Cropped zebra or zebra specific OSD - page 3 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Cropped zebra or zebra specific OSD

• 90 Replies

Offline LjL

• A720IS
Re: Cropped zebra or zebra specific OSD
« Reply #20 on: 13 / July / 2008, 12:01:18 »
Advertisements
Bah, yes, I knew about timer&0. I thought I had changed that to &1 before uploading, but obviously I didn't.

You're probably right about making the black border only show up with transparent backgrounds (which is easy to do)... I liked it, but it's true, in things like the file browser it's just plain broken.

I noticed about the free space indication, too... *shrug*, I won't say anything, since the guy or girl who wrote that part might be lurking around :P

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #21 on: 13 / July / 2008, 14:16:18 »
I noticed about the free space indication, too... *shrug*, I won't say anything, since the guy or girl who wrote that part might be lurking around :P

Heh well... try to remember that CHDK doesn't have strict management and that a lot of great features have been let in trunk because they work and don't seem to break things. At the same time there is likely much room for improvement in optimizing and documenting things and having some sort of structural discipline. The parasitic nature of CHDK probably adds to the complexity of keeping things neat quite a bit as well... 

Many people who have contributed aren't all that experienced coders, me included. I'll make a wild guess that you're among the most skilled ones around here, you seem to find your way through the code pretty smoothly.

In any case, whenever you find something that's broken, ugly or incomprehensible, I'm sure nobody will object someone fixing it... The thing is, I'm really happy I have a free space indicator and when shooting, I could care less about what makes it tick. ::)

Offline LjL

• A720IS
« Reply #22 on: 13 / July / 2008, 20:27:14 »
Sure, I wasn't really being serious with the free space OSD implementor bashing... :)
Things like CHDK work because everything is hacked into just as long as it works, although it's probably reaching the level of complexity where some more structure will eventually be needed.

It's not like things were thought without any structure at all, either... if it had been me, I wouldn't have bothered with a MAKE_COLOR macro and just sticked hex numbers all around the place ;)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #23 on: 13 / July / 2008, 20:31:54 »
I noticed about the free space indication, too... *shrug*, I won't say anything, since the guy or girl who wrote that part might be lurking around Tongue
hm, i am an animal, right? ;)
anyhoo, what exactly is the problem with the freespace indication? are you talking about the SD card symbol or the "space bar"? you can define it's colors in the visuals menu. am i missing something?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #24 on: 14 / July / 2008, 02:08:40 »
Things like CHDK work because everything is hacked into just as long as it works, although it's probably reaching the level of complexity where some more structure will eventually be needed.

Now that you mention it, this is something others are worried about as well:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,847.0.html

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #25 on: 19 / August / 2008, 05:21:45 »
something caused that if i'm using transparent background label, it does not erase the previous output and this looks very bad :P
first i thought that this patch is responsable, but no....
« Last Edit: 19 / August / 2008, 05:24:51 by dzsemx »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #26 on: 19 / August / 2008, 16:18:00 »
transparent background label? sorry i dont get what you mean?

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #27 on: 20 / August / 2008, 14:57:08 »
i mean osd output fields :D
sorry, i use many times delphi style names
but i corrected it :P

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #28 on: 20 / August / 2008, 15:07:09 »
Even though it wasn't this patch causing your problems, I'd advice to use the "draw over zebra: OSD" option. Otherwise zebra will draw over OSD in whatever way it chooses and OSD will seem corrupt even though that's quite what is requested...

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #29 on: 20 / August / 2008, 15:46:21 »
ok i'll tell it more detailated
so
i noticed that osd text has outline(some black pixels around the characters) :)
great!
so i set osd text backround to COLOR_TRANSPARENT to have more space on the screen
fine
but i noticed that previous osd text is not erased(=overwritten by transparent pixels) so everything got overlapped, overwritten...whatever... it looks ugly
problem here:
Code: [Select]
void draw_char(coord x, coord y, const char ch, color cl) {

............blablabla............

else if(inside_box && cl>>8!=COLOR_TRANSPARENT) draw_pixel(x+ii ,y+i, cl>>8);
            }
}
    }
}

so i introduced a  !kbd_is_key_pressed(KEY_SHOOT_HALF) condition too...

else if((cl>>8!=COLOR_TRANSPARENT && inside_box) || !kbd_is_key_pressed(KEY_SHOOT_HALF))draw_pixel(x+ii ,y+i, cl>>8);

i should use a global variable, i know :P... it would be faster
and i requested a few times to remove from comment this line from platform/650/kbd.c

/*if(!kbd_is_key_pressed(KEY_SHOOT_HALF)) */ physw_status[alt_mode_key_reg] |= alt_mode_key_mask;............
i have to modify the sources every time when i'm downloading it...
without this isoshift on print button doesn't work

EDIT: STILL BUGGY :(
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2008, 01:32:29 by dzsemx »