CHDKplus.lua : adding M, Tv, Av, ISO+ exposure modes with a GUI - page 12 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

CHDKplus.lua : adding M, Tv, Av, ISO+ exposure modes with a GUI

• 141 Replies
Re: CHDKplus.lua : adding M, Tv, Av, ISO+ exposure modes with a GUI
« Reply #110 on: 04 / October / 2014, 15:29:11 »
Advertisements
Switching to view mode when script runs, it displays help screen, but in settings are that help are off. This info just for info.
The Help message box will appear if you press a key that the script was not expecting or does not use.  I'm guessing you press the Playback button to switch to "view" mode?  I'll look at that - as usual, its not something I've tried myself.

Are there any reason, that I can go up to only 64 sec and not any more?
Because that's the longest time that I build into the strings the script uses.  You can add more and extend the time if you want.  Just edit the tv_ref,  tv_val, and tv_str lists at lines 192, 200, and 209 respectively.   I suppose I could add a few more at the next script update - maybe 2,3,4,5,10 minutes.   But you'll find you start to get a lot of dark frame noise once you go past about 30 seconds.

Can you consider add settings that focus are manually to infinite or auto?
Manual focus in CHDK is still a bit problematic although it has been much improved in 1.3.0.  How would you like this to work - what would the GUI do ?   Let you scroll through several distance settings like the Tv, Av, Sv modes work?   I'm running out of screen space so it might be tough to fit that in.  Or just have a "focus @ infininty" option in the script parameter menu?

Sorry my bad english
Your english is more that good enough.  Much better than my command of any other language.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #111 on: 05 / October / 2014, 05:34:23 »
Manual focus in CHDK is still a bit problematic although it has been much improved in 1.3.0.  How would you like this to work - what would the GUI do ?   Let you scroll through several distance settings like the Tv, Av, Sv modes work?   I'm running out of screen space so it might be tough to fit that in.  Or just have a "focus @ infininty" option in the script parameter menu?
Probably a second screen is a solution for focus operations. We can use FUNC.SET to toggle the screen.
There are some interesting focus settings:
- infinity
- hyperfocal distance
- manual distance setting (incl. step width settings for the distance setting)
- displaying of the setting result (Shows the real possibilities of the camera.)

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #112 on: 05 / October / 2014, 08:10:46 »

Just wondering ... and keep boring WW...  eh,eh,eh... but CHDKPlus is "the" script.

maybe that ev needle scale (on the right side) could become a graphical SD override (selectable) mini-scale (from min to infinite) ? That " ev needle" could be replaced from a static mini-circle (green -> yellow -> red - old style) at the top left angle of the console (near Tv) or replacing the plus/minus character.

« Reply #113 on: 05 / October / 2014, 10:26:33 »
Probably a second screen is a solution for focus operations. We can use FUNC.SET to toggle the screen.
maybe that ev needle scale (on the right side) could become a graphical SD override (selectable) mini-scale (from min to infinite) ? That " ev needle" could be replaced from a static mini-circle (green -> yellow -> red - old style) at the top left angle of the console (near Tv) or replacing the plus/minus character.
I played briefly with turning part of the bottom of the outline box (i.e. the line that runs across the bottom of the script's OSD) into a horizontal gage to display focus settings ( near -> far = left -> right ).  I think it looked okay and not too confusing. 

As you pressed the left/right arrows,  the MF gage gets selected after the Tv setting widget in the sequence.  Up/down then changes the focus and the gage moves is sync.  It could even "autoscale" like the Canon OSD on cams that have MF - when you get to the end of the normal range it switches to a macro focus range.   Pressing "Func/Set" or "Half Press" then lets you see the resulting focus on the LCD.

The only draw back is that I did find a fast way to lock focus at infinity or hyperfocal or return to AF mode.

I actually like having the Func/Set button do the same thing as a "half press" (which is what it currently does). That way I can keep my fingers on the keypad and I don't occasionally press too hard and "full press".

« Reply #114 on: 05 / October / 2014, 11:22:16 »
And here's one more little quirk I was shown by one of our many script users. 

If you attempt to use the Playback key to check images while running the script then you usually can see your most recent image.

But only if the Playback key is your <ALT> key.  And only after the HELP screen comes up.  And with no playback functionality like scrolling through the stored images (as the arrow keys are still grabbed by the script).

And if you have Playback set as the <ALT> key,  and you don't press long enough to bypass that, you get dumped out of <ALT> .   Running the script while not in <ALT> gets really nasty and really confusing very quickly.

Ideally,  the script would be able to prevent the user from leaving <ALT>  (much like it currently hijacks the "full press" key).   One simple way to add that would be to have set_draw_title_line() disable exiting <ALT>  - either implicitly or as a passed parameter option (i.e. set_draw_title_line(1) = <ALT> line hidden,  set_draw_title_line(2) = <ALT> line hidden and <ALT> exit disabled ).

