Zoom for MF etc (was Re: SX60HS Porting) - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Zoom for MF etc (was Re: SX60HS Porting)

• 23 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Zoom for MF etc (was Re: SX60HS Porting)
« Reply #20 on: 28 / December / 2017, 18:15:07 »
Advertisements
I'm confused now because I thought S80 had a standalone MF button like S2 etc. It has KBD_ZOOM_FOR_MF_USE_MF_KEY which IMHO only makes sense for the those cams.
KBD_ZOOM_FOR_MF_USE_MF_KEY is a mistake, likely coming from the original port (and has not been cleaned up).
previous discussion
:-[ Very nice of me not noticing...
Since this is also usable, no CHDK workaround is needed.
No workaround needed = no need to support CAM_USE_ZOOM_FOR_MF ?
No need for CAM_USE_ZOOM_FOR_MF there, in my opinion. I found the scrollwheel/jogdial the more comfortable way of adjusting focus - a wheel is something that was missing badly on those old Sx IS models.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #21 on: 29 / December / 2017, 18:29:49 »
KBD_ZOOM_FOR_MF_USE_MF_KEY is a mistake, likely coming from the original port (and has not been cleaned up).
Thanks for confirming, I've removed it and undefined CAM_USE_ZOOM_FOR_MF

No workaround needed = no need to support CAM_USE_ZOOM_FOR_MF ?
No need for CAM_USE_ZOOM_FOR_MF there, in my opinion. I found the scrollwheel/jogdial the more comfortable way of adjusting focus - a wheel is something that was missing badly on those old Sx IS models.
AFAIK most cams with a jogdial let you adjust MF with it, so if we take this position there's a lot less modern cams where ZOOM_FOR_MF support is needed. I think in recent years most cams that support MF also have a jogdial (though there are probably exceptions)

OTOH, liero asked for it on SX60, which has a jogdial. I think if it worked well, zoom would be more ergonomic than jogdial, since using the jogdial while keeping a one handed grip is a lot harder on most cams. Edit: oops, I forgot SX60 has a front dial, not a normal jogdial....

The jogdial can also be less convenient for big changes: If you hold the key, focus changes more quickly, while with the jogdial you have to spin a lot.
« Last Edit: 30 / December / 2017, 15:14:24 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #22 on: 30 / December / 2017, 14:44:23 »
AFAIK most cams with a jogdial let you adjust MF with it
OTOH, liero asked for it on SX60, which has a jogdial
I remembered otherwise and just re-checked 2 relatively recent cams, using their manuals. The SX60 and SX520/530 models do have a "front dial" (small wheel behind the shutter button). Yet, it can not be used to adjust focus. My impression is that Canon's UI guidelines do not allow using that kind of wheel for focus adjustment.
The jogdial can also be less convenient for big changes: If you hold the key, focus changes more quickly, while with the jogdial you have to spin a lot.
That's true for ranges with lots of focus positions (zoomed in, at the near end).
I'm okay if the "jogdial adjusts focus" cams keep their CAM_USE_ZOOM_FOR_MF status as it is - it doesn't hurt and somebody might use it.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #23 on: 30 / December / 2017, 15:20:00 »
The SX60 and SX520/530 models do have a "front dial" (small wheel behind the shutter button). Yet, it can not be used to adjust focus. My impression is that Canon's UI guidelines do not allow using that kind of wheel for focus adjustment.
You're right, of course. I totally forgot about those. Looking at picture I'm not sure how convenient it would be, but it might be possible to translate clicks on that wheel to regular jogdial events. IIRC some cameras without a jogdial still respond to wheel_left/wheel_right
Don't forget what the H stands for.