the sx20 porting thread - page 59 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

the sx20 porting thread

• 1286 Replies
Re: the sx20 porting thread
« Reply #580 on: 11 / May / 2010, 04:52:48 »
Advertisements
Hello. what's new for the firmware after the new year? I see that "b" is updated, but for "F" heard nothing.

I don't have that camera so its a little bit silly for me to make a build, especially when changes might be needed. It does need to be updated and viulian is probably the person to do it. Again life has got in the way.

On a side note I don't think many people with the 100f are following this anymore, no one has replied to my questions regarding it.

« Reply #581 on: 11 / May / 2010, 09:43:06 »
What's the difference between firmware versions? (... b, c, d, f. ..)
possible and necessary to update the other versions of the firmware? (what's done?)

« Reply #582 on: 11 / May / 2010, 09:49:18 »
@Fredrock and @ultimA

I can probably port another version of the SX20 in a few days once the 102b is done and I have a valid firmware dump. You can dump it out by reading http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Porting_the_CHDK#Q._How_can_I_get_a_firmware_dump.3F and some of the posts at the start of this thread.

Ill look into this... From what ive understood the other FW's were done via a hardware dump and not a software dump. So ill look into this...
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS ~FW-1.02C~

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #583 on: 11 / May / 2010, 10:43:24 »
Hope you don't mind a few comments on your guide, please don't be offended.
4) It's a good idea to check spelling more than a couple of times also.

Definitely, no offense taken...

I wrote the main document a couple of weeks ago and tweaked a little to help out @rpisano. In my haste to make the document available I didn't re-read everything again. I don't normally publish documents until I have another person proof it. I re-read it and found several mis-spelling, etc.  I should have mentioned the paraphrasing instead of using "..." I've gotten into the habit of using the "..." to indicate paraphrashing with my co-workers. I've got to be careful of that for other folks.

Much of this documentation in particular has come after experimenting with the information provided by many others on the CHDK home page. All I did was to document the procedures that were successful for me in the hope that it might also help other forum members.

Thanks for your comments.

Here is an updated document for Windows users:
http://rapidshare.com/files/386183256/Installing_CHDK_on_SD_Cards__Windows_OS_.pdf
PS. The reason I wrote this is due in large part because of the GREAT work done on 1.02b by others, especially ACID2000. ACID2000, I know you've read this before, but GREAT job!

Good luck to all using CHDK!
« Last Edit: 11 / May / 2010, 17:02:45 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #584 on: 12 / May / 2010, 00:03:37 »
Skywalker, thanks for the installation tutorial.  It seems very comprehensive.

One question.  I installed to an 8Gb Sandisk SD card.  Contrary to point 21, I found that I had to install the CHDK folder to the larger partition.  The camera only looked there for scripts, grids, etc.

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

« Reply #585 on: 12 / May / 2010, 12:17:16 »
Hello,

I've got a SX20IS with fw 1.02C.  I've looked at a lot of posts here though there has been some mention of it, I cannot determine the status of the port for 1.02C.  I see that there is a beta for 1.02B.  Do we need a fw dump of 1.02C or is that already available?  I tried to get one using the cardtricks dumpers but they either won't boot or display 'locked card'.  I'm willing to try to get the fw blinked out of my unit, but I don't want to go to the trouble if there is already a good dump of the fw available. 

Bob

« Reply #586 on: 12 / May / 2010, 12:17:53 »
wish I could delete this double post

« Reply #587 on: 12 / May / 2010, 14:24:31 »
@rseery, there is no 102c fw. You need to dump your firmware using the blink method.

« Reply #588 on: 12 / May / 2010, 15:24:09 »
Ok.  Then can anyone help me with the blinker fw?  I'm thinking that whatever they got working to blink out 1.02B should work since the hardware is the same.  If I can get the blinker code to flash lights on this camera,  I will get the hardware working to get this dump.

Bob

Offline xavan

« Reply #589 on: 12 / May / 2010, 16:08:20 »
Ok.  Then can anyone help me with the blinker fw?  I'm thinking that whatever they got working to blink out 1.02B should work since the hardware is the same.  If I can get the blinker code to flash lights on this camera,  I will get the hardware working to get this dump.

Bob

There is the software I used to blink out the fw 1.02B :
http://www.mediafire.com/?mczlmm3ntyr
I changed the speed to 4800 bps as the response time of my hw was too slow for 9600 bps.
I used the firmware update method, see http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,4188.msg43701.html#msg43701
The dump shall after be processed with a.exe not dec.exe (file in the decode folder).

Good luck . . .