chdk bootup logo mod - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

chdk bootup logo mod

• 13 Replies
chdk bootup logo mod
« on: 11 / August / 2008, 08:07:17 »
Advertisements
Hi!

I was wondering why chdk isnt showing the nice logo while booting up.
So i hacked this:

What i did:
- take chdk logo
- crop in gimp
- reduce to 8 (?) colors/palette
- save as c header file in gimp
- search for matching colors using the palette viewer in chdk
- change values in gui_logo.h to the chdk palette values
- small addon in draw_splash

See the attached diff  :)

Offline lukg

• Eos 450D+18-55is+55-250is & Powershot S5is - 1.01a
Re: chdk bootup logo mod
« Reply #1 on: 11 / August / 2008, 08:46:22 »
Nice!! Chdk deserves a boot logo! Want to see it in all major release!!

Offline waldo

« Reply #2 on: 11 / August / 2008, 12:20:37 »
I agree.  A nice improvement.  I also think the text in the blue box could be improved.  Maybe larger white text on a red background.  And I don't think the camera type and firmware version is needed - you will never get CHDK to boot if you do not already know this information.

Also, does this work correctly if turned on in playback mode?  I think it uses a different palette.
« Last Edit: 11 / August / 2008, 12:22:11 by waldo »

« Reply #3 on: 11 / August / 2008, 13:18:34 »

Playback: oh this was playback mode. But in record the grey turns into orange...

Changing 0x3E to 0x1F as colors for the dark grey fixes this. See the attached new file.

Is there any info how the palette works ? I got the colors by try n error looking at the palette and trying to imagine how it would look like for the logo.
It would also be possible to do the logo with some similar colors but with some transparency (could like nice as well i think).

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 12 / August / 2008, 08:58:11 »
added in 0.3.0 of the juciphox branch. thanks!
think i'm gonna add this in the branch as well, though not today.

« Reply #5 on: 12 / August / 2008, 09:40:35 »
This is great.  It is along the lines of something I was wondering.  Is it possible for the camera to display the logo with an alpha masked or semi transparent?  If so could the logo be made to stay on the screen indefinitely and then we could use it as a poor mans contrast adjustment?  Like a gray tone for contrast or a red tone to preserve night vision.

Bill

Offline mx3

« Reply #6 on: 12 / August / 2008, 14:33:44 »
nice idea.

I was wondering why chdk isnt showing the nice logo while booting up.

because logo requires additional bytes in .bin file.
"main" developers are fighting over every byte to keep file size low.

There were situations several times when memory heap manual adjustment was required for new file to boot.
skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 12 / August / 2008, 16:11:08 »
Well we still dont know the technical/hardware boundaries that canon laid out for us,so as long as there are no sideeffects,why not increasing memisosize?
And if we get sideeffects soon,there are alot of possibilities to shrink the bins by optimizing existing code or the elf will help,certainly.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 12 / August / 2008, 16:42:08 »
Well we still dont know the technical/hardware boundaries that canon laid out for us,so as long as there are no sideeffects,why not increasing memisosize?
And if we get sideeffects soon,there are alot of possibilities to shrink the bins by optimizing existing code or the elf will help,certainly.
Less memory available for other stuff.

Sure, we can make up for it by saving in other areas (and there is quite a lot of room for this), but I would personally prefer stuff that is purely cosmetic like this be optional. In this case, loading the logo from another file should be possible, right ?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 12 / August / 2008, 16:44:34 »
If memorysize is an issue it should be no problem to shrink the logo to a fraction of its size
using run length encoding.
I did not invest any time in saving space for the logo yet. But as it uses only 8 colors and 150x84px
there is a lot of space for improvements. Currently I "waste" 8bit for every pixel (!)
This could be reduced to 3Bit/Pixel (=8 colors) and RLE would make it much smaller.