The SX1 IS Porting Thread - page 8 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

The SX1 IS Porting Thread

• 381 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: The SX1 IS Porting Thread
« Reply #70 on: 14 / April / 2009, 04:44:57 »
Advertisements
great progress you two :)
now remember, in order to add the sx1 to the trunk in the fastest way we need a diff, a diff that contains all new & changed files. that way the sx1 could be integrated into the autobuild within minutes :)

« Reply #71 on: 14 / April / 2009, 05:24:31 »
Thank you PhyrePhox!

Now having a "true" Alpha Release of CHDK for the SX1, this was my next question: How to join into the official CHDK-Shell Release :-)

Actually I found out the Long Exposure, was not yet really working (camera.h needed to be modified and another small correction on the code), but it is now!

So we are left (except Zebra/Edge Overlay) to make the PS.FI2 Working and we (pev69 and me) are ready (Tonight?) ;-)

I will make a such a diff and post it here (later today - i think)

Cheers

Fredi

« Reply #72 on: 14 / April / 2009, 05:45:09 »
A word to "Long Exposure Feature" on the SX1...

In "P", "Av", "Auto" Mode it somehow using completely extensive settings....choosing 9*10(factor) should be 90sec (showing this also as "preset" on CHDK Status) but after half-pressing Shutter it will go up to 2332sec (in P-Mode) or 1116sec (in Av)....

So far long exposure is only set correctly in Tv + M Mode....but I haven't checked the initial thread (A580 related) down to the end....

Addtionally: (not sure if it is related to the Long Exposure Add-on) I saw that Aperture can be set up to 33.17!!

« Reply #73 on: 14 / April / 2009, 05:48:45 »
Great work! I love you fboesch an pev69!
Thank you very much for this job!

« Reply #74 on: 14 / April / 2009, 10:31:32 »
Damn, Fboesch & pev69, you are porting guru's indeed. :D
I'm following this thread for some time now and am really suprised how much work can be done by only 2 guys in such a short amount of time.
I wish I could be of some assistance but am a novice regarding the CHDK compiling.
But I really can't wait to try it out!!

Thanks again for the effort
« Last Edit: 14 / April / 2009, 10:33:31 by derrobbie »

« Reply #75 on: 14 / April / 2009, 10:46:02 »
@all: Thank you of your interest!

Will post later this evening (within next 8h) the current "working" Alpha Release with Notes.

(Unfortunately ;-) ) I've got to do other things too...it would be just beautiful to make the PS.FI2 Method working too... (Zebra & Edge Overlay Feature needs to be fixed in the corresponding Source Code...I do not know if there is a specific "owner" of these parts and want to ask them first).

Else - Even the Video Quality Setting Override works on the SX1 --> 3sec FullHD Video with 50 just generates 13MByte of Data with Setting 80 it will be 40Mbyte (!) for 3 sec (same Scene)...

Regarding RAW: Due to (yet) missing support of applications (DNG4PS2) and not yet the final Area-Settings, the created RAW Files are "unreadable" (to me & Photo Digital Professional from Canon). But the files are created (about 16MByte size). But it is an SX1 with native RAW support....so i count this as "minor" one....

till later

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #76 on: 14 / April / 2009, 11:01:05 »
Regarding RAW: Due to (yet) missing support of applications (DNG4PS2) and not yet the final Area-Settings, the created RAW Files are "unreadable" (to me & Photo Digital Professional from Canon). But the files are created (about 16MByte size). But it is an SX1 with native RAW support....so i count this as "minor" one....

You can use RAW sum/average/develop fuctions (in CHDK) to verify your RAWs.
DNG support is not required for this camera, because native RAW support present.
Hoeever, we can read some CCD settings from third-party software:

Code: [Select]
Sensor Width                    : 4152
Sensor Height                   : 2772
Sensor Left Border              : 344
Sensor Top Border               : 24
Sensor Right Border             : 3991
Sensor Bottom Border            : 2759
Black Mask Left Border          : 168
Black Mask Top Border           : 312
Black Mask Right Border         : 171
Black Mask Bottom Border        : 2471

Offline pev69

« Reply #77 on: 14 / April / 2009, 13:16:55 »
My thanks also for your compliments, people :), although my part in this porting is very small.

