alternative controls -- gesture or maybe voice? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

alternative controls -- gesture or maybe voice?

• 6 Replies

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
alternative controls -- gesture or maybe voice?
« on: 11 / January / 2008, 14:47:02 »
Advertisements

Offline LjL

• A720IS
Re: alternative controls -- gesture or maybe voice?
« Reply #1 on: 04 / July / 2008, 07:28:32 »
Bumping, because there is now another possibility for using "gestures", which is very similar to what's currently very popular on mobile phones that come with accelerometers.

On IS cameras, and possibly on all cameras that come with an orientation sensor, the relevant sensors should be sensitive enough to allow for gesture processing.

Examples: flip the camera down, it goes into macro mode.
Tilt it left and right, and it adjusts focus - tilt it more, and it adjusts it faster (quite handy for cameras that don't have a wheel control, I'd say!).

Maybe the sensors just aren't precise enough to get a virtual horizon as in the camera orientation demo, but I'm confident they're precise enough for a gesture or two!

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #2 on: 04 / July / 2008, 07:32:43 »
VERY good idea :)

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #3 on: 04 / July / 2008, 12:20:57 »
So id don't have to figure out how this serial input through usb-voltage was done?
I think I'll have to try my glove-control, cause I think this won't come in the next months...
(I don't know how to do it.)

jetzt

Offline cyril42e

• SD1000/Ixus70 1.02a
    • CR-TEKnologies
« Reply #4 on: 04 / July / 2008, 14:44:29 »
On IS cameras, and possibly on all cameras that come with an orientation sensor, the relevant sensors should be sensitive enough to allow for gesture processing.

Examples: flip the camera down, it goes into macro mode.
Tilt it left and right, and it adjusts focus - tilt it more, and it adjusts it faster (quite handy for cameras that don't have a wheel control, I'd say!).

You don't need an accelerometer for that, you can do tracking with the viewport image flow too.

Offline LjL

• A720IS
« Reply #5 on: 04 / July / 2008, 14:47:40 »
An orientation sensor is not an accelerometer, and I think just about all the Powershots have it...

You're right, too, but I can't honestly see that approach working too well...

(Edit) To elaborate on that, there's three main issues I see with using the viewport.

The first is that you often won't know how to interpret the data: what if the light is so low your algorithm can't really see much of anything? What if there is no clearly discernible horizon in the landscape? Ouch.

The second issue is that the algorithm would really have to be clever and fast to do the guessing right! Unless there's something I don't know, we only have a little ARM processor to work with, and with that, we'd need to find a way to make an accurate guess as to where the horizon is, in 30 milliseconds' time. Ouch.

And finally, even if we can do that guessing constantly in real time, just how much battery power would that drain? Ouch.
« Last Edit: 04 / July / 2008, 19:22:40 by LjL »

Offline LjL

• A720IS
« Reply #6 on: 06 / July / 2008, 10:04:14 »
I've published a preliminary implementation of the examples I gave (focus and macro), see this message, use at your own risk.