A2000IS porting - page 7 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A2000IS porting

• 95 Replies
Re: A2000IS porting
« Reply #60 on: 30 / September / 2009, 14:48:17 »
Advertisements
Thank you.  That is a very helpful answer.  Sort of what I expected as I was doing some more reading of the thread.

Seperate topic - maybe you'll just refer me to a different thread, but...

Is there any one Canon P&S that would be considered a "reference platform" for CHDK which supports most or all of the CHDK feature set.  Also if it has good features and picture quality.  In other words, if I was going to buy a new or used camera that was the "best one" for CHDK, what would you recommend?

david

Offline reyalp

« Reply #61 on: 30 / September / 2009, 20:05:05 »
Is there any one Canon P&S that would be considered a "reference platform" for CHDK which supports most or all of the CHDK feature set.
No, CHDK features depend on
1) the hardware available in that particular camera. (e.g. aperture control requires iris hardware)
2) someone has taken the time to implement various CHDK features that require extra code (e.g. extra long exposures)
3) some features require things that only exist in certain camera firmwares, or we don't know how to implement them on some cameras (e.g. DNG extension visible over usb)
Also if it has good features and picture quality.  In other words, if I was going to buy a new or used camera that was the "best one" for CHDK, what would you recommend?
The one that is the best without CHDK (which you can probably get some idea of from review sites), unless that particular port has specific problems with CHDK features that you need.

The biggest influence on picture quality are sensor and optics. CHDK obviously can't affect either of these things.

I'm sorry to give such a useless answer, but the "best" camera depends on your specific requirements.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #62 on: 07 / October / 2009, 20:29:36 »
Has anyone been able to view raw files from the a2000? I've tried opening both the crw and dng files with every raw converter I could get my hands on and nothing has been able to read those files. I've tried dng4ps-2, which I've read probably wouldn't a2000 crw files anyway because it hasn't been updated in a while (and it couldn't). I tried raw photo processor, ufraw and adobe camera raw 4.6 on the dng files and had no luck. I'm using a mac with os x 10.4.11. If anyone has been able to read the raw files I'd love to hear how you did it! Thanks.

Jono

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #63 on: 08 / October / 2009, 01:11:25 »
Has anyone been able to view raw files from the a2000? I've tried opening both the crw and dng files with every raw converter I could get my hands on and nothing has been able to read those files. I've tried dng4ps-2, which I've read probably wouldn't a2000 crw files anyway because it hasn't been updated in a while (and it couldn't). I tried raw photo processor, ufraw and adobe camera raw 4.6 on the dng files and had no luck. I'm using a mac with os x 10.4.11. If anyone has been able to read the raw files I'd love to hear how you did it! Thanks.

..found on page #1 on this thread:
- All DNG color problems fixed. (took the correct color parameters from ixus870_sd880 which AFAIK should have the exact same sensor). Generated DNGs look good with Raw Therapee and Adobe Camera Raw

« Reply #64 on: 08 / October / 2009, 03:39:36 »
All .CRW and .DNG files worked fine with RAW Therapee, XnView and Qtpfsgui.
PhotoImpact 12 was also able to open the .DNG (but not the .CRW)
« Last Edit: 08 / October / 2009, 03:56:49 by dabbeljuh »
Canon Powershot A2000 IS (GM 1.00B)

« Reply #65 on: 10 / October / 2009, 05:33:22 »
Hi,
I'm installed CHDK on my A2000is camera with 1.00A firmware and seems to work all well.

« Reply #66 on: 10 / October / 2009, 13:41:13 »
Thanks for the great job! This CHDK beta version seems to also work with my 1.00B FW

Well, I just tested some functions and got a question.

When I set TV longer than 1 second using CHDK, lots of bad pixel appear, but if I set it using Canon's built-in "long shutter", the camera will perform NR(noise reduction) and the final image is free of those bad pixel.
So I'm wondering if CHDK can add an option that can fully control CANON's NR function (ON/OFF) which may help raise the image quality especially night shot~~

Any reply will be appreciated

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #67 on: 10 / October / 2009, 13:48:24 »
Hello & welcome, douglas !
So I'm wondering if CHDK can add an option that can fully control CANON's NR function (ON/OFF) which may help raise the image quality especially night shot~~
This is available in CHDK for long, long time now, read here: Firmware usage
In newer CHDK versions the menu item is named "Dark Frame Subtraction"

« Reply #68 on: 11 / October / 2009, 01:13:51 »
Thank you, fe50!

It seems to make no difference whether "Dark Frame Subtraction" is turned On or not on my camera... The hot Pixel still remains

Do I need any further operation or it's just the problem of the port?
« Last Edit: 11 / October / 2009, 01:17:26 by douglas »

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #69 on: 11 / October / 2009, 07:36:05 »
It seems to make no difference whether "Dark Frame Subtraction" is turned On or not on my camera... The hot Pixel still remains
Do I need any further operation or it's just the problem of the port?

First we should check whether the the CHDK NR is controllable on this port...

- with the CHDK NR set to "OFF", a dark frame should never be taken, as well not with a long exposure (e.g. 3s).

- with the CHDK NR set to "ON", a dark frame should always be taken,
  also when the Canon fw normally don't take a DF - e.g. with exposures < 0.5s.

- with the CHDK NR set to "AUTO", the camera should take dark frames the same way as without CHDK

You should be able to recognize this from the time capturing the image needs (taking a DF doubles the time, you'll see "Busy" after the shoot while the camera takes the DF).

Read also a bit about the two Badpixel removal methods in CHDK...