• 83 Replies

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Motion detection birds shots
« on: 11 / April / 2008, 09:03:19 »
Advertisements
Hej,
It's a thread about shooting birds using motion detection. I used my A540 back then, never used motion detection with any other camera.
These are old shots I have reuploaded in 2021, the links in the threads were all dead, just can't put the right picture where it belongs.

« Last Edit: 27 / November / 2021, 05:39:44 by yvesson »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Motion detection birds shots
« Reply #1 on: 11 / April / 2008, 09:27:26 »
beautiful :)

« Reply #2 on: 11 / April / 2008, 17:16:40 »
Can you explain just a little on what you did?

I'm looking for a method similar that I use on my Pentax DSLR as a "Focus Trap"

Manual set the focus distance and wait for an object to come in the focus range. Take the picture.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #3 on: 11 / April / 2008, 17:28:53 »
Hej,
Well sorry I was kinda too happy so I didn't put on any explanation...
I just put some old bread with the camera in auto mode with flash disabled and macro mode enabled, cam being around 20cm from the bread.
So I started the motion detection script :
threshold : 10
delay : 5
Didn't change any other setting from the script.

So this is mostly the script which did the trick, I hadn't to set much things, tested the script with my hand.
Of course I set the power saving from the camera off, and the LCD off with CHDK set to "script".

So I don't think anything I did is usable with a DSLR.

The only trick is not to be there for the bird gets close to the cam without flying away, so the cam must work by itself. ^^

« Reply #4 on: 11 / April / 2008, 17:56:16 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:24:57 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #5 on: 11 / April / 2008, 17:59:54 »
Hej,
The only thing I will try and improve next time is to limit the shots taken without birds (must be a bit too sensible atm).

« Reply #6 on: 11 / April / 2008, 18:27:44 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:25:18 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #7 on: 11 / April / 2008, 23:11:11 »
thax

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #8 on: 12 / April / 2008, 04:12:20 »
You could also use a mask to disable detection in the area where there is motion you don't want to detect. In your examples that would probably be the top left corner with plants moving in the wind.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #9 on: 12 / April / 2008, 04:27:13 »
Hej,
Well thanks for the tips. There are also a lot of flies there, not sure if they can make my camera shoot though.
This is not a that big issue though, cause I don't let the camera there for so long, I'm too eager to check if there are birds shots, and if my settings were okej. ^^
Now it's there closer from the bread at forced F8.0. I also increased a bit the threshold to 15.