Windows 10 now supports viewing multi-partitions USB devices - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Windows 10 now supports viewing multi-partitions USB devices

• 20 Replies
« on: 13 / April / 2017, 23:19:57 »
Advertisements
Finally, something useful for older cameras that need to use dual partition schemes to run CHDK on SD cards larger than 4G. 

link > Windows 10 Creators Update Allows Multiple Partitions USB Drive
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: Windows 10 now supports viewing multi-partitions USB devices
« Reply #1 on: 18 / June / 2017, 15:30:32 »
I regret to inform you that I tried a dual-partition card formatted by CHIMP on my notebook (Asus U31) running Redstone 2, and neither partition was visible.
Author of CHIMP, Canon Hack Installation and Management Platform

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #2 on: 18 / June / 2017, 17:03:49 »
Works for me with a manual dual partition CHDK installation for the A720.

But CHIMP seems only handle the first partition. A CHDK update installation with CHIMP is not possible. This would be a nice feature.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #3 on: 18 / June / 2017, 17:19:24 »
I regret to inform you that I tried a dual-partition card formatted by CHIMP on my notebook (Asus U31) running Redstone 2, and neither partition was visible.
Works for me with a manual dual partition CHDK installation for the A720. But CHIMP seems only handle the first partition. A CHDK update installation with CHIMP is not possible. This would be a nice feature.
Sorry to hear CHIMP is having trouble creating a valid dual partition card.

Just to be sure Win10 works as the article I posted promises,  I tested on my Win10 machine (upgraded online for Win7 last year).  Works just fine! 

I'm using a 4G SD card (that's all I had handy for my old A560) configured with a 10M FAT16 small partition and 3.8G FAT32 large partition using Linux Manual Method #4 (which turned out to be way easier than I remembered!).

« Reply #4 on: 18 / June / 2017, 22:13:52 »
But CHIMP seems only handle the first partition. A CHDK update installation with CHIMP is not possible. This would be a nice feature.

Could you be a little more specific? Are you using the latest version of CHIMP on Windows 10?

If you believe you have found a bug, please create an issue per instructions.

Thanks

« Reply #5 on: 18 / June / 2017, 22:17:55 »

Nice try :D

Linux Manual Method #4 (which turned out to be way easier than I remembered!).

BTW have you tried running CHIMP under Wine?

« Reply #6 on: 18 / June / 2017, 23:24:55 »
Nice try :D
Huh?  I've spent way too may posts helping people try to install CHDK.  Not sure what your problem is here but I was sincere with my comment.

Linux Manual Method #4 (which turned out to be way easier than I remembered!).
BTW have you tried running CHIMP under Wine?
Yes. It died right away not finding a whole slew of libraries that were apparently needed.  I suspect that can be fixed but it doesn't exactly " just work" and will take some effort to get working.
« Last Edit: 18 / June / 2017, 23:27:58 by waterwingz »

« Reply #7 on: 18 / June / 2017, 23:56:38 »
Huh?  I've spent way too may posts helping people try to install CHDK.  Not sure what your problem is here but I was sincere with my comment.

I apologize if I have somehow offended you, but that comment being addressed to a guy with a CHIMP avatar and an "Author of CHIMP" signature sounded a lot like trolling.

Yes. It died right away not finding a whole slew of libraries that were apparently needed.  I suspect that can be fixed but it doesn't exactly " just work" and will take some effort to get working.

That's probably .NET 4.5.2 that you neglected to install, which is only a couple of clicks from "just works"...

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #8 on: 19 / June / 2017, 03:49:33 »

Could you be a little more specific? Are you using the latest version of CHIMP on Windows 10?
My test was with an older version same days ago (0.4 or 0.5). CHIMP saw both partitions on the sd card, but CHDK was only installed on the first partition.  I will try the latest version. Then I will try give you more and better test result.

But at the moment I am on vacation.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #9 on: 19 / June / 2017, 07:31:56 »
My test was with an older version same days ago (0.4 or 0.5). CHIMP saw both partitions on the sd card, but CHDK was only installed on the first partition.  I will try the latest version. Then I will try give you more and better test result.

I see. You have two FAT32 partitions with CHDK installed on both. That should be supported with more recent versions0.9.2 via the Switch partitions action (which currently requires CHIMP to be re-run).

Enjoy your vacation!

P.S. Would anyone over at CHDK-DE be willing to translate CHIMP?

Edit: I was wrong, that would bring about quite nasty consequences. See my next post.
Edit 2: Fixed in 0.9.2
« Last Edit: 19 / June / 2017, 13:04:13 by dmitrys »