Is the canon's marketed iso value really fake??? - General Chat - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Is the canon's marketed iso value really fake???

• 13 Replies

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
Is the canon's marketed iso value really fake???
« on: 30 / March / 2008, 10:53:36 »
Advertisements
I wonder if it's really just marketing or these "marketed" values are really based on some scientific measurements...
Can anybody verify it using a non digital SLR for example?
« Last Edit: 30 / March / 2008, 11:01:47 by dzsemx »

Re: Is the canon's marketed iso value really fake???
« Reply #1 on: 30 / March / 2008, 22:26:51 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:18:54 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #2 on: 31 / March / 2008, 01:14:52 »
Thats not right, if it is 1/500 it should be 1/500 not 1/512. We should sue the industry for mis-imforming us all these years. Someone sued the monitor industry over the viewable area of a monitor. We should sue the camera industry for the faking of the shutter and ISO speeds.

:lol

« Reply #3 on: 31 / March / 2008, 07:04:14 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:19:13 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #4 on: 06 / April / 2008, 11:43:22 »
and photoshop :)
canon powershot sd900 ti
canon digital ixus 500
canon powershot s400
flickr

« Reply #5 on: 06 / April / 2008, 12:22:45 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:19:32 by Barney Fife »

dew

« Reply #6 on: 06 / April / 2008, 13:06:10 »
better software than Photoshop.
Please share with us - - and please let it not be (shudder) the gimp.  :o

« Reply #7 on: 07 / April / 2008, 01:08:13 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:19:50 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #8 on: 11 / April / 2008, 00:59:09 »
The 'Market', or marketed, value is the rounded value that Canon would like you to see for simplicity sake. This is a bit like "the number on the box" vs. what is actually inside the box. AllBest chose this description of 'Market Value' because there is no clear adjective to describe the two different kinds of numerical values in English. Just remember that 'Market' = Canon's dumbed-down user-friendly rounded value. And 'Real' refers to the actual number being used or selected at the time.[/i]

DPReview uses the terms "indicated" iso and "actual" iso.  These are much more descriptive terms and are clearer English.  For the Canon 30D DPReview found that the actual ISO was higher (example 100 indicated, 125 actual), but for the recent Canon cameras that they have tested (DSLR's) the indicated and actual ISO are the same.  As far as I can tell DPReview has not tested the Canons that CHDK runs on.

« Reply #9 on: 11 / April / 2008, 05:51:57 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 15:20:09 by Barney Fife »