Chdk for SX130 IS ? - page 58 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

Chdk for SX130 IS ?

• 1095 Replies
Re: Chdk for SX130 IS ?
« Reply #570 on: 31 / May / 2011, 12:51:54 »
Advertisements
second - if i have a SX 130is with 1.01D can i downgrade it to 1.01C ??
Essentially, no.  While it is technically possible, it would required Canon to issue a firmware update file of some sort. Canon typically has not done so for its P&S cameras.  Also, you cannot simply use the primary.bin dump files from by CHDK for that purpose - although many people have asked that question. 

i am desperate for a CHDK camera and would be buying a SX 130is but i have doubts about it being ver 1.01D
and i would not buy it if CHDK doesnt work on it.
You might want to purchase from somewhere with a liberal return policy in that case.  Or cross your fingers that somebody ports the CHDK version for the 1.01C firmware to work with a 1.01D camera.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #571 on: 01 / June / 2011, 09:21:03 »

« Reply #572 on: 01 / June / 2011, 09:40:15 »
Anyway, I read through this thread, found that the latest released version (101C-0.9.9-r1194) seems to be working well for people, updated my camera's firmware (it was 1.0.1B if I recall right... didn't copy it down and now it's 1.0.1C from Canon's site), went through the CHDK installation process on a 2GB Transcend SD card and now everything seems to be working fine.
Very interesting.  Can you post a link to where you found the firmware upgrade from Canon ?

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #573 on: 01 / June / 2011, 10:46:35 »
Anyway, I read through this thread, found that the latest released version (101C-0.9.9-r1194) seems to be working well for people, updated my camera's firmware (it was 1.0.1B if I recall right... didn't copy it down and now it's 1.0.1C from Canon's site), went through the CHDK installation process on a 2GB Transcend SD card and now everything seems to be working fine.
Very interesting.  Can you post a link to where you found the firmware upgrade from Canon ?

PowerShot SX130 IS Firmware Update, accessed from Digital Compact Camera -- Firmware Update Information page, which I found via CHDK wiki page about SX130IS.

« Reply #574 on: 01 / June / 2011, 13:41:04 »

PowerShot SX130 IS Firmware Update, accessed from Digital Compact Camera -- Firmware Update Information page, which I found via CHDK wiki page about SX130IS.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that you can downgrade the firmware in the camera i.e. to go back from 1.01D to 1.01C and thus be able to use the current version of CHDK. I tried it and the camera just advises that the upgrade has already been completed. I think that a port from the current CHDK to a 1.01D version may be the best (or only) hope.

« Reply #575 on: 01 / June / 2011, 17:35:33 »
Yeah, that's unsurprising. I'm lucky in the sense that my camera's original firmware was older than 1.0.1C; I don't remember the exact numbering but the identifier letter was B, that much I am sure of.

I've been fiddling with things, setting things to my liking; I like the CCD temperature sensor as well as the option to show battery voltage directly, rather than guessing what possible percentage is left - that way I can check what voltage the camera can actually function at, and I'll know when the batteries are approaching that threshold.

Just for fun, here's how my OSD looks at the moment:

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #576 on: 01 / June / 2011, 23:08:18 »
Unfortunately it doesn't appear that you can downgrade the firmware in the camera i.e. to go back from 1.01D to 1.01C and thus be able to use the current version of CHDK. I tried it and the camera just advises that the upgrade has already been completed. I think that a port from the current CHDK to a 1.01D version may be the best (or only) hope.

The first step is for someone with this version to dump the firmware, the universal dumper should work:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Scripts/Dumper

You also need to create an SD card that can run the above script:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic

Once the firmware is dumped upload it to a file sharing site (or send me a personal message and I'll give you an email address to send it to).

Generally porting to a new firmware version from a working version is not too difficult; but it does depend on people willing to test the port along the way (I don't have this camera; but I have done some work on the 1.00c version).

Phil.

CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #577 on: 02 / June / 2011, 03:31:57 »
I'll probably also want to use CHDK for the purpose of lightning photography at some point, but I'm a little bit confused by the information on the wiki. There doesn't seem to be a conclusive article about how to do this. So, how do I make it so that when I press the shot key, it goes into waiting mode, waits for a lightning strike, and motion detection triggers it to take an image with pre-determined shutter time and aperture and focus distance - preferably the ones set in Manual mode?

The only thing I really need is the trigger part; otherwise I'd want to set the aperture and shutter time manually depending on time of day and how thick the clouds are, and focus to infinity (any lightning strikes will hopefully occur far enough that infinity is the right setting).

Is there a menu option for this sort of mode, or do I need to use a script for this?

Copy the MDFB script http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=471.msg21328#msg21328 to the SD card CHDK/SCRIPTS directory, set your camera the way you want it (apparently manual mode, manual focus etc) and run the script (full shutter while in ALT mode). Read the docs included in the zip file to understand all the MD script parameters.

« Reply #578 on: 02 / June / 2011, 04:04:03 »
Thank you. I already located Multipurpose Motion Detection script from wiki, and in a brief test it seemed to work all right. Obviously I haven't come across a convenient thunderstorm, so I don't know how it would do there.

It seems this script will provide better performance (faster response time) than the Multipurpose Motion Detection script I got already, so I'm going to put that on the card as well. :)

Last summer I tried taking lightning photos with long shutter time only, but with the camera I was using it was pretty hopeless - the camera spent most of the time writing the image on card, so I only managed to get one decent shot with somewhat lucky direction and shutter time. With CHDK and motion detection, I bet I would have had a lot more, considering it was a pretty fierce storm and right on top of me.

« Reply #579 on: 03 / June / 2011, 06:18:10 »
Hi Im new here.  Discovered this board while looking for CHKD for my Powershot sx130is.  I have the one with the version D firmware and if it will help getting CHKD ported to it Ill be happy and willing to dump it. 

Thanx