Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity - page 8 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity

• 143 Replies

Offline BB

Re: Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity
« Reply #70 on: 04 / June / 2008, 00:56:15 »
Advertisements
Just to be clear, "Command Line" = "DOS Window"... This the old way computers use to run (no windows, mice, etc.)... You type a program name and follow it with some more information and "switches"

Copy C:\filea.txt A:\filea.txt /b  (the old DOS copy command from hard drive to floppy, with the /binary flag).

Sorry, I don't know anything about the program to help more.

-Bill

Offline chrish

• SD870IS
« Reply #71 on: 04 / June / 2008, 03:52:11 »
Quote from: chrish
Just tried this and setup.exe for Beeblebrox didn't work. I'm running Vista, could this be the problem?

What is the error message? You probably need administrative privileges to install Beeblebrox.

I don't actually get an error message. It's just that once I have unzipped Beeblebrox and double-click setup.exe file nothing happens. (Well, there is a moment of hardrive activity but no GUI or obvious program running, set-up or otherwise.) Thanks again.

Chris

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #72 on: 04 / June / 2008, 13:42:12 »
hmm...regarding putting chdk on cards > 8GB, I believe CardTricks now does it automatically (at least that's what it claims in its About Section). Anybody try? I only have a 4gig, and it seems to be working with FAT16 :) luckily

Nope. About/Credits says: "Will now FAT32 format cards > 4 GB" and that's ALL it can do - you need to partition such cards first,
then it can format partitions of 4 GB max. as FAT16, which is a prerequisite for putting CHDK on them.

wim

Offline fbalb

• Ixus 860
« Reply #73 on: 04 / June / 2008, 17:15:32 »
Beeblebrox doesn't want to setup On my Windows XP: "error runing 16 bits program"
Found on the net: "Beeblebrox is a partition table editor for Windows 95/98 or NT"

How to Change partition type 1 to 0 on windows XP ?

Offline fbalb

• Ixus 860
« Reply #74 on: 04 / June / 2008, 17:48:30 »
    OK Beeblerox works on my Windows XP

I find on google about the XP errors "error runing 16 bits program" that it's because of the format 8.3 of file that it didn't want. Some people say to change
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\FileSystem NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation from 1 to 0
I've done other thinks because Beeblerox errors message said: "unable to find d:\beebleroxntsetup\setup.exe and necessary files"

I've move all Beeblerox setups files to  d:\Beeble  and run setup
The Beeblerox setup program on XP doesn't like long path (more than 8 char dir) to acces Directory.

So I Can run Beeblerox and make my 8 Go run on my IXUS860

Thanks all

Offline fbalb

• Ixus 860
« Reply #75 on: 04 / June / 2008, 18:47:40 »
OUPS, I post too quickly....

My ixus860 camera load chdk allbest #51, that's OK
If I want to load a script it looks in 16 Mega partition, correct or no  ?

If, I take a shot it put file in the 16 Mega partition !!!!   WRONG  !!!!!

I've well format second partition FAT32, change to 0 with Beeblerox to see it with windows XP

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #76 on: 04 / June / 2008, 21:12:11 »
My ixus860 camera load chdk allbest #51, that's OK

If, I take a shot it put file in the 16 Mega partition !!!!   WRONG  !!!!!

IXUS860 currently don't support multipartition cards.

Offline bmwman91

• Cars & Cameras, Fun To Hack!
    • e30tuner.com
« Reply #77 on: 05 / June / 2008, 11:33:42 »
Thanks DataGhost for the instruction and the hints of the process. I spent three evenings trying to figure out how to make my new 8GB card work with CHDK and S5IS. First I tried the method described on this page, but unfortunately it didn't work. Then I tried to play with aefdisk32, but the problem is that when you change the partition type to 0x0 aefdisk32 wipes out the whole partition data instead of just changing the type. Saving the data to a file, changing it and then restoring didn't work with aefdisk32 either - the restore function apparently doesn't work properly. Hence I spent some time finding an app which will just change the partition type and I ended up with Beeblebrox NT. And then everything was finally in place. Below is a simple instruction:

0. Get all of the software needed for the setup.
- aefdisk32.exe - to create partitions
- Beeblebrox NT - to change partition type
- bootable.exe - to make card bootable
- CHDK firmware - actual CHDK

7. Close CMD and Disk Management. Run Beeblebrox NT. Choose your drive from the drop-down. Since Beeblebrox NT starts numbering from 0 the number of your drive should be the one you found with aefdisk32 minus 1, which is 4 in my case. Change the type of the first partition on this drive to 00 and save the changes. Then close Beeblebrox NT.

8. Windows now will see your second partition and show the first as unallocated space. Format second partition.

Hope this instruction helps.

Camera: SD870 (IXUS860)
Mem Card: 8GB PNY SD
CHDK Loader Method: CardTricks

Hey, great instructional!  I can tell that this is the route to go with, but alas I cannot quite get things working properly.  I follow the steps without errors, EXCEPT:

Step 8.  This does not happen.  Based upon executing "aefdisk32 3 /show" I can see that the partitions are all proper before I run Step 7.  However, after using BB to change the partition type to 00h, "aefdisk32 3 /show" reports the 16MB partition I created as beibng 0MB and empty.  So, somehow it is being wiped out.  Any hints here?  I suspect that this is the crux of my problems.

I have played with setting the active partition to either the FAT12 16MB one with the CHDK stuff (not using BB to set its type to 00h) or the remaining 7.9GB FAT32 partition.  When the card is locked, it will boot into CHDK just fine and of course only recognize the 16mb partition.  When unlocked, it sees the 7.9GB partition and does not load CHDK.  From what I understand, the FAT12 partition needs to be set to an Empty / typeless partition without destroying the addressing information so the camera boots from it, but only recognizes the FAT32 partition to store things.  When performing step 7, Windows only sees one partition still.

I do not know too much about partition types and management, so some Googling will be done.  Can anyone give me a quick crash-course on the differences between primary/extended/logical partitions?  Can the SD870 actually boot from one partition and store data on the other?

Other than that, I got CHDK running fine on my 2GB card.  Worst case, I will just use the 2GB card for bracketed shots for HDR stuff, and the 8GB card for the other 90% of the time when I don't really need all the extra tools.  Buuut, where's the fun in that!  Thanks all, great forum and great work!  I look forward to learning to write my own scripts for bracketed shots and build a USB trigger!
« Last Edit: 05 / June / 2008, 11:40:01 by bmwman91 »

Offline fbalb

• Ixus 860
« Reply #78 on: 05 / June / 2008, 17:36:41 »
Camera: SD870 (IXUS860)
       Can the SD870 actually boot from one partition and store data on the other?

IXUS860 currently don't support multipartition cards.

I try my 8Go SD on ixus850, doesn't work.  Apprently it doesn't support multipartition cards.

Offline chrish

• SD870IS
« Reply #79 on: 06 / June / 2008, 12:51:36 »
Anyone got experience of Beeblebrox on Vista? Didn't seem to work for me...Thanks.