SX100 IS - page 25 - Firmware Dumping - CHDK Forum

SX100 IS

• 276 Replies

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
Re: SX100 IS
« Reply #240 on: 16 / August / 2008, 04:47:42 »
Advertisements
Bugs in kbd.c (int alt_mode_led, KEY_FACE )

Where?

You are the Boss :)
I don't have such camera and cannot test each line of code (for DRYOS cameras this is hard work :))
Now added - Changeset 485 - chdk - Trac

Main problem with SX100IS is unsupported multipartition cards. It would be great if somebody can find error there.

« Reply #241 on: 16 / August / 2008, 08:17:57 »
I have a simple question (well i guess its simple for CHDK workers). Its about image quality.

The thing is, when i shoot with CHDK to take Raw and JPG files. After using DNG for Powershot and converting Raw to DNG, the DNG image is way "worse" (blurry/ not so sharp, colors arent as vivid/ saturated, brightness is "messy", noise is bigger (especially in background)/ there is lots of lost details..) then JPG one.

Now, the question is.. Is that only cause of that JPG file went through compression/ interpolation and all that stuff or is DNG for PS "messing" smthn up? Or maybe CHDK? I seriously doubt its CHDK, but hey... Worth to ask :D
Btw settings in DNG for PS are all set up properly, right camera is chosen etc... So its nothing 'bout settings.
I would upload sample pictures, but bloody imageshack and that kind of stuff resizes images automatically :(

Sorry for long post/ bad english, and thanks in advance for answer (which i dont doubt i'll get :))

Keep up the good work, we all love you <3

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #242 on: 16 / August / 2008, 08:38:12 »
Well, the DNG is still a RAW picutre - you have to process it with a suitable software. (Rawstudio or ufraw on linux, i'm sure theres plenty of software available for windows, though i dont know any - just search with google)

Without adjusting the white balance, contrast, saturation or sharpening, the raw pictures will always look kind of pale and greenish.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #243 on: 16 / August / 2008, 10:54:36 »
ewavr, i havent been able to load the sx100 dumps into IDA - can you tell me which settings you used? and did you use the dumps provided in the wiki? i can load the dumps into IDA, but the adress vbattget doesnt match the one in the stubs file. so i guess i'm doing something wrong with the startadresses, but i already tried 0xFF810000 and 0xFF800000.

edit: managed to load the dumps, thx to the almighty hacki!

« Last Edit: 16 / August / 2008, 12:08:40 by PhyrePhoX »

« Reply #244 on: 16 / August / 2008, 11:58:00 »

Without adjusting the white balance, contrast, saturation or sharpening, the raw pictures will always look kind of pale and greenish.

Ye i know. Im using Camera Raw or Photoline (most of the time Camera Raw). White balance, contrast and stuff arent actually that important to me. Those are easily changed. Biggest issue is detail loss. JPG files seems to have way more details then i can get out of Raw, even after messing around with camera raw/ photoline for 30 mins - hour.

Still, appreciated for answer :)

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #245 on: 16 / August / 2008, 12:02:35 »
Biggest issue is detail loss. JPG files seems to have way more details then i can get out of Raw, even after messing around with camera raw/ photoline for 30 mins - hour.

Reminds me of: Need help getting detail from RAW files

Maybe you can find the answer in this thread.

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #246 on: 16 / August / 2008, 13:21:31 »
The thing is, when i shoot with CHDK to take Raw and JPG files. After using DNG for Powershot and converting Raw to DNG, the DNG image is way "worse" (blurry/ not so sharp, colors arent as vivid/ saturated, brightness is "messy", noise is bigger (especially in background)/ there is lots of lost details..) then JPG one.
Well, the DNG is still a RAW picutre - you have to process it with a suitable software. (Rawstudio or ufraw on linux, i'm sure theres plenty of software available for windows, though i dont know any - just search with google)

Excuse me for butting in, but... DNG is not just RAW, it is RAW without bad pixels + metadata, an important piece of which is the color transfer matrix (camera RGB -> XYZ). If this matrix is correct and corresponds to the lighting conditions the shot was taken under, the resulting colors are correct, too. Now, what is "DNG for Powershot"?  dng4ps2-beta offers three choices of colormatrix for this sensor size, if I remember correctly. Dave Coffin's dcraw (which is used by all other "direct processing" tools) features a colormatrix for this sensor only since version 8.87 released Aug 14, 2008, thus no other soft has picked it up yet. It is also not clear whether all these cameras (ixus950, a720, s5, sx100) that have the same sensor size actually use the same sensor. So, the color reproduction part of the problem is due to incorrect/absent color profile of the camera in the software in question.

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #247 on: 17 / August / 2008, 09:27:00 »
Well, IronMan from russian forum patched SX100IS to support multipartition boot. It seems that's works on 1.00C. Can somebody test this on 1.00B? Patch for 1.00B and 1.00C is attached.

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #248 on: 17 / August / 2008, 09:55:10 »
Code: [Select]
../platform/sx100is/libplatform.a(wrappers.o): In function `swap_partitions':
wrappers.c:(.text+0xbd8): undefined reference to `_WriteSDCard'
../platform/sx100is/libplatform.a(wrappers.o): In function `create_partitions':
wrappers.c:(.text+0xd44): undefined reference to `_WriteSDCard'

Would you be so kind to tell us the address? ;)

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #249 on: 17 / August / 2008, 15:55:10 »
Option #define CAM_MULTIPART works only for VxWorks cameras, for DRYOS multipartition boot code located in boot.c, "create card with two partitions" and "partitions swap" options useless due to abcence of CHDK manual loading method.
However, WriteSDCard for SX100IS:
0xFFCFF4E8 for 1.00B
0xFFCFF51C for 1.00C