USB Remote Shutter - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

USB Remote Shutter

• 14 Replies
USB Remote Shutter
« on: 24 / April / 2009, 17:22:56 »
Advertisements
Well.. looking similar realization (we can find several solution in the web..) I made this remote usb shutter.
If someone is interested I attach some pictures and informations  :D

I forgot to say... the knob is made by two cylinder box for photographic film. :P
« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2009, 17:25:30 by Mackly73 »

databoy

Re: USB Remote Shutter
« Reply #1 on: 24 / April / 2009, 19:23:39 »
Congratulations, you are the first person on this site who has wired a regulator compliant to the manufacturer's specifications. Everyone else puts the switch where the battery is. I would suggest that you put a 10uf tantalum capacitor and a .01uf ceramic across the output and a 100ohm resistor in series with the 5volt USB line. Sometimes the regulators will go into high frequency oscillation when there is no load and no capacitors on the output. I have observed the characteristic on an oscilloscope. If you have contact bounce try a .01uf ceramic across the switch.

Keep up the good work. 

« Reply #2 on: 25 / April / 2009, 16:54:23 »
Hi Databoy, thank you for your suggestion.
You are right for the possibility of the oscillation in this type of regulators. In fact I choiced a particular type that don't need output capacity for stability.
Anyway... If we insert capacitance as you suggest the signal result will be better during on/off of the switch. :D

Thank you again  :)

Offline RSA

« Reply #3 on: 27 / April / 2009, 15:26:27 »
Do you know what the standby current draw is on the 78L05?

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #4 on: 27 / April / 2009, 15:37:16 »
Do you know what the standby current draw is on the 78L05?

3-5 mA (this heavy load for Li button-cells), and requires minimum 7.5 V input voltage to keep 5V output.
LP2950 is more appropriate regulator (micropower  (75uA) and low-drop (<0.4V)).

« Reply #5 on: 28 / April / 2009, 15:23:01 »
Hi ewavr,
for consuption considering that I didn't provide an on-off input switch I believe you are right.   :'(
For the voltage The model MC78L05 has dropout voltage 1.7V (means 6.7V input minimum to generate 5V). Anyway LP2950 is very appropriate, of course!  :)

Thanks. I will provide some update in my thread for next days.  ::)

« Reply #6 on: 30 / April / 2009, 14:32:53 »

Hi.. new user here. I have the Canon SX10 IS. Very pleased, except that there's no remote control. I found this forum on Google, and apparently it's possible to remote control the camera via USB and some kind of remote. Ricoh CA-1 has been mentioned. However, I absolutely need ZOOM control also. Can it be done?

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #7 on: 30 / April / 2009, 19:18:41 »
HienoKaveri, CHDK is an additional firmware that installs on Canon cameras.
It adds a LOT of features, including remote.
Zoom ia remote is possible with CHDK, but you'll have to use some script (small programs that CHDK lets you run inside the camera)

« Reply #8 on: 01 / January / 2011, 19:37:57 »
This is a stupid question, I'm new to CDHK, and I hope this isn't in a FAQ somewhere (do forgive me if it is).

I was looking at the schematic above that uses a voltage regulator and a switch (debounced or otherwise) on the Vout side of the regulator, and one thing that bothers me is that the thing will burn power even nothing is switching.  Now, there's a mention of people putting the switch on the Vin side, but I'm not convinced this is the right way to operate an inexpensive voltage regulator - but maybe I'm making too big of a deal of power up/down transient behavior.

In principle, one could just take a 5V battery and feed that voltage to the appropriate USB line, but I'd want to do some kind of debouncing, and again: transients.  But are these transients really a big deal?  Is there a scheme that would, say, use some kind of protection diode to limit the voltage on the USB line?  I'm imagining a battery or series of batteries supplying 5V, a switch with a series resistor (chosen to limit current to 100mA?) and a zener diode (turn-on voltage around 5V) across the output (and maybe also a capacitor across the output as well, for filtering)?   Is there an advantage/disadvantage of this compared to the regulator-based schemes?

« Reply #9 on: 01 / January / 2011, 20:00:50 »
Hello and welcome.

People make USB switches that are far more complicated than they need to be.

First of all, understand that the +5V V+ has nothing to do with any USB standard.
It is simply a logic signal that is fed via interfacing transistors to the DIGIC processor.
Current consumption is a fraction of a mA !

Use three 1.2V batteries, three 1.5V batteries or two 3V batteries and a simple switch on the camera side.

I use a  switch made from a modified tiny torch and sold by member 'fvdk' :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/sets/72157624151791739/