External Power Supply for IXUS - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

External Power Supply for IXUS

• 11 Replies
External Power Supply for IXUS
« on: 06 / November / 2008, 11:43:26 »
Advertisements
Hi All,

I'd like to use scripts for long time series...
any idea if there is a way to use my IXUS 80 / 1100 with an external powersupply,
there is this nice little whole in the lid of the battery case. Tried to find something
on google - but nothing  :(

cheers
Joei

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
Re: External Power Supply for IXUS
« Reply #1 on: 06 / November / 2008, 11:54:08 »
I wonder what search terms you used that you manage to find nothing.

Have a look for ACK-DC10, or go to canon.com and have a look at the supplys list for your camera... But i'm pretty sure that ACK-DC10 is the designation for the ixus series power supply.

« Reply #2 on: 06 / November / 2008, 14:53:31 »
:( seems that I got the wrong combination of search terms.. but I should hav looked at Canon... got me .. thx for the advice!
Joei

« Reply #3 on: 12 / January / 2009, 00:25:45 »
There are also power supply units for sale online, not genuine canon but not expensive either. Not sure of quality though

« Reply #4 on: 12 / January / 2009, 08:45:31 »
According to the Canon IXUX 80 specifications :

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/IXUS/Digital_IXUS_80_IS/index.asp?specs=1

you need an AC adapter kit ACK-DC10 that's optional.
It's about 50 dollars on Amazon.

If you have a dc in connector on the side that's great, if not you're stuck to using this adapter, you'll have to buy it..

What I found is that you don't really need a special expensive adapter, any quality dc adapters with stabilized input will do.

For example, the DC adapter for my A580 camera is about 80$ in my country, 30-40$ on Amazon, and it's just a DC adapter converting the mains power to 3.2 V , 2A

I just got a DC adapter with several connectors that outputs 3V and 1A and it works just fine. I guess the original adapter is 2A because probably some more expensive cameras require more power or maybe to charge the flash faster.

This adapter cost me about 8-10 dollars, so i saved about 80 dollars (if you include shipping):

The multiple exchangeable connectors were on the back on the case.

So you just have to determine the voltage of that adapter and the amps and get a DC adapter as close as possible to that. The Amps can be less, like I do using 1A compared to the original camera adapter, but should not be higher. If it's too little, the adapter will heat a lot and the camera will just shutdown itself or restart, because it doesn't get enough "juice"
The voltage should be as close as possible to the value and definitely not more than the specified value.

Considering the battery of IXUS 80 is 3.7V, I think the camera will do fine with only 3V.
« Last Edit: 12 / January / 2009, 08:53:52 by mariush »

« Reply #5 on: 12 / January / 2009, 10:02:13 »
The ratings on power adapters can be misleading, especially when you have an adjustable voltage power adapter. I think the 1000mA rating on that adapter is derived from its performance at the maximum output voltage, and does not necessarily mean it is limited to 1000mA at all voltages.

The power rating of the adapter in the photo is 12W. According to the formula power = current * voltage it can potentially supply up to 4A at 3V.

Judging by the figures you gave for the original Canon power supply, the camera can draw 2,000mA at 3.7V. P = IV => 7400mW.

Since your supply is working at 3V, the maximum power drawn by the camera is probably around 7400mW / 3 = ~ 2.5A. That's within the rating for your power adapter, but if someone applied the same logic you're using to a fixed-voltage adapter, eg a 3V 1000mA adapter (max rating 3,000mW) , it'd potentially be peaking at well over double the adapter's rating. That could be very bad news.

I don't know enough about power supplies to make recommendations, but the general advice seems to be to avoid using variable-voltage power supplies with electronics. The output voltage is likely to vary from unit to unit and may well exceed the tolerances of your camera.

« Reply #6 on: 12 / January / 2009, 12:07:26 »
Yeah, you're right, but you forget the fact that the battery is 3.7V @ ~ 760mA, as you can see from the pictures on the net:

http://images.google.ro/images?q=canon+battery+pack+nb-4l&um=1

I doubt cameras have different circuitry for DC in and the battery, so if it works with 2800mW (3.7v x 0.760A) and also works with 3.7 x 2A = 7400mW, it will most likely work with my 3v x 1A = 3000mW.
I highly doubt this little DC adapter is capable of giving so many amps on 3V, so that it would use 12W of power in total.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #7 on: 12 / January / 2009, 14:11:07 »
760 mAh is your battery's capacity (nominally it can supply about 760 mA for one hour or about 380 mA for two hours etc), not it's output current. The battery can give huge amounts of current compared to your (or Canon's original) DC power supply.

