CHDK Control of the Mode Dial for A570IS - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK Control of the Mode Dial for A570IS

• 76 Replies

Offline Jim

Re: CHDK Control of the Mode Dial for A570IS
« Reply #20 on: 16 / February / 2008, 22:12:15 »
Advertisements
All,

Any update on this CHDK "Dial Mode" development.

After a quick skim of the messages above it looks like:
 - dial mode control can be done (via parameter codes for each dial position)
 - testing on A570IS was a success
 - discussion on several approches (click mode vs press mode)
 - discussion on what name to use for this function
 - discussion on uBasic command syntax (look up tables vs. generic command syntax)
 - request to move to development (I assume to compile into core CHDK build)
 - I did download the zip file, but got lost in the directories....need a bit of help for a simple script jockey like me!

Next steps?

I am ready to test with CHDK scripts if I can get a build for the A570IS 101a and uBasic script command and syntax.

Looking to put it all up on a kite soon with a little bit of help from my CHKD friends on this forum!   :-)

Offline zeno

« Reply #21 on: 25 / February / 2008, 13:44:38 »
Like Jim, I'm a Kite Aerial Photographer. The ability in a script to switch modes, particularly between video and photo modes, would be very useful. We set up the camera and then launch it into the air so there's no chance of pressing a button until we bring it back to earth again. Until CHDK came along we used a variety of techniques - radio-controlled servos 'pressing' buttons, cameras with built-in intervalometers or neat  devices like GentLeds (http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/) and Tucits (http://www.inenglish.com/tucit/) for cameras that supported them. CHDK is a real advance for us.

It seems that experiments have shown that switching modes is possible, can we have it added to the standard build please?
« Last Edit: 25 / February / 2008, 13:49:10 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline Jim

« Reply #22 on: 24 / March / 2008, 22:53:14 »
All, brief update on controlling the dial mode on a Canon A570IS with modified CHDK build.  With the help of fellow Kite Ariel Photographer (KAPer),  Dave,  we have successfully added the dial mode command based on work from Jeff666 to the base Allbest37 build.  CHDK scripts have been written and tested (ground based testing and flying on a kite) to change the dial mode from still pictures (using Tv dial mode) to video mode using the "dm_movie" command.  This opens the door to many new options by directly controlling the mode dial.   I hope this code gets adopted by the core developers so everyone can use it.  Thanks again to Jeff666 and Dave for their help.

« Reply #23 on: 25 / March / 2008, 05:03:05 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:50:08 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline zeno

« Reply #24 on: 25 / March / 2008, 05:32:58 »
Dave here. I've made a special version of Allbest37 (for the A570) available to the KAP community (see this thread http://steel.ced.berkeley.edu/cris/kap/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=1222&page=3#Item_130) but I don't know how to get it integrated into the trunk.
« Last Edit: 25 / March / 2008, 05:36:34 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #25 on: 27 / March / 2008, 08:01:00 »
@zeno

Hi Dave

To get it into the the trunk, a good first step would be to stick changed sources and/or a .diff here on this site ...
Adapting it to the latest trunk version would also greatly help people with trunk writing access.
(which does not include me, BTW - but I am very interested in seeing what actually changed in the code, it's definitely
 gonna be usefull for all CHDK developers & users)

wim

edit: keeping up with trunk versions is hard work - just got notified by my Windows tool of todays 3rd version  :D
« Last Edit: 27 / March / 2008, 08:04:29 by whim »

Offline zeno

« Reply #26 on: 27 / March / 2008, 15:05:36 »
wim - thanks for your post. When you say "stick changed sources and/or a .diff here on this site", do you mean "chdk.setepontos.com" or somewhere else?

The changes are in just 2 common files (core/key.c and include/keyboard.h both of which have small additions but no modifications) and one platform specific file (kbd.c) which has some small camera-specific additions and changes to two functions).

keyboard.h has not altered since last December. The core kbd.c was last changed in February. The platform-specific kbd.c has altered recently for some cameras, but I've only been building for the A570 whcih has remained stable since January.
A570, S100, Ixus 127

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #27 on: 28 / March / 2008, 20:34:30 »
hi zeno
sorry for delay, but sometimes real life takes it's toll ...

the best way to upload stuff is using a free hoster (I've used zShare a lot : zSHARE - Free Image, Video, Audio, Flash and File Hosting)
because that does not overload the forum here, give it a try, it's real easy.
just a box where you browse to your file, checkbox to agree to terms of use , click share it
it will then mill about a bit and come back with a link which you then copy/paste either directly into
your forum post, or into a text doc on your computer to copy over to a post here later.
It's easiest, of course to gather files into a zip first.

have fun

wim

Offline zeno

« Reply #28 on: 29 / March / 2008, 07:53:52 »
Thanks wim - well for anyone who's interested, here's a ZIP of the 3 changed source files:
chdkdialmode.zip - 0.01MB

For builds for the A570 incorporating these changes, go here:
http://www.zenonic.demon.co.uk/kapstuff/zchdk.html

Dave
A570, S100, Ixus 127

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #29 on: 14 / April / 2008, 14:06:35 »
*bump*
actually i dont see a reason why there is so few interest in this amazing feature.
what needs to be done to have this included for all cameras? i really would like to see that.
i can help, just tell me how. s3is and a620 at hand here.
btw the KAP community seems to use this feature for a long time, so far no reports of malfunction. so i guess at least for the 570IS the code seems to be fully functional.
« Last Edit: 14 / April / 2008, 14:08:12 by PhyrePhoX »