Battery third (temp) terminal as multipurpose analogue input - page 18 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

Battery third (temp) terminal as multipurpose analogue input

• 199 Replies

Offline philmoz

• Photos
Re: Battery third (temp) terminal as multipurpose analogue input
« Reply #170 on: 25 / April / 2014, 22:45:08 »
Advertisements
A tested patch file that fully implements this functionality, suitable for inclusion in the 1.3.0 trunk, is attached below.  Only the SD940 and SX200 are currently enabled in their platform_camera.h files as these are the only cameras that have been tested.  Others can be enabled as required.

I followed srsa_4c's notes from here for VxWorks vs DryOS cameras :  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10385.msg109353#msg109353  but was not able to fully test as I don't have a VxWorks camera that takes a LiPo battery (my A560 uses AA cells).  Also, for the exception cameras noted, the GetAdChValue(int channel) wrapper is implements as "weak" so that it can be overridden on an individual camera basis in their lib.c or kbd.c files (for example).

Tested on my sd940 after some delicate surgery on the dummy battery that came with my cheap Chinese power supply.   

As an FYI,  the NB-7L used in the G10 and several other cameras has four terminals rather that three.   I did a little sleuthing with the DVM that shows me this :
  • 7.8V
  • 10K thermistor (other side connected to terminal 4)
  • 3.7V (i.e. half way up the battery stack)
  • Common (or ground)
Note : numbered from the edge of the battery in.

@philmoz : I think I got the menu additions correct but I would appreciate if you would take a look - the last couple of times I've thought that I've been wrong.

Added to trunk in revision 3426.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #171 on: 25 / April / 2014, 22:52:43 »
Added to trunk in revision 3426.
Thanks Phil  :D

I think the way to proceed here is to enable individual cameras in the autobuild after someone tests and reports success. 

I'll update the USB Remote 2 docs to that effect.  I'm also thinking it's time to add a "Bullet Time" wiki page linking all the various forum threads and 1.3.0 build options.  In my "spare time" that is ...
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #172 on: 13 / May / 2014, 17:18:09 »
The new menu option 'input channel' is somewhat unfortunate. I think, this option should be only available if a A/D channel was defined in platform_camera.h.

There are many cameras without the possibility of a A/D input (all cameras with standard batteries). For this cameras is this menu option useless.

A menu entry should be an indicator for the presence of a function.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #173 on: 13 / May / 2014, 17:35:32 »
The additional menu entry is only supposed to appear if the A/D channel is defined.  If you are seeing it otherwise it's a bug.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #174 on: 13 / May / 2014, 17:46:05 »
Ok, then it seems a bug. My cameras show the entry. And I have several notes about this menu entry received from other users.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #175 on: 13 / May / 2014, 18:29:33 »
I'll look at it tonight.  Should be simple.

« Reply #176 on: 26 / May / 2014, 01:59:34 »
Hello all you nice people out there in the world, doing all the nice things to nice cameras!  :D

I was having my first "real" gig with my rig these days: I had the camera set up in a public space, with two light barriers: one that put the system into "ready-to-shoot"state, and the other one actually triggered the shot. It was a huge challenge for me and I really was in a cold sweat all the time. The biggest problem I had were the USB hubs, which completely lost the connection to the PC from time to time, preferably when VIPs entered the set.

However the next project followed immediately, so I did not have the time to follow the discussion here, I hope to read back this thread the upcoming days.

At the moment I am cutting together some footage made from the rig, right now I only have this small video here:

Have fun with that! Thanks again to all you for helping me this become true!
« Last Edit: 26 / May / 2014, 02:01:48 by Karmaschinken »

« Reply #177 on: 26 / May / 2014, 04:15:51 »
Looking forward to seeing your final cuts.

What video-editing software do you use ?

Have you made any changes to reyalp's Multicam script ?

David

« Reply #178 on: 05 / June / 2014, 12:55:24 »
Hi All

I read all posts (Page 1 - 18), I just couldnt stop ...
I must say that it is pleasure to see how everyone help & contribute to this forum.

I learned from 0 - 90% in a day ... still I have some open questions and one personnal issue - I dont know  how to code...  :'(

for a newbie like me , short summary on temp battery trigger

Requirements:

Camera side
1. Canon camera with Li Battery (3pin )
2. Supported canon camera with CHDK fw  + custom camera (acc. to model) patch
3. Auto start script (going into rec/capture mode)
4. Battery door open script
5. Temp trigger shutter script (acc. to model)
6. Dummy battery (circuit )
7. Power supply
8. Trigger tool (option A - power switch , option B - Adruino board)

PC
1. CHDK PTP & code

Open question
1. Is multicamera.lua required in order to manage all camera from pc ?
2. Is there an issue with usb remote & connecting the camera to pc ? Is additional "switch between mode" script required ?

Karmaschinken, it will be vary helpful if you explain more about your code

Once again, thank you all for putting it out there especially for newbie like me 

« Reply #179 on: 05 / June / 2014, 13:21:16 »
I learned from 0 - 90% in a day ... still I have some open questions and one personnal issue - I dont know  how to code...  :'(
You don't need to be able to code to use the battery 3rd terminal trigger. You just need a custom build of CHDK where this feature is turned on.  Someone here will no doubt be happy to do that for you once you have settled on a camera model.

You will need to be able to setup and configure the code for the PC side.  The complexity of that task will vary with your expectations.

You will also need to be able to build/buy/borrow and setup the necessary cabling and hardware to make this all work.

« Last Edit: 05 / June / 2014, 14:38:52 by waterwingz »