The camera may indeed require more than 1 A. Try using the lens driving mechanism, zoom, flash, focus etc things intensively for extended periods of time, letting the power supply and camera heat up to a stable temperature.

If everything works fine, fine... but if not, the worst two things that may likely happen are SD card filesystem corruption and interruptions in long term unattended scripts such as timelapses and motion detection.

I'm running my a570is (2*AA, camera requires about 2.0 V abs min from batteries) from a 3.0 V 3 A PSU and it hasn't failed me yet.

databoy

« Reply #8 on: 13 / January / 2009, 21:51:05 »
I am an electrical professional. Electricity is my business.

The subject of power supplies is a re-occurring subject on most forums which talk about battery operated equipment.

There is one golden rule in the electrical/electronic servicing business.

POWER SUPPLIES AIN'T POWER SUPPLIES.

Most people outside of the electrical/electronic servicing business have no idea about the way electricity functions and the safety aspects of main power supplies.

FIRST RULE: If the mains power supply you are purchasing DOES NOT carry a mains safety compliance certificate from the electrical certification authority in your country of residence then it is a safety hazard. The power supply has not been destructive tested in a certified testing laboratory. The chances are that the insulating materials are constructed from sub-standard non-flame retardant materials. The electronic components are sub-standard counterfeit components.

SECOND RULE: A true professional knows about the first rule and only purchases genuine manufacturer branded products.

There are three ways manufacturer's rate power supplies; peak to peak, peak and RMS. For a power supply to be effective it should be capable of delivering twice the required intermittent power drawn by the appliance. Fully charged 2650ma NiMH batteries are capable of delivering up to ten times their rated current for a few milliseconds and maybe up to half a second.

The only way to rate a DC power supply is maximum continuous user current. If that is not stated AC RMS will give you a good indicator. If either is not stated then the chances are that the rating is peak or peak to peak AC sine wave.

Switched mode power supplies are cheap to manufacture. Most switched mode power supplies on the market operate at 60% efficiency. To operate on the safe side you need to reduce the stated wattage rating of a switched mode power supply by 50% of the stated rating.

Good quality, standard transformer power supplies are bulky and contain heavy duty rectifier, capacitors, regulators and heat sinks. They are expensive and designed for continuous maximum output DC current without thermal overload or protection shut down. If you want power supply reliability then you will have to purchase a power supply with a current rating of double what your battery powered appliance will draw. Yes it will cost you more. In the long run that expensive power supply will have outlived the cheap power supplies on the market by a factor of three or four times. It will also will survive user abuse because of the inbuilt short circuit protection. If the power supply does fail it is usually cheap to repair with off the shelf components from your local electronics store.

I have had a regulated power supply drawing maximum current, the heat sink almost blistering the finger on touch, the fuse lighting up like a light bulb. The fuse eventually failed because of metal fatigue. I replaced the fuse and the power supply performed reliably for years of constant use until I retired it.

Electrocution from mains supplies and death by toxic smoke inhalation from a house fire is a painful way to die. If an individual wants to consider themselves as a prospective candidate for a Darwin Award http://www.darwinawards.com/ that is their prerogative. If you want to live a long productive life then do you homework before purchasing a cheap power supply being sold on the internet. You would not install substandard brakes on your motor vehicle; the same with electricity. If you do not know anything about electricity then spend the money, go genuine and purchase the recommended power supply for your appliance from the manufacturer.       

« Reply #9 on: 14 / January / 2009, 06:13:38 »
There is a discussion here about solutions for external power for the TX-1 (which uses a NB-4L battery).

Basically the best and easiest solution is to just buy the external Canon DC power supply. Your manuals should tell you what the part number to look for is.

If you want to save yourself some dollars (at your own risk of course - and cost you some time), then you can make your own if you know how to solder a few wires and know how to get + and - the right way round. In that case you need to make your own "fake" battery, and get your own wallwart power supply (or external battery pack). I think anything from 3Volt to 4Volt should be fine. A 1Amp supply is probably OK (especially if you are not using the flash), but a 2Amp would be great (I have to disagree with Mariush, increasing the maximum amps is not a problem within reason: the camera only takes as many milliamps as it actually needs). You may have a 3Volt adapter around for an old cellphone that will fit the purpose perfectly. Make sure any supply is DC (says DC or has a long bar above 3 short dashes next to the voltage). I think databoy is scaremongering. Sure, don't buy an unsafe power supply... but anything you can buy from a reputable supplier in the US will be fine (litigiousness at least tends to make suppliers a bit conservative!). If you do need to buy a supply, I suspect the easiest to find would be a 3.3Volt supply used for hobby electronic projects. The camera electronics can handle a fairly wide range of input voltages (as shown by CHDK battery voltage indicator!).