Running off charger and time lapse on SD30 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Running off charger and time lapse on SD30

• 1 Replies
Running off charger and time lapse on SD30
« on: 24 / April / 2010, 01:51:29 »
Advertisements
Hi guys, just discovered the world of CHDK and it's been smooth sailing so far.
I want to do some time lapse stuff at an event I'm going to.

The camera came with a charger dock to charge the internal battery. When the camera is placed on the dock (which has a TV out), it defaults to view mode. As far as I can tell, Canon never meant for the camera to run while on the dock.

Is there a way to use the dock as a power supply so I can do a really long time lapse?

Also, the display doesn't seem to shut off despite me setting the screen to go off after 1 minute and disabling the Screen Off override in the ALT OSD. That would really drain power if I left it like that.

Finally, the camera seems to autofocus on every shot, but I think it's just because it doesn't have a true manual mode, but any advice in creating a good sequence of shots? I've already locked down ISO, set the white balance off auto and zoomed all the way out.

I'm using the Ultra Intervalometer script by the way.

(Edit again) I've read some who exit ALT mode, turn off the display, then reenter alt mode to execute the script and it will somehow keep the display off. The SD30 has no display off button (because it has no viewfinder?). I've tried waiting until it powers down after the set time, then re-enter ALT, but it re-engages the screen for the first shot. ARGH.
« Last Edit: 24 / April / 2010, 02:34:20 by ChaoZ »

Offline reyalp

Re: Running off charger and time lapse on SD30
« Reply #1 on: 24 / April / 2010, 21:43:30 »
Hi guys, just discovered the world of CHDK and it's been smooth sailing so far.
I want to do some time lapse stuff at an event I'm going to.

The camera came with a charger dock to charge the internal battery. When the camera is placed on the dock (which has a TV out), it defaults to view mode. As far as I can tell, Canon never meant for the camera to run while on the dock.
Maybe, you can try forcing rec mode from script while it is docked. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage/MoreBest#set_record.28state.29

Note, the "mode map" on this camera is incorrect. With your help, we can fix this. See here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3828.msg35931.html#msg35931 for instructions.

Is there a way to use the dock as a power supply so I can do a really long time lapse?
Unknown, most of these cameras don't have docks. Most will shoot on external power.

Also, the display doesn't seem to shut off despite me setting the screen to go off after 1 minute and disabling the Screen Off override in the ALT OSD. That would really drain power if I left it like that.
There are three values for this setting, "ALT", "SCRIPT" and "NO". You want "NO". If that doesn't work, maybe there's something wrong with this port. This is one of the very old cameras that's a bit different from the rest.
Finally, the camera seems to autofocus on every shot, but I think it's just because it doesn't have a true manual mode
Going by the manual, this camera does not appear to have the AF lock feature present in most, so you are probably stuck with AF each frame.
Don't forget what the H stands for.