ixus870_sd880 port started - page 7 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum  

ixus870_sd880 port started

• 245 Replies
Re: ixus870_sd880 port started
« Reply #60 on: 25 / April / 2009, 04:51:55 »
Advertisements
I do have a slight issue if anyone can help.  I do have a 16GB SDHC so unfortunately I can't autoboot CHDK and have to manually start it with the review button each time I may just go back to a 4gb card.  The problem I am having is this:

You can boot from bigger cards; I have an 8GB SDHC from which I boot. The instructions are here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card. The way I did it the first time (which might not be the most efficient way, but it works) is by doing the following (don't forget to backup your photos!):

• In CHDK menu: Miscellaneous stuff -> Debug parameters -> Create card with two partitions
  • Get the card and format it, make it bootable and add DISKBOOT.BIN in the root
  • Start up CHDK again (should autoboot): Miscellaneous stuff -> Swap partitions
  • Get the card and format it (FAT32) and put CHDK on it (including PS.FI2 for the next step!)
  • Start up CHDK yet again (firmware update, this time) and swap partitions a final time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a MILLION mweerden your help in this getting the 16gb sdhc card to autoboot CHDK with scripts worked perfectly.  Now I hope someone to take advantage of the Digic IV and make some super fast scripts...that work. 

Does anyone know how much difference in video quality occurs when you increase the bitrate and quality number to 99 from the standard 86 that Canon has it set at.  Is it by chance HD....I'm really just hoping for a miracle on this video issue.

Thanks again.
Hollywood
« Last Edit: 25 / April / 2009, 04:57:39 by Hollywood »

« Reply #61 on: 25 / April / 2009, 07:37:49 »
This port is now checked in and should be available from the autobuild server shortly. Thanks mweerden!

Great, thanks for adding it.

I downloaded the first version (I have not tried the newest) and found a minor glitch that I thought might be helpful to report.  In general, it's working great, I haven't experimented with all the core functions yet, I kind of got sidetracked on trying to beat one of the games.  Wile playing i realized that if I rotated the camera when it was on auto rotate mode the game would close.  When I turned off auto rotate it  worked fine.  I am new to chdk so for all I know this could be normal.

So someone is actually playing these games?  :D I was wondering about that.

Anyway, i'm afraid the problem you describe is "normal". I checked the code of the games and they only redraw the screen (or part of it) based on key presses. This means that the game is still running, you just don't see it until you make the next move. See it as an added difficulty ;).

Note that the same happens with the menu. I'm not sure there is any easy solution to this.

I have another minor thing to report. The focal length is always reported as 111mm in EFL mode. In 'X' and FL mode, the numbers aren't right either.

My mistake. It is fixed now (locally; I'll let you know when it is added to to the autobuild).

« Reply #62 on: 25 / April / 2009, 07:51:00 »
It seems to work. I don't have a real trigger, but simulation by plugging and unplugging a (powered) USB cable does work.

With 3V does not work  ???
The minimum operating voltage is 3.5V.

I used 2 batteries 3V CR2032 and 2 diodes 1N4148:

2*3 - 2*0.65 = 4.7V

It works perfectly  :D

« Reply #63 on: 25 / April / 2009, 09:22:15 »
Hi,
great work so far.
I noticed some problems with the custom auto iso option.
First point is, that the overide seems not to work if you select the auto flash.
the second point is that the values you enter in the menu seems to be different as the max values the camera choose.
It seems that the camera adds some value to the maximum iso lvl you entered in the menu. the value added is different if you choose "no flash" or "always flash"

« Reply #64 on: 25 / April / 2009, 10:12:14 »
I noticed some problems with the custom auto iso option.

Do you mean ISO override?

First point is, that the overide seems not to work if you select the auto flash.
the second point is that the values you enter in the menu seems to be different as the max values the camera choose.
It seems that the camera adds some value to the maximum iso lvl you entered in the menu. the value added is different if you choose "no flash" or "always flash"

As far as I can tell these things seem to be taken care of in generic part of CHDK (i.e. not the camera-specific part which is the port). I see some calculations/convertions going on, but know too little about these things to make sure it is ok. What I did find is http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage/AllBest#Override_ISO_value, which suggest that this option is still very experimental.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #65 on: 25 / April / 2009, 16:10:57 »
The flash issue sounds like something I encountered on the SD990. Basically, the camera would ignore the override if you fast press the shutter button and the flash auto-triggers (even with ewavrs hack to fix over-ride on fast press).

I never really sorted this out, but the logic of using overrides and auto flash is dubious. When the camera calculates the flash, it doesn't necessarily know about the overrides, so the automatic flash would be wrong and unpredictable anyway.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #66 on: 26 / April / 2009, 11:59:10 »
Many thanks!   :)

You make my day 

« Reply #67 on: 26 / April / 2009, 18:49:55 »
I don't know if this is related to CHDK, but I don't see the .CRW files when I have the camera hooked up to the PC via USB. Only if I put the card in the card reader does it show me the .CRW files.

This used to work with a different Canon camera, so I'm wondering if it is the camera's fault, or CHDK's fault?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #68 on: 26 / April / 2009, 18:57:45 »
Which image prefix are you using ?

You might also try .CR2 instead of CRW
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #69 on: 26 / April / 2009, 19:38:48 »
Thanks, I'll try that.

In unrelated news, I emailed Dave Coffin about dcraw support for the SD880. He said to try the settings for the SX110, using a patched version of dcraw.c which he was also nice enough to email me. Here is the result:

http://www.zshare.net/download/59237219e7f4e224/

I used "dcraw -a". Doesn't look too bad, does it? It could use more saturation, and more sharpening though.

The patched dcraw.c can be downloaded at:

http://www.zshare.net/download/592373090a9290c9/