I will try to dig into the booting/FI2 problem now, but I too have other things that keep me from giving 100% time to CHDK at the moment.
« Last Edit: 14 / April / 2009, 13:26:55 by pev69 »

« Reply #78 on: 14 / April / 2009, 13:40:11 »
Thank you ewavr! Actually played around and "developed" some taken RAW Picture with CHDK itself....(funny results :-) hope that with values above, the "ghost shadows" will vanish.

@ALL (Tester and people not worring about still some glitches/missing functions, but eager to get CHDK on their SX1) :

This the Alpha-Build (based on CHDK Build Trunk729) for the SX1 Canon Firmware 2.00h

ATTENTION: ATTACHMENT HAS BEEN REMOVED DUE TO NEWER VERSION LATER IN THIS THREAD!

Includes in working status
- Extra Photo Operations (and all "override" settings within this menu)
-  included is ewavr's latest miracle - "Long exposures" (> 64sec ...if required...)
- Video Parameters (and settings within this menu)
- RAW parameters menu (and settings within this menu)
- Scripts, Games, Correct OSD information

Not (yet) working correctly/sure that it is correct (as mentioned earlier)
- Edge overlay function
- Zebra function  (but ok if switching to "Wide" picture mode)
- RAW function by CHDK....works somehow but on a PC/Mac I haven't seen anything yet :-) But it is an SX1 with native RAW support anyway....
- boot via ps.fi2 method (cam will crash --> open battery compartment if it happened)

Sometimes:
- occasionally the CHDK Menu will disappear in parts or completely. Workaround: scrolling up or down (as you would have anyway) will let the menu re-appear.

Instructions for Installation

- Prepare your SD Card (smaller than 4GB) with CardTricks (look on CHDK.Wikia.com and make your SD Card bootable for Canon Cams)
- Unpack the contained files onto the prepared SD Card manually.
- PS.FI2 is included but not working yet, ...Just "Diskboot.bin" method for now.
- Lock the SD Card and insert it into your SX1

Push the Play Button or PowerOn Button short to start the SX1 in "View/Play" Mode inclusive startup of CHDK
Push the PowerOn Button for 1 sec (until lens extracts) to start in "Record" Mode inclusive startup of CHDK

To use "long exposures":
- Go to Tv or M Mode
- Go to CHDK "Extra Photo Operations" menu
- Choose for "Shutterspeed enum type" -->  Factor
- Choose "Value Factor" --> 10 (or higher)
- Choose "Override shutter speed" --> what ever you like example "9"

--> 9*10 = 90 sec exposure. Be careful if using in other shooting modes! calculated exposure in "P" mode is suddenly 2332 seconds!!...
____

Video Quality:  I've played around and set the [Quality] + [10] (instead of [Default]/[84]) and it is amazing:

10second with 1920x1080 Video gets very VERY SMALL (8.4MByte instead of 50Mbyte)....okay..."fast movement" show Square-Artefacts, but if object is not moving to fast/strong it is still very ok....and my older PC is able to play the file without stuttering due to lower bandwidth consumption of the Video....I would say it is still very usable if Video's are processed on a PC to the final result on "HD-ready" resolutions (1280x720).

Hope you enjoy.
« Last Edit: 16 / April / 2009, 16:10:18 by fboesch »

"the files"
« Reply #79 on: 14 / April / 2009, 13:43:31 »
hi pev69

Here are the actual files (still trunk729, eventough 730 is out) with the progress of today!

(Just that we are in sync again)

...let us PM later ...

...and as you've seen: we may enter soon into the official builds... :-D

talk to you later!

F.

« Last Edit: 16 / April / 2009, 16:10:40 by fboesch »