam does seem to like the diskboot.bin, if not
he would get a 'Card locked' message or something, no ?

Playback button or on/off button, any button do nothing

so the cam appears 'dead' as expected during a dump

wim

@exander : try another card, if available
« Last Edit: 13 / December / 2008, 11:28:18 by whim »

« Reply #7 on: 13 / December / 2008, 11:44:55 »
Tried with USB Cable, with 32 MB SD card shipped with Camera and with 2 GB Transcendent 133x SD Card, I could try my mobile Micro SD with reduction, but I don't know what should be the problem, dump is still empty (filled with zeros).

I found here version of udumper 2008 which should turn off and on dion at the start and at the and of the dumping, but it doesn't work for me. No led effect visible? Should I change somehow led diod address?
« Last Edit: 13 / December / 2008, 12:40:54 by exander »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #8 on: 13 / December / 2008, 12:53:58 »
Hmm... it starts to look like we've got a cam here that resists udumper.

If you're in for experimentation, i compiled a couple of alternative diskboot.bin for you to try, maybe i should explain first:
diskboot.bin is actually only 176 bytes in size, but for unknown (?) reasons needs to be padded out
with ~ 16 kB of 0's - the ones i have attached here in the form of a zip file have different amounts of padding.

just use your previously created udumper card and replace the 'diskboot.bin' with an alternate one from the zip
(you need to rename it to 'diskboot.bin', evidently)

wim

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: 13 / December / 2008, 13:07:25 by whim »

« Reply #9 on: 13 / December / 2008, 13:36:07 »
I tried about half of the bootbins, but nothing so far, dump is still empty, but cumera is dead as expected using every dump.

Meantime, I am becoming a master in opening SD card bay with one hand.  :D