It would also be nice to be able to detect the playback key.  It's defined as KEY_PLAYBACK in many camera kbd.c files but not in modules/script_key_funcs.c.  With it defined, the script could control the switch between shooting and playback modes and it would allow things like the arrow keys to work by simply passing them through in playback mode (the same way the zoom level works now in shooting mode.

Every so often I consider just re-coding this whole thing in C as a module.  But so far,  with some tweaks to core CHDK functionality,  I have not discovered a need to do that give the power of Lua.  Other than making it easier for the user to access (without going through all the steps of downloading the script and installing it and selecting it as the current script and then getting into <ALT> mode and pressing the shutter button ...)

« Reply #115 on: 05 / October / 2014, 11:45:07 »
I'm just sunday snapshot taker so nothing serious about my wishes.

Switching to view mode when script runs, it displays help screen, but in settings are that help are off. This info just for info.
The Help message box will appear if you press a key that the script was not expecting or does not use.  I'm guessing you press the Playback button to switch to "view" mode?  I'll look at that - as usual, its not something I've tried myself.

ixus 310 losts occasionaly (but often) CHDK screens (what chdk displays to lcd), so for me it not problem. Mode changing just for fast checking

Are there any reason, that I can go up to only 64 sec and not any more?
Because that's the longest time that I build into the strings the script uses.  You can add more and extend the time if you want.  Just edit the tv_ref,  tv_val, and tv_str lists at lines 192, 200, and 209 respectively.   I suppose I could add a few more at the next script update - maybe 2,3,4,5,10 minutes.   But you'll find you start to get a lot of dark frame noise once you go past about 30 seconds.

It was just for curiosity (I like one old analog camera ~30 min shot) Thanks for education

I'd like that things are simple. And like in thread earlier mentioned, that ~3m and DOF are infinite. So, just for not hunting for focus on some conditions, this possibility will be very nice to have in settings (I think, that I dont need switch this parameter on/off very fast).

Sorry my bad english
Your english is more that good enough.  Much better than my command of any other language.

« Reply #116 on: 05 / October / 2014, 15:13:18 »
I played briefly with turning part of the bottom of the outline box (i.e. the line that runs across the bottom of the script's OSD) into a horizontal gage to display focus settings ( near -> far = left -> right ).  I think it looked okay and not too confusing.
As you pressed the left/right arrows,  the MF gage gets selected after the Tv setting widget in the sequence.  Up/down then changes the focus and the gage moves is sync.
... just my two cents humble opinion:
Up/down keys to change an horizontal gage  ??? could result a bit unnatural as UI. I definitely vote for a vertical scale  :)
Do we really need that exposure check needle on the right side?

ixus 310 losts occasionaly (but often) CHDK screens (what chdk displays to lcd), so for me it not problem. Mode changing just for fast checking.
I'd like that things are simple. And like in thread earlier mentioned, that ~3m and DOF are infinite.
Did you try turning off the native canon icons/informations? Usually with the "down" button out of <ALT> mode.
That's true but only with zoom on wide. So the CHDKPlus "focus development" makes sense.
« Last Edit: 05 / October / 2014, 15:19:41 by fabri22 »

« Reply #117 on: 05 / October / 2014, 15:43:30 »
... just my two cents humble opinion: Up/down keys to change an horizontal gage  ??? could result a bit unnatural as UI. I definitely vote for a vertical scale  :)
I guess we have to just try it and see.  The existing OSD height does not leave much room for a precise vertical gage with scale factors visible. The other choice might be a separate vertical gage on the left or right hand side of the screen?

Or we could get rid of the double width & double height themes to make more room ?  ... j/k

Do we really need that exposure check needle on the right side?
Kind of hard to operate the camera in manual mode without the equivalent of a "light meter".

ixus 310 losts occasionaly (but often) CHDK screens (what chdk displays to lcd), so for me it not problem. Mode changing just for fast checking.
Did you try turning off the native canon icons/informations? Usually with the "down" button out of <ALT> mode.
This interference is particularly bad if you have things like "focus tracking" enabled in the Canon menu.   

philmoz added a bit of code a couple of years back to try and detect a screen overwrite and redraw things.  IIRC, it only watched a little pixel off in the corner.  Might be better centered in the screen? 

In the past,  there has been objections to "putting too much load on the processor" by rewriting the CHDK screen information too often but I have yet to see any test data that shows if that is actually an issue.

« Reply #118 on: 05 / October / 2014, 16:10:04 »
Or we could get rid of the double width & double height themes to make more room ?  ... j/k
Glasses again???   No, no, no.   Go with the horizontal gage! ... j/k more  :)
BTW thanks again for the "scaling" lua drawing implementation.
Kind of hard to operate the camera in manual mode without the equivalent of a "light meter".
It could become just a (green->yellow->red) big dot.
« Last Edit: 05 / October / 2014, 16:11:39 by fabri22 »

« Reply #119 on: 05 / October / 2014, 16:11:23 »
It could became just a (green->yellow->red) big dot.
So does red mean over or under exposed? Two dots - one above the other?  I seem to recall having a 35MM range finder camera that did that with little color lamps of some sort.