sx50 raw issues - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

sx50 raw issues

• 3 Replies
sx50 raw issues
« on: 24 / August / 2014, 14:28:11 »
Advertisements
Sorry, I'm a newbee and may need guidance about using this forum.  I have almost the exact same problem with the pink screens with my new Canon SX50HS when shooting in Auto mode (and a few other instances).

Could anyone direct me to a solution? (or work around).  I have been searching for almost a month now, and this is the closest I have gotten to finding an answer. 

Attached is a screen capture of the dng image I get in PSBridge. 

Michael - Michaeltbf

Offline reyalp

Re: sx50 raw issues
« Reply #1 on: 24 / August / 2014, 16:00:17 »
Sorry, I'm a newbee and may need guidance about using this forum.  I have almost the exact same problem with the pink screens with my new Canon SX50HS when shooting in Auto mode (and a few other instances).
Does this happen for every shot in auto, or just some?
Could anyone direct me to a solution? (or work around).  I have been searching for almost a month now, and this is the closest I have gotten to finding an answer. 
Try using P instead of auto, or use Canon native raw instead of CHDK raw.

Corrupt raw in auto is known issue on many recent cameras, I'm not sure if it has been specifically discussed for the sx50 before.

edit:
I split this topic since it really has nothing to do with the sd900
« Last Edit: 24 / August / 2014, 16:04:09 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 24 / August / 2014, 17:51:59 »
Thanks for splitting the topic, I didn't know how to handle that - 
It makes sense to segregate by camera since that is the way the builds are done. 
Answers:
There are occasional "Auto Mode" shots that produce usable dng files.  I've shot several hundred test files but I cannot determine ANY pattern.  In all cases however the Metadata in Bridge records: "Flash Fired, compulsory mode".  In fact the flash was NOT used for any of these shots.

Yes I can use Program Mode.  I can live without Auto Mode, but until today I thought I was the reason for the bad files and spent a lot of time testing.  I was hoping to save time for others so they wouldn't have to waste their time.

Isn't Canon native raw a pain because it's CR2 format must be converted before being usable in Photoshop?
« Last Edit: 24 / August / 2014, 17:54:05 by Michaeltbf »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 24 / August / 2014, 18:17:25 »
There are occasional "Auto Mode" shots that produce usable dng files.  I've shot several hundred test files but I cannot determine ANY pattern.
Good to know, this may be different from the usual "raw doesn't work in auto mode" problem.

Please let us know if you see the problem in P mode.

Other things that might be relevant: shooting multiple shots in quick succession, or shooting quickly without waiting for the camera to focus.

Isn't Canon native raw a pain because it's CR2 format must be converted before being usable in Photoshop?
This depends on your preference and what software you have. In general, I would expect it to be easier to get good results with Canon raw, even if you do have to convert it. Software that understands Canon raw will have all the calibration and corrections Canon thinks should be applied. CHDK DNG often requires more work.
Don't forget what the H stands for.