POLL: Which missing features would you like to see? - page 4 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum  

Poll

Pick up to 12 features you'd like to see in the future of CHDK

Exposure control in movie mode (some cameras don't have this). -- ------
79 (3.7%)
LCD/EVF backlight switch, brightness control. -------------------------
74 (3.5%)
Program-Shift Mode (in cameras that don't have it). -------------------
19 (0.9%)
Custom Auto-ISO (was being worked on last I saw). Done!  ---------------------
16 (0.8%)
Use of USB port to control external devices. --------------------------
103 (4.9%)
Remote Capture (PTP) via USB on cameras without. ----------------------
108 (5.1%)
Swapping out CHDK versions from within CHDK. --------------------------
42 (2%)
2nd Curtain Flash Sync (in cameras without). --------------------------
36 (1.7%)
"Best Shot" selector (poor man's IS). ---------------------------------
34 (1.6%)
File-Compression for RAW (and Script Files?). -------------------------
71 (3.4%)
Customizable Menus. Done!  ---------------------------------------------------
16 (0.8%)
Dark-Frame filesaving for manual DF-Subtraction. ----------------------
75 (3.5%)
Xvid/DivX Video Compression. ------------------------------------------
116 (5.5%)
Flash Exposure Compensation - (manual) Flash Output Override. ---------
53 (2.5%)
Make PC see camera as standard external storage device. ---------------
139 (6.6%)
Sound activated shutter control. --------------------------------------
134 (6.3%)
Audio-recording level meter. ------------------------------------------
67 (3.2%)
Mass file-renaming. ---------------------------------------------------
35 (1.7%)
Alternative Color-Space Profiles. -------------------------------------
33 (1.6%)
In-Focus Highlighting (highlighting in-focus subject matter). ---------
81 (3.8%)
Save RAW in DNG format (similar to previous request). -----------------
94 (4.4%)
Zoom-Override in Super-Macro Mode (for tele-macro use). ---------------
75 (3.5%)
JPG Quality Compression Override/Settings. ----------------------------
111 (5.3%)
Customizable CHDK configurations (select favorite configs from a menu).
90 (4.3%)
Download photos to Flash-drive (w/o PC tether). -----------------------
73 (3.5%)
Av, Tv, M Modes in cameras without. Av Tv Done!------------------------------
28 (1.3%)
Format SD card in camera and retain CHDK on card. ---------------------
131 (6.2%)
LCD/EVF Color Adjust. -------------------------------------------------
19 (0.9%)
Built-in text & script file editor. -----------------------------------
51 (2.4%)
ND-Filter Override Mode (in cameras without). Done!  -------------------------
11 (0.5%)
Mode-Dial setting through script control. -----------------------------
43 (2%)
Extra audio-recording sampling rates (for cameras without). -----------
57 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 336

POLL: Which missing features would you like to see?

• 148 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: POLL: Which missing features would you like to see?
« Reply #30 on: 12 / March / 2008, 15:28:04 »
Advertisements
i already had my thoughts about that, and will definitly try to implement some kind of editor. the color chooser will transformed into a letter chooser where you can quickly choose letters and numbers.at least that is in my mind. first i gotta finish my other stuff though :(

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #31 on: 14 / March / 2008, 08:17:04 »
i thought of a little bit more "script intelligent" one with list of uBasic keywords/macros, so all you need to write are variable names and literals. Sth like proposals/macros with Ctrl+Space in Eclipse IDE.
Hey m2tk, you came back to edit your post and mention Eclipse! Bad move! That make us think you have some experience with C language. Now you will have to help us with the script editor. :haha

Should we keep this poll general? I opened a new topic to continue the discussion of the script editor File/script editor

« Reply #32 on: 14 / March / 2008, 18:31:25 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:09:55 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline m2tk

• Sheet happens ...
« Reply #33 on: 16 / March / 2008, 14:48:02 »
Hey m2tk, you came back to edit your post and mention Eclipse! Bad move! That make us think you have some experience with C language. Now you will have to help us with the script editor. :haha

hi wontolla,
i would like to help somehow but my knowlegde of C is at basic level.
Though i'm certified Java programmer so i know how to program there is only need to learn new syntax & OS related stuff and 'ebuy' some spare time.
regards.
S5IS 1.01bc

