G15 CHDK Issue (video) - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

G15 CHDK Issue (video)

• 10 Replies
G15 CHDK Issue (video)
« on: 09 / May / 2013, 23:31:14 »
Advertisements
Hey guys,

I apologize because I'm sure this isn't the right place for this. I've been playing around with CHDK on my G15 and I noticed half my screen begins to blink. After doing some trial and error, it looks to be whenever I hold down shutter lock and an area of over exposure comes into frame. The screen blinks exactly when overexposure is shown on the screen and the zebra mode would be going crazy. I've caught it on video in the link below:

Chdk g15 error

Is there a place I should post this? Is this a known issue? Is there a way to turn off a feature for the time being so this won't happen?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Keep up the awesome work guys!

-Jim

Re: G15 CHDK Issue (video)
« Reply #1 on: 09 / May / 2013, 23:35:03 »
Is there a place I should post this?
Typically, the porting thread for the camera is the best place.
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=9257
But don't bother reposting it.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to turn off a feature for the time being so this won't happen?
Looks like a bug in the Zebra code.   Do you have Zebra enabled in the CHDK menus?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline c10ud

« Reply #2 on: 10 / May / 2013, 06:41:37 »
make sure you're using chdk release 1.2, some issues have been reported with the older version

which brings the question: being chdk an hack, why keep "stable" release branches?

« Reply #3 on: 10 / May / 2013, 08:25:11 »
which brings the question: being chdk an hack, why keep "stable" release branches?
New things go into unstable. 

The stable branch (singular) is frozen at a point in time when most everything in it seems stable and has been released for enough time that its likely all been tried by someone.  So for most people,  stable is a safer bet.

The whole process of when the unstable branch becomes the stable branch changes is pretty arbitrary and is mostly left up to reyalp to decide (with occasional pressure from others).

« Reply #4 on: 10 / May / 2013, 10:33:01 »
Just so I'm clear, the G15 CHDK link says 1.1 is the latest stable version. It lists 1.2 as "unstable". I should still use 1.2 on the G15?

Btw, deactivating zebra mode stuff seemed to fix the blinking issue so it's at least usable. :)

Is it appropriate to post issues with the G15 port on the link you listed above if I find any? On the one hand I don't want to complain because it does what I need it to do (minus the few things you and I talked about yesterday). However,  if I find something I feel like letting the devs know will lead to a better product. Is there protocol for this so that I don't have a black van full of henchmen and thugs sent by chdk devs show up at my door?

« Reply #5 on: 10 / May / 2013, 10:59:46 »
Just so I'm clear, the G15 CHDK link says 1.1 is the latest stable version. It lists 1.2 as "unstable". I should still use 1.2 on the G15?
Not sure there is much difference relative to the zebra problem.  The 1.2 version has a nicer UI.

Btw, deactivating zebra mode stuff seemed to fix the blinking issue so it's at least usable. :)
Good to know - confirms the zebra is probably having problems with video buffer addresses.

Is it appropriate to post issues with the G15 port on the link you listed above if I find any?
The CHDK user group is pretty tolerable of newbies & naive questions.  But the porting thread for each camera is always the best place to post questions & observations related to a particular camera.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 10 / May / 2013, 13:36:42 »
make sure you're using chdk release 1.2, some issues have been reported with the older version

If you know of bugs which exist in the stable branch but not the trunk, please point them out specifically. Telling to people to just use the unstable is not a helpful solution.

Bugs of this sort should be fixed in the stable branch.

edit: I should add that trying the trunk to see if the bug exists there is certainly a reasonable approach.

waterwingz
Note zebra is not normally intended to operate in video mode. It certainly won't work on old cameras that use a different live view layout in video mode. It would be nice if it *did* work in video mode, but that's another story...
« Last Edit: 10 / May / 2013, 16:53:43 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 10 / May / 2013, 16:40:09 »
waterwingz : Note zebra is not normally intended to operate in video mode. It certainly won't work on old cameras that use a different live view layout in video mode. It would be nice if it *did* work in video mode, but that's another story...
@reyalp : Now I'm confused.   I ran and reran his video of the LCD from his camera and it looks like what he is showing is the normal screen in "shooting mode".  Nothing to do with video.   So I assumed the zebra problem was with normal still shooting.   

I assume you were thinking "video" because the thread topic says (video)?  And I just assumed he meant there is a video of the problem.

So is the problem with zebra in normal shooting mode?  Or with attempting to do zebra in video?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 10 / May / 2013, 16:54:32 »
I assume you were thinking "video" because the thread topic says (video)?  And I just assumed he meant there is a video of the problem.
So is the problem with zebra in normal shooting mode?  Or with attempting to do zebra in video?
Oops, my bad. I somehow got in my head the video was in video mode, I expect you are right. (edit: in fact you can see it's in still mode on the OSD)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 10 / May / 2013, 20:20:44 »
To clear things up, I intended the topic to mean "I have an error (with a video showing the issue)"  Sorry for the confusion. Yes I was in M mode and the screen gets all messed up when zebra mode kicks in to show an overexposed area on the screen.