'Ideal world' camera for CHDK - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

'Ideal world' camera for CHDK

• 7 Replies
'Ideal world' camera for CHDK
« on: 23 / November / 2009, 04:36:52 »
Advertisements
First off, may I thank all those involved for a FANTASTIC product - I'm spent many an hour 'playing' with my CHDK port (A620)

Here's my situation:I'm a pilot (paragliders/Paramotors and model aircraft) and I want to take some stereo images. I'm up to speed with all the docs and ports.

Here's my question: I'm going to need a second camera. Which camera has the most success with CHDK? I'll be shooting with wide angle mostly (because of vibration / shutter speed issues)

Thanks again
Nigel

Offline RaduP

Re: 'Ideal world' camera for CHDK
« Reply #1 on: 24 / November / 2009, 13:48:13 »
Well, if you want wide angle, there are not that many choices. The widest angle P&S camera is the SD980 (22mm wide in RAW mode, 24mm in jpg).
I have a beta CHDK implementation for the SD980 firmware 1.0.0c (however there are some new versions not supported yet).

Also take a look at SDM, it is a spin-off CHDK special for stereo photography (the SD980 is not supported by it yet).

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #2 on: 24 / November / 2009, 14:32:29 »
Hej,
22mm in raw and 24mm in jpg ? Havn't read about that anywhere. How is this possible ?

Offline RaduP

« Reply #3 on: 24 / November / 2009, 14:46:17 »
Well, the true lens is 22mm, but the camera does some distortion correction and crops the borders, then upscales the image to 12MP.
For example:
24_mm_sd980_jpg (JPG)
24_mm_sd980_raw (RAW)

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #4 on: 24 / November / 2009, 15:55:33 »
Hej,
Hmm can't see the point having 22mm like that. I prefer making a panorama with 35mm. :p

Anyway, to stay on topic, he doesn't mean he wants a very wide angle, but just that he doesn't need much zoom ? And he better have a fast lens at wide angle ?

Offline RaduP

« Reply #5 on: 24 / November / 2009, 15:57:46 »
Well, the idea is that if you do your own distortion correction and change the aspect ration from 4/3 to 3/2 by cropping the top and bottom, you get this: 24 mm RAW corrected

« Reply #6 on: 24 / November / 2009, 16:37:28 »
OK, thanks for the interest but we wandering off the topic here.

I'm looking for some recommendations of which camera(s) I should buy. Ones which have the full support / success with CHDK

Cheers

Offline RaduP

« Reply #7 on: 24 / November / 2009, 17:14:12 »
Well, most if not all of the other fully supported cameras start at 36mm, not sure if it is wide enough for you. If it is, look here for the supported cameras and more info: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

And if you want a second camera for your stereo stuff, then it has to be the same with your first camera, or else it won't work really well.