USB Remote Switch in CHDK - version 2 implementation thread - page 9 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

USB Remote Switch in CHDK - version 2 implementation thread

• 220 Replies
Re: USB Remote Switch in CHDK - version 2 implementation thread
« Reply #80 on: 16 / February / 2012, 12:51:44 »
Advertisements
Does it take a photo instead of starting recording ?

Yes, that is also the normal function. For video recording you can only use the video button.

msl
So if CAM_HAS_VIDEO_BUTTON  is defined, and  if the remote Control Mode is Video,  the code should push the video button rather than shutter button in order to start recording ?   That seems easy enough if so.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #81 on: 16 / February / 2012, 13:11:49 »
Yes, thus it could function.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #82 on: 24 / February / 2012, 19:30:55 »
Yes, thus it could function.
Posted a patch file for the svn today that implements USB remote control of video mode for cameras with a seperate video buttton.   Thanks to msl for testing this over & over until I got it right.

Re: USB Remote Switch in CHDK - 10 second timeout after 1/2 press
« Reply #83 on: 08 / December / 2012, 11:13:48 »
There have been several questions here and on IRC about extending the amount of time you can hold the camera in "half press" or "sync wait" modes using a USB remote.    Currently,  in "one press" switch mode, the camera will time-out after 10 seconds of the remote switch being held closed (i.e. USB = 5V ) and not wait for the USB remote switch to be released (i.e USB = 0V ).

I've posted a patch that removes the 10 second timeout when using "one press" switch mode.  It was there as a kind of safety check so that the camera did not become locked in "half press" state if the USB remote was enabled and the camera attached by a USB cable to a PC.  This is not really a very important feature and it prevented the legitimate and useful case of wanting to hold the camera in "half press" state for longer than 10 seconds while waiting for some desired event to happen.

I also tried to remove the 10 second timeout that occurs when USB remote sync mode is used.  In sync mode the camera currently waits in a tight loop (using wait_until_remote_button_is_released() )  for the USB 5V to go away and then very quickly fire the shutter.   There is a timer in that code to release the shutter after 10 seconds even if the 5V USB signal is still active.    I removed the timer and tested on two different cameras with the similiar bad results - the cameras either crashed, reset or reverted to playback mode after about 15 seconds waiting for the sync signal.  As I cannot test every camera to determine the maximum time they can be held waiting for a sync signal, its probably best to just leave the existing 10 second timeout. It should be possible to get around this using "two press" switch mode in most cases.

« Reply #84 on: 05 / January / 2013, 15:10:59 »
I new observation:

I have been using CHDK for some time on my G11 and S95. I recently decided to add the USB shutter to my S95. I downloaded the 'latest' version and it seems to all work fine with my Roch CA-1 cable, however....

What I can't seem to do/understand is how the bracketing in the control mode works. I have enabled bracketing in continuous mode (Tv = 1) but when I press the remote repeatedly all I get is the same exposure.

What am I missing?

BTW I can bracket 'normally' via the timer dialogue.

« Reply #85 on: 05 / January / 2013, 15:24:09 »
With my A1200,  I can see the USB remote bracketing code set the exposure to the correct bracketing offset on half-press.  But 1.2 second later it reverts to the normal Canon exposure value - prior to a full press.
I think that I tracked this one down.   If I go into the Canon shooting menu and disable "Servo AF" then things start working properly.    It seems the Servo AF code resets the CHDK override each time it refocuses.  Not sure if I want to spend the time trying to fix that - might just be easier to suggest going turning off Servo AF.  As a related note,  Servo AF also causes Tv manual override not to work on the A1200.

« Last Edit: 05 / January / 2013, 18:48:36 by waterwingz »

« Reply #86 on: 05 / January / 2013, 16:26:23 »
I will piggyback on the above that I started, if that's ok?

One function I would like to see is that once focused in auto mode, as soon as a bracket sequence is started the camera's focus is set to manual mode. Thus between brackets there is no risk of the camera attempting an auto focus.

Ideally, after the bracket the camera would be reset to the focus setting at the start of the bracket sequence.

The rationale for the above being there is a risk that the same auto focus is not achieved between brackets.

With a DSLR this is easy to accomplish by switching the lens to manual before the bracketing. On a P&S this is a fiddle.

Garry (with an S95 and G11 with CHDK and a D50 with ML)

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #87 on: 05 / January / 2013, 17:16:58 »
What I can't seem to do/understand is how the bracketing in the control mode works. I have enabled bracketing in continuous mode (Tv = 1) but when I press the remote repeatedly all I get is the same exposure.
I did a quick test using both the stable & dev trunks and this function no longer works.

So I reverted my svn branch back to  v2004 (as close as I could come to when the code became part of the 1.1.0 stable branch).   That code works properly.

So I'm guessing something has changed since them - most likely somebody fixed something in shooting.c that broke the remote code as a side effect.   I'm not really good at browsing svn revisions but I'll try working my release version forward to just after each update to shooting.c and see if I can spot the problem.

Update 1 : still working as of r2029  (1.2.0)
Update 2 : still working as of r2426 - 6 days ago  (1.2.0)
Update 3 :  Works on all revisions with my G10.  Original test was with A1200 - time to look at that. I can see the override getting set on half-press,  but then it revert to the Canon value in about 1/2 second.

And my SD940 works but gets stuck going in one direction (i.e. does not bracket).

I think that I am "chasing my own tail".  But there are definitely some problems here that will take some work.

With my G10 and SD940,  USB remote controlled bracketing works properly the first time it is used after a power up.  However,  if you let the bracketing time out (5 sec +) then the subsequent shots don't bracket properly - they appear to only adjust exposure in one direction.

With my A1200,  I can see the USB remote bracketing code set the exposure to the correct bracketing offset on half-press.  But 1.2 second later it reverts to the normal Canon exposure value - prior to a full press.

I re-wrote the bracketing code in the latest trunk version (not in release-1.1 though).

I'll take a look to see if I've broken it - do you have any specific test cases I can run?

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #88 on: 05 / January / 2013, 17:18:37 »
Can you try something for me.  Setup as follows :

1) USB remote enabled.   Switch type = CA1    Control Mode  = Bracket
2) Bracketing in Continuous Mode    TV Bracketing = 1 eV.   Disable Bracketing at Startup = OFF
3) Enhanced Photo Operations     Disable  Overrides = No.

Exit <ALT> mode and turn off the camera.   Turn the camera back on a start taking shots.  Wait for the half press to focus and then full press for each one.  Don't wait more than a second or two between shots. 

Does the exposure change ?

« Reply #89 on: 05 / January / 2013, 17:21:32 »
I re-wrote the bracketing code in the latest trunk version (not in release-1.1 though).
I'll take a look to see if I've broken it - do you have any specific test cases I can run?
Given that my G10 & SD940 work with the current unstable revision  (other than failing to restart the bracket sequence after the timeout),  I'm guessing that your code is probably fine.   My A1200 is behaving strangely though - but I reverted back to the first rev after the beta was released and it does the same thing there.

I'll keep playing and ping you if I get stuck ?

Thanks.