OSD Changes Cause Boot Failure or Early Crash - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

OSD Changes Cause Boot Failure or Early Crash

• 4 Replies
OSD Changes Cause Boot Failure or Early Crash
« on: 09 / September / 2012, 20:12:39 »
Advertisements
I've found that certain changes I make to the OSD can cause a boot failure or a crash (camera shut down) as soon as the OSD is displayed.

For example, moving the battery percentage display to the top of the screen causes a camera boot failure, the only remedy for which is to delete /CANON_DC/CHDK/CCHDK2.CFG and start over.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known problem?

Is there any reference showing which OSD modifications are permissible with this camera model?

Offline reyalp

Re: OSD Changes Cause Boot Failure or Early Crash
« Reply #1 on: 09 / September / 2012, 20:47:00 »
Editing the OSD shouldn't make the camera crash. What CHDK build are you using ?

It's possible that having some OSD element off the edge of the screen could cause problems, but I believe the drawing functions try to protect against this.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 09 / September / 2012, 22:20:11 »
I'm using 1.1.0-2134 (rev 0 − 8 SEP 2012).

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 10 / September / 2012, 00:31:46 »
If you can post an example of a cfg file that triggers the crash, that might be helpful.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 10 / September / 2012, 01:15:49 »
OK. I will keep fiddling. At the moment I have found OSD settings that work for me and don't cause a crash. Not ideal, but working.