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #34 on: 12 / April / 2008, 18:44:13 »
to add to these I would like HD video recording (1280 x whatever @ whatever fps). 720p would be nice but I've watched "Tokyo Drift" @ 1280 x 544 / 23 fps and can't complain.
I can't get over the coolness of the TX1 720p samples I've seen and I'd really like to try and see how the video would look on my cam with minimum compression :)
I hope that this and other video improvements will be possible (ISO limit, (auto) exposure compensation, S series focus behaviour etc)
« Last Edit: 12 / April / 2008, 18:51:51 by a710is »

« Reply #35 on: 13 / April / 2008, 04:39:11 »
Remote Capture (PTP) via USB on cameras without

This option is unfair, only the few people with cam models without this feature will vote for this (like me and my PowerShot A550).
I hope this will take in count

Full ACK. Remote control is the feature i missed most, when i took my A720IS out of the box.

Thanks to the developers for that great software
Polarigel

« Reply #36 on: 18 / April / 2008, 08:20:16 »
For "Use of USB port to control external devices. ":
Besides maybe complex data communication features, I would VERY much like a very basic function to output pulses to the USB port. Something like:

set_usb_power 1
sleep 100
set_usb_power 0

or: usb_pulse 100 (?)

Hopefully there is enough power to control external servos, e.g. for rotating the camera. (This would provide a lightweight and simple solution for my wishes for kite aerial photography).

« Last Edit: 18 / April / 2008, 10:13:23 by fabphoto »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #37 on: 18 / April / 2008, 12:32:57 »
The camera's USB port can't toggle the USB power lines. The computer always powers the bus, not the camera.

But the status of the data line can obviously be changed by the camera, at least when a proper USB supply voltage is present. We just don't know how, but you are right that even the ability to slowly toggle the state would be great progress even if we couldn't follow USB protocol to transfer data quickly and in a compatible way. Even finding a way to make the camera draw more current from the USB Vdd would allow us to have some communication with the camera by measuring the current it's drawing.

But you can do simple binary I/O even now using the LEDs, but you obviously need to build an optical receiver and mount it properly for it to be useful.

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #38 on: 18 / April / 2008, 15:40:56 »
But the status of the data line can obviously be changed by the camera, at least when a proper USB supply voltage is present. We just don't know how, but you are right that even the ability to slowly toggle the state would be great progress even if we couldn't follow USB protocol to transfer data quickly and in a compatible way.

Somewhere in dpreview forum I found:
Is is possible to change state one of two USB data lines (near to USB power input ) writing bit 2 to port 0xC0721000 (1-high, 0-low). But before any operation with this port it is necessary to apply voltage to USB power line, otherwise camera hangs. It is tested on a710, for other digic2 cameras this address should be the same.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #39 on: 18 / April / 2008, 16:24:06 »
Somewhere in dpreview forum I found:
Is is possible to change state one of two USB data lines (near to USB power input ) writing bit 2 to port 0xC0721000 (1-high, 0-low). But before any operation with this port it is necessary to apply voltage to USB power line, otherwise camera hangs. It is tested on a710, for other digic2 cameras this address should be the same.

Now that's very interesting. I have a Digic III camera so I can't test that, but I suppose similar address could exist on Digic III as well. USB is supposed to be driven differentially i.e. switching one of the data lines should turn the other one opposite, but if the USB port is built in the processor and just protected and maybe buffered by USB power, it's no surprise if there's a register in the processor that can toggle the lines independently.

Do these cameras have separate USB interface chips or is it all integrated in the processor sans maybe some ferrites and ESD diodes?

As to why the camera hangs if USB power is not supplied is slightly weird and I suppose the worst case scenario would be bad hardware design from Canon causing excess current sourcing from the USB I/O pins due to an USB interface chip or buffer lacking power. This kind of things tend to be hard to manage at boot time (and USB interface chips often take power from both sides to solve these problems and level conversion issues as well) so I find it an unlikely cause which makes me guess the hang is intended behavior to protect from faulty hw (the camera's firmware should never have a reason to write to those I/O pins unless it has detected USB power).

But anyway we already have a way to find out to check for USB power for most(?) of the cameras, so if that's all it takes it should be easy to allow safe serial data output from an externally powered USB data port to a non-standard serial line. What your quote doesn't say is how fast you can toggle this... if it's up to normal USB transfer speed the sky's the limit and we just need to stitch up some hardware to get this thing connected to a computer. This could be one more alternative to blinkers as well.