rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering - page 7 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering

• 207 Replies

Offline c_joerg

Re: rawopint.lua: Fast, accurate intervalometer with raw exposure metering
« Reply #60 on: 22 / March / 2018, 06:43:10 »
Advertisements
Additionally I had a chance to test a EOS M3 from a friend.

Take care about continuous mode of M3. The camera limits this mode to 1000 shoots!

Ev shift of -1/4

I would not do that at sunsets. I always limit overexposure. A negative shift can also be done in post processing.

Bv Ev shift of 25% was too much, too.

Even with this parameter I have always been wrong. I only do that in post processing

I’m wondering the interval was set to 20s but delta between shoots is 15s…
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136329431@N06/albums
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

« Reply #61 on: 22 / March / 2018, 10:53:38 »
Take care about continuous mode of M3. The camera limits this mode to 1000 shoots!

Thank you for that hint!

I would not do that at sunsets. I always limit overexposure. A negative shift can also be done in post processing.

I agree! But I mixed + and -  ::)

I’m wondering the interval was set to 20s but delta between shoots is 15s…

You don't need to wonder. I set the interval to 20s but the shots were triggered by the Genie Mini via USB port. I  used the Genie in a move-shot-move mode and I set the interval there to 15s. And as far as I can see it worked pretty well.

So some more tests regarding the settings have to follow...

« Reply #62 on: 19 / April / 2018, 09:59:59 »
Hi everyone, especially reyalp,

I`m still experimenting with this script. Mainly for sunsets.
What comes next will be hiding the camera and shooting in the evening and during night. I think it might be a good idea to delay the shooting. What I mean is that I start the script and the shooting will start an hour later or so.
I'm not very familiar with programming, but that problem might be easy solvable with a sleep-routine that I found that routine in another script (YASS 4), but rawopint is rather complex and I don't know where I should place the delay-code. Can anyone give me some hints where to place it best?

Thanks ahead

Offline reyalp

« Reply #63 on: 19 / April / 2018, 14:55:30 »
What comes next will be hiding the camera and shooting in the evening and during night. I think it might be a good idea to delay the shooting. What I mean is that I start the script and the shooting will start an hour later or so.
I have recently been working on similar functionality for fixidint.lua. I still need to finish a few things, but I'll probably integrate it into rawopint as well when it's done.
I'm not very familiar with programming, but that problem might be easy solvable with a sleep-routine that I found that routine in another script (YASS 4), but rawopint is rather complex and I don't know where I should place the delay-code. Can anyone give me some hints where to place it best?
If you want to keep it really simple, putting it at the start (i.e. just above rawpoint_version) should be OK. Assuming you want to add a menu option, it needs to added to the section above with the # lines, like
Code: [Select]
#ui_wait_minutes=0 "Minutes to wait"
... license stuff etc...
]]
sleep(ui_minutes*60*1000)

rawopint_version="0.24"
This just gives you a number of minutes to delay from when you started the script. If you want to start at a particular clock time, you need more complicated code.

If battery life is a concern, you might want to stay in playback mode or allow the Canon firmware to shut off the screen and sensor while waiting, which could be a little more complicated.

The script will switch to rec mode if you start in playback, but you'd lose control of zoom and focus, and the LCD would still be on.
A better approach would probably be to use the Canon firmware power saving mode functionality. To do use  this, in the Canon menu power saving section:
Set "Auto Power Down" to "OFF" and "Display Off" to some reasonable time.
In the CHDK menu, under CHDK settings, set "Disable LCD Off" to "never".

Now you should be able to set up the camera in rec mode, with your focus, zoom etc and set, start the script, and have the sensor and display stay off until the first half press. You should test this before hand. On some very old cameras, the display going turns of MF.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #64 on: 20 / April / 2018, 02:06:59 »
Mainly for sunsets.
I would like to give something else to consider:
If you turn the camera on before sunset, the sun is usually even more intense. I would not put the camera in the sun without a lens cap for a long time. For cameras with ND filter, I would always activate.
In sunrises usually the problem of condensation occurs.

If battery life is a concern, you might want to stay in playback mode or allow the Canon firmware to shut off the screen and sensor while waiting, which could be a little more complicated.

I would definitely put the camera in the playback mode, but I'm not sure if the sun does not come on the sensor. Presumably, then the aperture is full open.

The script will switch to rec mode if you start in playback, but you'd lose control of zoom and focus, and the LCD would still be on.

I already noticed that…
M100 100a, M3 121a, G9x II (1.00c), 2*G1x (101a,100e), S110 (103a), SX50 (100c), SX230 (101a), S45,
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTH0tHy9OYTVDzWIvXEMlw/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

Offline reyalp

« Reply #65 on: 20 / April / 2018, 14:40:33 »
If you turn the camera on before sunset, the sun is usually even more intense. I would not put the camera in the sun without a lens cap for a long time. For cameras with ND filter, I would always activate.
I would definitely put the camera in the playback mode, but I'm not sure if the sun does not come on the sensor. Presumably, then the aperture is full open.
I'm quite sure the edit P&S cameras close the mechanical shutter when they are in sensor-off power saving mode or playback. The shutter might get quite hot, but it should be somewhat outside the focal point at least.
« Last Edit: 20 / April / 2018, 16:12:20 by reyalp »

Offline c_joerg

« Reply #66 on: 20 / April / 2018, 15:02:00 »
I'm quite sure the cameras close the mechanical shutter when they are in sensor-off power saving mode or playback.
Sure?
Not on my M3. The Senor is always visible. With a manual lens I can see the senor. Aperture is closed to minimum with EF lens. I looks like that same on G1x but I’m not sure.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #67 on: 20 / April / 2018, 16:11:49 »
Sure?
Not on my M3. The Senor is always visible. With a manual lens I can see the senor. Aperture is closed to minimum with EF lens. I looks like that same on G1x but I’m not sure.
Good point, I have only looked at P&S, which generally have a simple leaf shutter. I'm not surprised EOS is different.

On all my P&S, there's a click which sounds like the shutter when the display turns off. On the cameras I checked (eph130, sx160, sx710 and g7x) the entire aperture is matte black when the sensor is off. When it's on, there's an additional glassy surface (presumably the IR cut filter) visible further behind the aperture.

« Reply #68 on: 23 / April / 2018, 13:08:30 »
Hi, first I want to say thanks for the simple solution for a time delay! It is working pretty well. At least at home. I didn't test outside it till now.

Sure?

I can confirm that, too. The shutter is always open with manual lenses as well as with EF lenses. That's one reason why I didn't tested it in a sunset till now.

Offline reyalp

Version 0.25 uploaded to the first post.

This adds options to set a start time on the camera clock and set initial focus and zoom from the script. The camera can wait in playback mode until the specified time.

It also has a workaround for the issue reported by c_joerg in https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13191.msg137008#msg137008 where aperture would be changed on cameras with incorrect ND definition, even if ND control threshold was disabled.

I have also added a "glue" script to chdkptp svn which allows tethered shooting with chdkptp remoteshoot. See here https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13386.msg136688#msg136688 for details, and thanks Bluestone_7 for the suggestion.