G9 - Want to shoot 5, 7, 9, 11 bracketed shots for HDR - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

G9 - Want to shoot 5, 7, 9, 11 bracketed shots for HDR

• 10 Replies
G9 - Want to shoot 5, 7, 9, 11 bracketed shots for HDR
« on: 18 / August / 2009, 15:07:35 »
Advertisements
I'm new to CHDK, and find it a bit overwhelming. I'm looking to do a couple of rather simple things, but can't figure out if CHDK will do this "as-is" or if I need a script.

I want to shoot a series of bracketed shots altering the shutter speed by a specific  +/- EV setting between each shot for use in compiling an HDR image. The Canon firmware will only do 3 shots, normal exposure, 1 plus, and 1 minus shot at some EV (1/3 to 2). I want to do 5, 7, 9, or more shots at +/- "x"EV (7 would be 1 normal, and 3 over, 3 under). Do I need a script for this, or can CHDK do it as is? If so, please list the steps and menu entries to alter. I would also be nice if the 2 second self time could be triggered before the first shot so there is no camera shake on the first image from pressing the button.

If this requires a script, once I saw a script that does this I could probably figure out the rest.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Re: G9 - Want to shoot 5, 7, 9, 11 bracketed shots for HDR
« Reply #1 on: 18 / August / 2009, 15:41:22 »
No problem.

Read all of this page http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/capture.htm

No script needed.

David

« Reply #2 on: 18 / August / 2009, 16:00:00 »
David, I'm afraid this is just as confusing. The page talks about menu items that don't exist.

Still need help.

« Reply #3 on: 18 / August / 2009, 16:40:45 »
Go to this page http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm and further down you will see all the DISKBOOT.BIN versions for various cameras.

Assuming that you have a bootable card, replace existing DISKBOOT.BIN with downloaded version.

If you wish to try other features, such as time-lapse, download Common_files.zip from the same page.

David

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 19 / August / 2009, 02:24:00 »
@Jeffffff

In the case you want to do it with CHDK instead of using the Stereo Data Maker (SDM):

Scriptless Tv bracketing
SD990 guidance

« Reply #5 on: 19 / August / 2009, 10:02:53 »
@fe50

Great! That works. The maximum number of shots on custom timer is 10, but since HDR sequences use odd vales, 9 shots is the max. I doubt I'll need more than 9. That gives me the primary exposure, with 4 overs and 4 unders. With the Canon firmware is was only 1 over 1 under (3 total).

I'll probably take a peek at that SDM build too out of curiosity.

Thank you everyone.

OK, Next...

I want to dabble with time lapse. The camera has a built in time lapse, but only 1 or 2 seconds between shots. I keep seeing reference to an "Intervalometer". I assume this is a script that allows a more custom control of time settings so I can go above 2 seconds per shot. Is this a script, or built into CHDK? Also, does this create an AVI or movie file, or just take picture files that must be rendered into a movie file? (I saw reference to a program called SUPER that can do this?)

J

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #6 on: 19 / August / 2009, 12:19:40 »
Is this a script, or built into CHDK?

A script
Actually there are plenty of them around, going from the simplest to the most complex ones

Basically, this is a simple intervalometer:

Code: [Select]
@title Intervalometer
@param a delay between shots (sec)
@default a 1
let s=a*1000

:loop
shoot
sleep s
goto "loop"

This is a complex one:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts:_Ultra_Intervalometer

In both cases, save the code in a file called interval.bas or similar and put it into the CHDK/SCRIPTS folder

Scripts can be written in ubasic or lua, two different languages (SDM only supports uBasic)

further reading for ubasic
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/TutorialScratchpad
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/chdk/images/6/6d/UBASIC_User_Guide_D0_4.pdf

and for LUA:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/LUA

Also, does this create an AVI or movie file, or just take picture files that must be rendered into a movie file?

you get pictures that must be assembled.

Virtualdub is a program commonly used for this.

« Reply #7 on: 19 / August / 2009, 13:56:46 »
@fbonomi:

Thanks. I looked at the "complex" script, and loaded it into the camera. Works as advertised. I'm kind of amazed, not that this works, but the capability and programability.

I already tried modifying the script to tailor it slightly.

I notice my G9 has a shot cycle time of about 3 seconds. Anyone know how I can lessen this shot-to-shot time? The way it is, setting an interval of one second causes a actual shot-to-shot time of about 4 seconds.

It would seem I can use the camera itself for 1 or 2 second time lapse, and the script for 4+ seconds. Not that this matters, it's all part of the learning process.

For time lapse, should I be using the 640x480 mode for images, or use the 12mp sized images? (note: shot-to-shot time the same for either 640 or 12mp).

Anyone care to chime in on how to use virtualdub to render the movie? The basic steps, so I can get an output movie.

Thanks

« Reply #8 on: 19 / August / 2009, 14:41:30 »
There are plenty of links for using VirtualDub with image sequences.

Make sure you get a later version that supports image sequence in File\Open video File

(click the 'Files of type' drop-down menu).

Save as an AVI file using XVid codec, for example.

Someone has taken images with SDM at a faster rate than you mention, not sure about CHDK.

David

« Reply #9 on: 19 / August / 2009, 19:02:27 »
There are plenty of links for using VirtualDub with image sequences.

Make sure you get a later version that supports image sequence in File\Open video File

(click the 'Files of type' drop-down menu).

Save as an AVI file using XVid codec, for example.

Can you point me to some links on using Virtualdub in this manner?

Thanks