Problems dumping A470 - Firmware Dumping - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Problems dumping A470

• 11 Replies

MrSpoon

Problems dumping A470
« on: 29 / July / 2008, 20:27:25 »
Advertisements
Hey, having read the thread about dumping the SD1100IS I made some progress with the A470...

Using Qemu as chr describes, I decoded his led test and blinker programs and hex edited them for the A470 =] I found the AF LED is at address 0xc0220080 and modified the blinker accordingly...

The blinker apparently works however adc.exe gives me a few sync errors and the dump file has a few bytes but then the rest is zero's =/ Looking at my signal, it doesn't look like the one on the wiki, my logic lows all seem to be of uniform length oO

I tried hex editing both of chr's blinkers and don't have a dev environment set up for compiling my own, will I need to edit the delays and try to compile my own adc or is my recording method at fault? Im currently using a photodiode I had lying around and Audacity to amplify and export as RAW...I've attached a pic of the RAW file I end up with...

Any help much appreciated  ???

Offline chr

• IXUS 82 IS
Re: Problems dumping A470
« Reply #1 on: 30 / July / 2008, 18:56:01 »
Hi!

I forgot to mention that the signal is now upside down with my blinker code ::) Simply swap +/- in the circuit.
Also the adc2 code, u find here somewhere in the forum, makes a better job.

Your signal looks strange: I can see a lot "sync" but no clear bytes ... timing problems, better use a phototransistor. I slaughtered an old mouse to get one :)

However, u might try this:

universal dumper - one more idea
version 2008 is out 8)

MrSpoon

« Reply #2 on: 30 / July / 2008, 21:20:30 »
Wow, it works, all my work was for nought  :-[ haha

Awesome work on that though, thanks!

I've uploaded the firmware, anybody mind checking its okay for me? I'm going to sleep before looking into what one does now the firmwares available hehe

Offline chr

• IXUS 82 IS
« Reply #3 on: 31 / July / 2008, 00:12:41 »
Wow, it works, all my work was for nought  :-[ haha
Not really. Kewl to know theres now another qemu running ixus firmware ;)
We still need to rewrite that decoding to C so we get a handy tool.

« Reply #4 on: 19 / April / 2009, 18:45:48 »
I'm (a total n00b who is) trying to dump A470 1.00e.  I read somewhere that I could use CardTricks to put udumper on an SD card, then just pop the card in the camera, turn it on, and it'll silently dump the firmware.  I picked the DryOS version (not the New DryOS), put the card in the camera, and I'm not getting anything.  (And just how is it supposed to dump the firmware to the card if it's write protected?  I'm confused...)

Could someone let me know if there are buttons to push, or if there's some other software I could use, or if there's anything else I'm doing wrong?  I'm trying to piece together instructions from here and there, so bear with me.
« Last Edit: 19 / April / 2009, 18:59:34 by gotgrip_com »

MrSpoon

« Reply #5 on: 19 / April / 2009, 19:07:16 »
I picked the DryOS version (not the New DryOS), put the card in the camera, and I'm not getting anything.  (And just how is it supposed to dump the firmware to the card if it's write protected?  I'm confused...)

Well there's your problem, pick New DryOS. Also, write protect is just a switch, the card is still very much writable.

« Reply #6 on: 19 / April / 2009, 21:02:58 »
haha... definitely a good part of it.  So using the New DryOS, when I put the locked card in the camera, and hit the power button, I get no feedback (at all... no screen, so lights, anything).  After waiting for a minute or two, there's no change to the card (the empty.dum file is... empty... and there are no new files on the card or anything).  So what's next?

MrSpoon

« Reply #7 on: 19 / April / 2009, 21:05:43 »
When you put the card back into your card reader, open up cardtricks and press clean, it should look at empty.dum and tell you if you did get a dump or not. If you didn't get one, try a few more times :D

« Reply #8 on: 19 / April / 2009, 21:28:40 »
Got it!  (Or "something" anyway.)  Hats off to you, Mr. Spoon.  Now where can I upload the fruit of [your] labour?  (What I've got is still 1.3 megs 7-zipped, or I'd upload it here.)

MrSpoon

« Reply #9 on: 19 / April / 2009, 21:39:07 »
People tend to upload the file to zshare or some such, then post a link in the firmware dumps thread. Some kind person then usually mirrors the dump at a more reliable host :)