"StereoData Maker" v. 1.40 Released - Microfunguy's Builds - CHDK Forum

"StereoData Maker" v. 1.40 Released

• 18 Replies
"StereoData Maker" v. 1.40 Released
« on: 03 / February / 2008, 07:59:25 »
Advertisements
In collaboration with Damir Vrancic (designer of the '3D Lanc Master') the latest release of SDM provides the following :-

All the features of Fingalo 128 and selected AllBest features.

The website includes a history of CHDK and a design for electronics that enables full-speed continuous-mode synchronised stereo shooting with external flash at shutter speeds up to 1/1000 sec.

Other features are :-

Drift-free synchronisation at up to 1/20,000 sec with twinned-cameras for virtually no additional cost.
No hardwiring required and no vulnerable external equipment.
Single-shot, delayed single-shot and full-speed continuous-mode synchronised-shooting with external flash at shutter-speeds up to 1/1000 sec.
Synchronising of any number of multiple cameras with fixed or progressive flash-delay.
Overriding of shutter-speed to provide values from 65 seconds to 1/40,000 sec in 1/3EV increments.
New on-screen-display options include two 'Rangefinder' modes that allow you to set the near and far-point distance by using the lens telephoto setting as a rangefinder.
The resulting scene-deviation is then displayed as a horizontal bargraph .. coloured red if it exceeds your maximum-permissible deviation and required-aperture is indicated.
<ALT> + <FuncSet> then  moves lens to calculated optimum-focus for the subject-range..
'Get image-stack' in continuous-shooting mode acquires images at varying focus positions for creating extended depth-of-field images
'Show SDM Configuration' for quick overview of settings
On-screen displays individually enabled and all enabled displays toggled on/off by shutter half-press + key_right

Download here :-

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
Re: "StereoData Maker" v. 1.40 Released
« Reply #1 on: 03 / February / 2008, 08:10:22 »
what about slightly different models?
at zoom less than 4x, smaller than F2.8 apertures and more than 5 cm focus, the A710IS and A570IS are basically identical.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_a570is%2Ccanon_a710is&show=all

and I didn't really find an answer to this, how are their shutters synced to trigger simultaneously?
USB connection, some sort of blinker or how?
does the SDM sync the settings too?
« Last Edit: 03 / February / 2008, 08:54:26 by a710is »

« Reply #2 on: 03 / February / 2008, 09:44:30 »
and I didn't really find an answer to this, how are their shutters synced to trigger simultaneously?
USB connection, some sort of blinker or how?
does the SDM sync the settings too?

They are using USB connection. You need the battery, push-button and two USB cables (parallel connection) to the cameras. The actual picture is taken when the button is RELEASED (thanks Zosim!).
Settings are not synced. Should be set manually or by the script.

« Reply #3 on: 03 / February / 2008, 12:08:14 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 10:47:39 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #4 on: 03 / February / 2008, 12:23:27 »
Now all you need is a RAW Develop feature and merge feature where you can make the red/blue pairs IN camera.
(Oh wait, that wouldn't work, the 2 images are on 2 different SD cards in 2 different cameras. Well, you could have one camera do the blue one and the other do the red one. :) Merge them later.)

Hi Barney.

Always keep your left/right images, never directly create anaglyphs.

(Direct anaglyph creation in the camera  was once done with a lens called Q-DOS (I think)).

I can guarantee this ... more and more people will become interested in stereo in the next few years.

After 100 years of occasional ups-and-downs we are now ready for consumer stereo that hopefully will not hurt your eyes.

HD TV's based on Texas Instruments 3D DLP technology are becoming available at hardly any more cost than an ordinary HDTV.

Your images will need to be in 16:9 aspect-ratio and one of two image sizes.

SDM has a 16:9 mask to help you do that.

You then need to combine bits of the left/right images using a chequer-board mask.

The next verion of "StereoPhoto Maker" will do that for you.

You have everything you need   :)

David

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #5 on: 04 / February / 2008, 11:27:17 »
so would the A570/A710 pairing work the right way?
and as I have the usb button with 1 USB port do I need some sort of USB splitter in order to have the current sent to 2 cameras?

« Reply #6 on: 04 / February / 2008, 14:43:15 »
so would the A570/A710 pairing work the right way?

Download the correct versions of SDM for your cameras and install on clean cards  with no other files on them.

I will PM you with further details.

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #7 on: 04 / February / 2008, 16:40:08 »
the guy that has the A570 is now hundreds of kms away. I will only be able to do the phisical pairing of the cameras when I will meet up with him for sporting events in various cities but I'll see what I can do, maybe he'll be able to do what you wrote, don't know, he's a bit amateur now  :D.
10x
« Last Edit: 04 / February / 2008, 16:42:09 by a710is »

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #8 on: 13 / February / 2008, 15:05:50 »
Sorry to post in the release notification thread, but I <3 you guys (and Dr. Vrancic) greatly. I've been daydreaming of this for YEARS. And it's literally within sight! Imagine a pair of the smallest IXUSs, with a re-worked shutter release PCB layout so that it's under the width of the camera body... full-frame twinned & perfectly sync'd stereo in 6+ Mbit RAW, that fits in your pocket, for a couple hundred dollars.

I'm going to cry.
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
 we ought to know a little about everything.
-- Blaise Pascal

« Reply #9 on: 17 / February / 2008, 08:58:41 »
Imagine a pair of the smallest IXUSs, with a re-worked shutter release PCB layout so that it's under the width of the camera body

The actual shutter-release does not need a PCB of course.
I am thinking of adding tiny sockets on one camera that connect to the other with a tiny piece of ribbon cable.

The second camera would have an additional pair of sockets where you plugin wires that connect to a hand grip containing the continuous-shooting flash PCB.

I'm going to cry.

Don't do that, join the Yahoo StereoData Maker Group :-

StereoDataMaker : StereoData Maker

David