Timelapse and saving in-camera to DNG - page 2 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

Timelapse and saving in-camera to DNG

• 17 Replies
Re: Timelapse and saving in-camera to DNG
« Reply #10 on: 04 / November / 2009, 06:15:21 »
Advertisements
Hi mate. Problem is that I am using this to apply HDR on the RAW image (I will generate multiple images from the single RAW at different exposures, a pseudo-HDR), so the minor extra detail and dynamic range is worth it. Also, I will be shooting sunrises and sunsets, so again the extra detail.
In terms of size, I hope this will ultimately go for a filmout, so at some point of time, be projected on the big screen at a film festival.
On my own, I never bother using RAW, I dont think the extra detail is visible. However, when the image is going to be projected on a big screen, the extra detail is important.
I will be downrezzing it to 1080p or even 2K or 4K for filmout.
CHDK used for a Bullet-time sequence
Welcome to mishra.tv productions

« Reply #11 on: 04 / November / 2009, 07:07:29 »
I will generate multiple images from the single RAW at different exposures

Why not do bracketed time-lapse exposures and 'blend' with Enfuse as described on this page ? :-

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/capture.htm

The Enfuse droplet will batch convert an entire folder of images automatically using the correct number of bracketed images for each merged image.

This is exposure blending (which I think you want) and not HDR.

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #12 on: 04 / November / 2009, 07:37:07 »
I will generate multiple images from the single RAW at different exposures

Why not do bracketed time-lapse exposures and 'blend' with Enfuse as described on this page ?

which one is better: making HDR from DNG/RAW or from bracketed (3 or more) JPG?
i've done bracketing, and it works really great (and fast too).
can better results be achieved with RAW/DNG?

« Reply #13 on: 04 / November / 2009, 07:44:56 »
Problem is that you cannot bracket if there is subject movement. I am shooting the city. Cars, people...Leaves. Bracketing wont work for me.
CHDK used for a Bullet-time sequence
Welcome to mishra.tv productions

Offline reyalp

« Reply #14 on: 04 / November / 2009, 16:24:40 »
So the DNG does not offer any more info than the CRW, its only a way of saving time and effort in converting CRW to DNG in post. DNG4PS has the same camera profiles.
Is that right ?
DNG4PS2 is "special" compared to other CHDK raw converters, in that it gets meta data from the corresponding jpeg. In camera DNG generally contains the same metadata. The color matrix may or may not be the same.

The best thing to do is to take some sample sequences with various setting, and see what gives you the best results with your particular combination of cameras, tools and workflow.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #15 on: 05 / November / 2009, 10:37:06 »
Problem is that you cannot bracket if there is subject movement. I am shooting the city. Cars, people...Leaves. Bracketing wont work for me.
Then raw will probably won't work either, because of looooong saving times. There's a few seconds delay when saving RAW, so there might be a problem with smoothness of resulting movie.

But that's just a few thoughts, maybe it will work fine for you.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #16 on: 05 / November / 2009, 16:46:22 »
Then raw will probably won't work either, because of looooong saving times. There's a few seconds delay when saving RAW, so there might be a problem with smoothness of resulting movie.

Not really... people or cars moving very quickly or trees twitching may not look very good in the final movie, but at least all frames are more or less sharp and realistic photos. A stack from the same scene generates ghostly, duplicated people or cars  and weird fuzzy trees. That may be a cool effect, but is probably often not always welcome...certainly worth an experiment, of course.

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #17 on: 06 / November / 2009, 03:02:08 »
people or cars moving very quickly or trees twitching may not look very good in the final movie, but at least all frames are more or less sharp and realistic photos.
exactly, that's my point: you have choice of either smooth playback, but not so sharp frames (lots of frames, short delay between frames) or realistic, sharp frames and choppy playback (low framerate, log delay between shots, great sharpness).

It really depends on what are you planning to do. I've shot some clouds stacked HDR timelapses, and it was ok, but it might be not good enough for fast moving obejct, like you said.