Quick question about bad pixel removal. - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Quick question about bad pixel removal.

• 3 Replies

Offline dennisfox74

• Canon A550, Canon SX10-IS
Quick question about bad pixel removal.
« on: 22 / February / 2009, 07:07:48 »
Advertisements
Hey all, I've been using CHDK for about 1 month now on my Canon A550.  Great stuff, and I love being able to shoot raw on my pocket camera.  but, sometimes I don't need that much detail, or just want to bang out jpg's. 

So, here's my deal.  I've got a couple stuck pixels on my A550, and I noticed that running the bad pixel removal script that came with CHDK takes them out of the .DNGs that my camera makes, but the JPGs I shoot still have them in them.  Does that only "fix" the dead / stuck pixels in RAW / DNG images, or is it supposed to take them out of JPGs too, and I'm just missing something? 

Thanks for your time. :)
Photography is the art, of making a fraction of a second, last forever.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Quick question about bad pixel removal.
« Reply #1 on: 22 / February / 2009, 07:20:50 »
Hello & welcome, dennisfox74 !

There's a method for badpixels known by the Canon firmware (you've used it already, for DNG file creation) and another one for general badpixels not known by the Canon firmware, this one is also for JPEG files...

See more informations about the 2 different badpixel removal methods here: CHDK wikia - Badpixel removal.

Offline dennisfox74

« Reply #2 on: 23 / February / 2009, 11:25:17 »
Ahh, okay, I saw that before but didn't catch where the badpixel file came from.  I'll have to delete the badipxel.bin file off one of my memory cards, (as it will keep the raw from showing bad pixels) shoot some dark frames, then run show_bad_pixel on 'em and put the resulting badpixel flie on all the cards I use in this camera. (I think that's how it would go correct?)  Then rerun badpixel.lua to make the badpixel.bin file to use with .DNG format. 

Getting these bad pixels masked on my little A550 will really give it a new lease on life.  It's been a great camera, and I couldn't see just casting it aside if there was a simple way to get it back in shooting shape again. :)  I love my SX10-IS, but this one is a lot easier to carry around for just everyday shooting. 

Thanks for the clue. :)  I really like this software, and after getting off the phone with Canon this morning and finding out that the likelihood of them supporting RAW on the SX10-IS is pretty low, (reed that as nonexistent), I'm really looking forward to seeing CHDK come out for that camera in the future. 

Offline dennisfox74

« Reply #3 on: 24 / February / 2009, 05:02:14 »
Okay, that procedure worked, but I had to do things a little different than what it said in the Wiki.  I couldn't get it to work with a dark frame (no lens cap on the A550, so I just shot it with the lens covered.  It just wouldn't kick out the two bad pixels I could see.  So what I had to do just shoot a photo of something in my room, (actually, just a wall.)  and use a much higher number than the suggested 128 to get the pixel out.  In my case, I had to set the X value to 970.  But, it worked. :)