Multi partition support A590 IS - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Multi partition support A590 IS

• 29 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: Multi partition support A590 IS
« Reply #20 on: 24 / March / 2009, 04:43:40 »
Advertisements
@fe50

Edited your Wiki page here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/Installing_with_Cardtricks

by removing remarks about DryOS not being able to do 'firm update'

cheers,

wim

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #21 on: 24 / March / 2009, 04:56:34 »

Edited your Wiki page here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK/Installing_with_Cardtricks by removing remarks about DryOS not being able to do 'firm update'

Thx wim !
We have also to review the whole wikia & "patch" it to reflect the latest development (PS.FI2)...

« Reply #22 on: 24 / March / 2009, 11:38:04 »
The A590 don't support SD-card multipartitioning yet.

Well, back on the first page of this thread, it looked like some of the Mac users had gotten multiple partitions to work on the A590.  So I may give it a try with an old SD card and see what happens.  It looks like SDM is the way to go for doing the multi-partioning and partition switching, for Windows at least.

« Reply #23 on: 27 / March / 2009, 00:29:09 »
The A590 don't support SD-card multipartitioning yet.
Yes it does as long as the boot partition is FAT12 or FAT16.

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #24 on: 27 / March / 2009, 07:38:31 »
In camera.h CAM_MULTIPART is not defined; the SDHC / multipartition support is still working (coded in boot.c),
but without CAM_MULTIPART the "create card with two partitions" & "swap partitions" CHDK menu items will not be available.
The automatic partition swapping (booting from the small FAT12/FAT16 partition & then swapping to the "big" one & store the images there) is only a part of the whole thing  ;)

I don't see the Swap Partitions option on my camera.  But even if it were there, I don't see how that would work.

(as said later - start CHDK with the manual method from the FAT32 partition)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #25 on: 31 / March / 2009, 16:39:51 »
so should i just define multipart or not?

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #26 on: 31 / March / 2009, 17:01:06 »
so should i just define multipart or not?

If multipartition boot is really works on this camera (I'm not quite sure of this), for full multipartition support for DRYOS cameras:
 - define WriteSDCard() address in stubs_entry_2.S
 - add this code before Dataghost's code (see SX10 and SX100 code for example):
Code: [Select]
"MOV   R1, R4\n"           //  pointer to MBR in R1
"BL    mbr_read_dryos\n"   //  total sectors count in R0 before and after call

- define CAM_MULTIPART in camera.h
« Last Edit: 31 / March / 2009, 17:03:10 by ewavr »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #27 on: 31 / March / 2009, 21:40:33 »
hm. okay. so we need verification first, that autoboot works from a multipartition card.
a590 users, please report. (you have to create the card via the computer of course).

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #28 on: 01 / April / 2009, 02:16:33 »
hm. okay. so we need verification first, that autoboot works from a multipartition card.
a590 users, please report. (you have to create the card via the computer of course).

...should work:
I was successful making my 8Gb card bootable and store my photos on the correct partition, the camera works perfectly with iPhoto08 (yes, another MAC user).
Thanks pepem, your method works perfectly for me, too!
15+GB free space recognized!
This method works very well. Thank you.
..Cheers..

« Reply #29 on: 01 / April / 2009, 04:17:44 »
pepem's method works perfectly with my 8GB SDHC card.  I think the confusion for us newbies is that while dual partitions are supported on the A590, you cannot swap partitions or creat dual partitions from within CHDK on the camera.  The absense of these options on the CHDK menu had lead me to assume that dual partitons were not supported when in fact they are.  The camera will boot from the smaller partition and then write to the larger fat32 partition, however you need to use an external app such as the SDM installer to create and swap the partitions.  I don't know if it matters, but I allowed windows to format the fat32 partition so that I could set the cluster size to 32k - the format option in the SDM Installer defaults to 4k for my 8GB card.

Thanks for everyones effort!!!!

[UPDATED] I forgot to add some steps, sorry for that

Hi there,

I was successful making my 8Gb card bootable and store my photos on the correct partition, the camera works perfectly with iPhoto08 (yes, another MAC user).

I found myself forced to work on windows as none of the MAC solutions seemed to work for me, so using a Nikon D80 as a sdhc card reader :-)  and working on windows xp with vmware this is what I did:

1. Start the SDM installer (last version: 1.75) and choose the card
2. Make two partitions with the option of the installer, this makes a small 2Mb partition (Fat12) and makes the rest of the card a FAT32 partition.
3. Press the "format" button, and the "make bootable" I think in that order, but not sure.
4. In windows explorer open the card and put the CHDK files there
5. Whithout closing SDM (not important I guess but thats what I did) press "swap partitions"
6. Now hit the "format" button again, as this time it will format the bigger partition
7. A command promt window will appear with information about the process, then you'll have to enter a name, I'm not sure if the name is important for the partition, but just in case I used "CANON_DC" as the camera does when formats a card.
8. Put the CHDK folder in this partition.
9. With SDM swap again the partitions in order to make the primary partition the small one and put there the DISKBOOT.BIN and vers.req files.
10. Close everything
11. Put the card in your camera (remember to "lock" the card with the slider)
12. It works!!! (At least for me)

My camera is the mighty 590 (I love it!!), SDM installer ver. 1.75, CHDK: a590-101b-0.9.1-678-full, with Windows XP Pro SP3 over vmware, The card reader I used... a Nikon D80. I tried to do the same on a Windows Vista PC, with built-in card reader but SDM software wasn't able to make the partitions (nothing happened).

I think thats all.

Please excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker, and my explanations as I'm quite a newbie with this camera and all chdk stuff (1 week with the camera , and this afternoon to make my 1 hour new 8Gb card)

P.S. Thanks a lot to the developers for such a great work!!!
« Last Edit: 01 / April / 2009, 04:19:19 by rotter »