PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread

• 706 Replies

Offline aquilla

• sx230hs fw v1.01a
Re: PowerShot SX230 HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #10 on: 27 / May / 2011, 07:11:08 »
Advertisements
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_Tools

Here's a (very) comprehensive list of software used in chdk development.  The box.net/chdk link in the post above is simply a download mirror location for the files listed in this wiki, but I thought these descriptions might be useful as well.  Take care,

Aquilla
-Aquilla

Offline daffy.d

• SX230 HS, IXUS 200 IS
« Reply #11 on: 28 / May / 2011, 12:06:52 »
Thanks for all these links. There are lots of information. It looks like it will take several days only to read it :-) I'll go through the links, try as much as I can and provide information about my progress.

For now I managed to get a firmware dump, my previous problem with errors during reading the file was caused by bad card reader. Now it's ok and I can start with disassembling.

Offline aquilla

• sx230hs fw v1.01a
« Reply #12 on: 28 / May / 2011, 12:36:23 »
Sorry for the overload :) Hope some of it proves useful.  And a firmware dump is a good start...

-Aquilla

Offline sylikc

• SX230HS 1.00c, SD750 1.02a ;)
« Reply #13 on: 31 / May / 2011, 18:28:40 »
I'm going to try to set up a build environment and see if I can take some hints from funnel to make a port.  From what I understand, it's going to be very time consuming... and my IDA skills pretty much suck.  Maybe we can do some information sharing daffy.d as we both embark on this new adventure  :blink:

For the time being, when you make your firmware dump of 1.01a photosbykev make sure to put it on the SX230 wiki page that I just wrote up.
props to TPC + PhyrePhox for SD750 work: IXUS75/SD750 1.01a | 1.00b | 1.02a Thread
props to quietschi for multipartition support + button fixes!
SD750 bracketing issues

Offline aquilla

• sx230hs fw v1.01a
« Reply #14 on: 31 / May / 2011, 21:16:37 »
Just fyi, I managed to get a firmware version for my sx230 using ACID.  It reported v1.01a.  I would be willing to attempt a firmware dump as well, but I can make no guarantees.  Everything I've read so far on firmware dumping has left me a little confused.

I've got a 8gb SDHC card and I've been unable to make the card bootable in order to start the process. Is this due to the large storage size?  I've tried cardtricks and HxD but have made no progress.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll read a few more threads and see what I find out.  If I do happen to get a firmware dump for 1.01a I'll post it on the new wiki page. 
-Aquilla

Offline sylikc

• SX230HS 1.00c, SD750 1.02a ;)
« Reply #15 on: 31 / May / 2011, 22:01:58 »
Just fyi, I managed to get a firmware version for my sx230 using ACID.  It reported v1.01a.  I would be willing to attempt a firmware dump as well, but I can make no guarantees.  Everything I've read so far on firmware dumping has left me a little confused.

I've got a 8gb SDHC card and I've been unable to make the card bootable in order to start the process. Is this due to the large storage size?  I've tried cardtricks and HxD but have made no progress.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

aquilla, what is your camera stuck on at the moment.  Did any logs show up after hitting the SET button to start the dump?

Did you create the all the required files?  In HxD, were you able to edit the disk directly so it looks "kinda" like the picture at the bottom of http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Card_Setup ?  Remember, you have to "run as administrator" in Windows 7. 

You can have all types of junk on the card, as long as the required files are at the root.  For "script.req" i found that it worked without the trailing new line character, so try that.  After pressing the SET button, you should see some small bit of change in the upper left of the screen, depending on whether you have a picture showing or not.

(in hindsight I ended up cheating and using my SD750 to create the card that was used to do the dump, but this week I'll try to create the card from scratch)

/sylikc
props to TPC + PhyrePhox for SD750 work: IXUS75/SD750 1.01a | 1.00b | 1.02a Thread
props to quietschi for multipartition support + button fixes!
SD750 bracketing issues

Offline genie

« Reply #16 on: 01 / June / 2011, 04:57:00 »
Hi, I'm new to this great board.

I tried to get a firmware dump from SX230HS with Canon Basic script and i succeeded.

Firmware version: GM1.00C (1.0.0.0)
P-ID: 3228 PAL D
Adj Ver: 010.010
Build Feb 8 2011   19:18:03

Firmware uploaded here:  http://bertls-berge.co.de/download/SX230HS_GM1_00C.zip

I hope this helps.

genie

Sorry for my bad English!
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2011, 07:12:37 by genie »
Sorry for my bad English.I am a Bavarian and German is the only foreign language i speak.

« Reply #17 on: 01 / June / 2011, 07:33:52 »
I got my camera on order, and once I get it I will attempt to port CHDK for it.

I have had a little experiance in reverse engineering, but nothing on the ARM architecture.

My camera should be here within the week,

If you guys are willing to combine efforts let me know.

Offline aquilla

• sx230hs fw v1.01a
« Reply #18 on: 01 / June / 2011, 19:20:53 »

aquilla, what is your camera stuck on at the moment.  Did any logs show up after hitting the SET button to start the dump?

Did you create the all the required files?  In HxD, were you able to edit the disk directly so it looks "kinda" like the picture at the bottom of http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_Basic/Card_Setup ?  Remember, you have to "run as administrator" in Windows 7. 

You can have all types of junk on the card, as long as the required files are at the root.  For "script.req" i found that it worked without the trailing new line character, so try that.  After pressing the SET button, you should see some small bit of change in the upper left of the screen, depending on whether you have a picture showing or not.

(in hindsight I ended up cheating and using my SD750 to create the card that was used to do the dump, but this week I'll try to create the card from scratch)

/sylikc

Following your instructions sylikc, I was able to successfully dump firmware version 1.01A. I had forgotten to show the .txt file extensions in windows explorer. 

Firmware Ver GM1.01A (1.0.1.0)
Adj Ver .010.010

I've uploaded a zip file with the dump to box.net and updated the SX230hs wiki page as well. 

Thanks again for your help, sylikc.  It looks like interest in porting the sx230hs is finally starting to build. 
-Aquilla

Offline aquilla

• sx230hs fw v1.01a
« Reply #19 on: 02 / June / 2011, 15:07:43 »
I got my camera on order, and once I get it I will attempt to port CHDK for it.

I have had a little experiance in reverse engineering, but nothing on the ARM architecture.

My camera should be here within the week,

If you guys are willing to combine efforts let me know.

Definitely, Taliesin.  Its good to have someone with prior reverse engineering experience working on this project, even if you are unfamiliar with the ARM architecture.  Let us know what progress you make.  For right now there are 2 firmware dumps (v1.00 and v1.01) available at the sx230hs wiki page for you to experiment with. 

You can read more about chdk and the porting process here. Let us know when your camera arrives and you can begin  :)

Take care,
Aquilla   
-Aquilla