rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering - page 21 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering

• 207 Replies
Re: rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering
« Reply #200 on: 09 / February / 2023, 13:49:51 »
Advertisements
Found the rom.log

Offline reyalp

« Reply #201 on: 09 / February / 2023, 13:52:01 »
Found the rom.log
Hmm, if the clock on the camera is set correctly, the most recent crash is in 2021
Code: [Select]
ASSERT!! CaptureAKBAD.c Line 537
Occured Time  2021:07:11 22:00:34
That suggests a script error.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #202 on: 09 / February / 2023, 13:55:48 »
Can confirm that the time was set correctly.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #203 on: 09 / February / 2023, 14:15:37 »
Can confirm that the time was set correctly.
OK, that strongly points to a script error. Since this is on the new version of the script, there's a good chance it's a bug, so if we don't track it down before your shoot, you might want to stick to the old version.

You can try to reproduce it using the same settings and (if possible) similar scene, and then check the console for script errors without shutting down.

You can also make the log save after every shot, which might narrow down the conditions when the error occurs, but this will likely reduce shooting right, and could potentially affect whatever was triggering the bug in the first place. To do this,  remove the initial -- from the line (around line 1811, under log = xsvlog.new)
-- buffer_mode='sync', -- for crash debugging, save every line
so it looks like
buffer_mode='sync', -- for crash debugging, save every line

That said, I'd suggest trying to reproduce without doing that first, since I suspect the console error will be more informative.

Camera was being run on an extrenal power supply.
While I suspect this is a script bug, one thing that is notable is that your previous runs were rock solid at 4.769 volts, while this one was bouncing around between 4.4 and 4.7. Was it the same powerbank based power supply, or something different?

I also see a partial run at the start of the log, which starts at 4.769 and then drops slightly.

If it's the same supply, that might be worth investigating. A powerbank will likely try to provide a fixed voltage until it's low, and then cut off, so the script (and Canon firmware) low batter detection would not function. Also, if the Canon firmware thinks it's on external power, the Canon low battery logic may be disabled in any case (I'm not sure if cameras like sx520 detect external power specifically, some cameras do.)
« Last Edit: 09 / February / 2023, 16:25:57 by reyalp »

« Reply #204 on: 09 / February / 2023, 14:52:24 »
I can do some more experiments when I get off the plane in Auckland on Sunday and I will try the detailed logging.
I was using a different power bank to the one I used previously (10 Ah instead of 20), as I wanted to see how long it would run for. The 20 is much newer and possibly better technology (it can switch voltage by recognising what the source wants), but it ran for 26 hours and was only half-empty at the end. The one I used last night was also not used up completely - again half-empty, but it is 4+ years old.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #205 on: 09 / February / 2023, 16:23:10 »
I can do some more experiments when I get off the plane in Auckland on Sunday and I will try the detailed logging.
Note the change I suggested isn't more detailed per se, it just ensures that the values up to (but almost certainly not including) the shot cycle that crashed will be saved to the file. So it might provide additional clues but it's unlikely to point directly to the cause.

I was using a different power bank to the one I used previously (10 Ah instead of 20), as I wanted to see how long it would run for. The 20 is much newer and possibly better technology (it can switch voltage by recognising what the source wants), but it ran for 26 hours and was only half-empty at the end. The one I used last night was also not used up completely - again half-empty, but it is 4+ years old.
That would explain the voltage difference. My first guess would still be a script error but these cameras can draw quite a lot of current, so it's conceivable the older pack wasn't quite up to it once the battery dropped below some level of charge.

If the power supply cuts out suddenly, I'd expect you to find the camera off with the lens extended. Note this can also lead to filesystem corruption, so checking the card in a PC before the next run is a good idea.

And again, if we haven't found the cause before your shoot, I'd definitely suggest using the configuration you used on those long test runs, with the old script and the 20 Ah supply.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #206 on: 09 / February / 2023, 23:09:59 »
OK, that strongly points to a script error. Since this is on the new version of the script, there's a good chance it's a bug, so if we don't track it down before your shoot, you might want to stick to the old version.

Where is the download for rawopint v:0.26-dev?

The build is from sx520hs-100b-1.5.1-5783 Mar 14 2021
« Last Edit: 09 / February / 2023, 23:11:39 by c_joerg »
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline reyalp

« Reply #207 on: 09 / February / 2023, 23:13:46 »
Where is the download for rawopint v:0.26-dev?
https://github.com/reyalpchdk/chdkscripts development build download link