Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards - page 4 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards

• 209 Replies

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
Re: Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards
« Reply #30 on: 05 / May / 2008, 19:36:40 »
Advertisements
CHDK-Shell - for whom is not exactly an absolute newbie...  works! I compared CHDK-Shell results vs autobuild and the bin files are OK (identical). Of course yours is an easy base-to-end (shell/gcc/trunk/compile/card) solution, but, as there is an "official" autobuilt, could it be a Card To The Very Newbie Tricks version that use a (auto) load link to the autobuild?
Don't get me wrong a like your app, but I'm here defending the very-very newbie interests. So, waiting for your DL version to update the wiki. ;)

comments:
-> 'no space directories' and '1024x768 screen res minimum' is a little bit annoying for me.
-> nice touch Card Tricks' load with the build numb on the title.

Thanks for show me CHDK-Shell!
« Last Edit: 05 / May / 2008, 19:39:17 by intrnst »
-- funny english, be aware -- CHDK for Dummies - The Very First Steps

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #31 on: 06 / May / 2008, 06:11:19 »
@intrnst

Glad you like the shell, I have it running permanently to be sure I have both binaries and sources of the latest version.
The 'no-space-directory' problem is caused by the gcc development kit, so there's little I can do about that ... 
The size is more or less a problem of the program concept: I like to see as much as possible in my main interface;
that said, if you have good eyesight and a small screen, try this:
1) open the ini file 2) find '[Tweaks]', under that it says: 'fscaler=1'; changing to '0.9' would make program fonts 10%
smaller 3) close ini, start program and resize to your liking. Note that the resizing implementation is not complete,
you will have to resize it yourself after every program start.

I get your point about defending absolute noob interests (wasn't proposing CHDK Shell use for them) so I'm off to
hack up CardTricks 1.25+

see you (and thanks for the feedback)

wim

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: 06 / May / 2008, 06:14:07 by whim »

Offline whim

« Reply #32 on: 06 / May / 2008, 08:09:18 »
Ok, here's a version with binary download via browser:

cardtricks126.exe - 0.37MB

The multi language version will take a little longer (boring programming, troubles with string sizes, etc. )

enjoy and let me know if it works for you,

wim

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #33 on: 06 / May / 2008, 08:12:51 »
by the way in the german forum chdklover reported that your tool needs to run with admin rights, which is perfectly "understandable" since you format etc. but it might be worth it to include a sign that reads "please run as administrator" or something, in case a newbie tries to run as non-admin (although i know of no windows newbie that is NOT admin on his box :D)

Offline whim

« Reply #34 on: 06 / May / 2008, 08:36:07 »
@PhyrePhox

Done: cardtricks127.exe - 0.37MB

(also removed tray icon)

wim

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #35 on: 06 / May / 2008, 09:08:28 »
dont forget to update first post everytime you update the binary, please :)
too bad i cant up your rep more than once every 3 hours :D

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #36 on: 06 / May / 2008, 18:12:12 »
@whim
Sweet! 1st DL version, thanks!
But wim... could I dare suggest more?

• As the ini file has the same structure, no matter the version, Card Tricks(new ver) could import Card Tricks(previous ver) settings.

• Add Settings menu/section with:
    • Camera model (so the DL button will be smart enough to dl the correct binary without further questions)
    • Preferred CHDK flavor (yes, I'm thinking on multi versions management interface)
    • Default directory(ies)
    • Default card reader unit

• Download + Save + Copy->Card in the same button (browser independent): It could check if there is a ZIP version stored (settings), check if it's the latest (if not, warn the user), download and then copy to the card.

What do you think?

@BB
Bill, could you kindly check if  FAQ - CHDK Wiki is still understandable?

Thank you both.

Offline BB

« Reply #37 on: 06 / May / 2008, 19:17:15 »
Intrst,

Very clear and readable... NICE.

Last step could include "place write protected card back in camera, and turn on"... Yes obvious--but sometimes it is good to be obvious.

I do have a question--sort of related... When using the PS.FIR file and "upgrade firmware" require a FAT16--or would any SD/SDHC card format work (I only have a A720IS and cannot test the PS.FIR on large capacity cards).

Thank you again!
-Bill

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #38 on: 07 / May / 2008, 01:28:13 »
Last step could include "place write... protected card back in camera, and turn on"...

Done, thanks.

I do have a question--sort of related... When using the PS.FIR file and "upgrade firmware" require a FAT16--or would any SD/SDHC card format work (I only have a A720IS and cannot test the PS.FIR on large capacity cards).

If I understood your comment...
Copy->Card just unzip and copies the CHDK file(s) to the card. But, when a >2GB card is detected Format as FAT chooses to format as a non FAT32 for bootable compatibility. So, when you press Make Bootable, wim writes at 0x40 the BOOTDISK (42 4F 4F 54 44 49 53 4B) instr. at the FAT16 card sector 0.

Do I get it?

Offline BB

« Reply #39 on: 07 / May / 2008, 02:13:14 »

If I understood your comment...
Copy->Card just unzip and copies the CHDK file(s) to the card. But, when a >2GB card is detected Format as FAT chooses to format as a non FAT32 for bootable compatibility. So, when you press Make Bootable, wim writes at 0x40 the BOOTDISK (42 4F 4F 54 44 49 53 4B) instr. at the FAT16 card sector 0.

Do I get it?

Intrnst,

My question was much more simple... Basically, if I have an 8GB card formated as FAT32 and load PS.FIR for a "Wind River OS" camera  that supports the "update firmware" in "Play" mode--Will the PS.FIR file load and run CHDK?

Or, will "update firmware" not work because of the 8GByte FAT32 file system...

-Bill