SD1300 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SD1300

• 11 Replies
SD1300
« on: 05 / July / 2010, 10:54:36 »
Advertisements
I just purchased a Power Shot SD1300 in hopes to use CHDK. Now I find it is not available for the 1300  :(. Will there be one in the near future?

Thank you.

Re: SD1300
« Reply #1 on: 09 / July / 2010, 10:34:25 »
I come from China, Recently bought a Canon ixus105 (sd1300), I want to use to make my camera chdk great, thank you. Do not know about this camera after the chdk whether a hope to get help.

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 09 / July / 2010, 11:32:31 »
There is no CHDK for the SD1300/Ixus105 because, like all the cameras Canon have announced this year, it has not been possible to get a firmware dump. Canon have made changes to the encryption method and until someone finds out how to encode a dumper there will be no CHDK for these new cameras.

A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 10 / July / 2010, 10:10:48 »
Thanks reply, I hope to see this camera CHDK, wish to someone finds out how to encode a dumper.

Re: SD1300 --- "Yo! Joe! Open up! ...or else I'll sell my Canon shares!"
« Reply #4 on: 12 / July / 2010, 15:10:14 »
I wrote a note to the head guy, as follows, and you might want to do the same. I couldn't find an email address, and (of course) he's not on facebook or linkedin, so I guessed as follows and sent out a bunch of them, listed below the letter. You might do the same. You never know; after all, he did change his name to Joe when he came to America, so he might be more accessible than one might guess.

Mr. Yoroku Adachi
President & CEO
Canon USA

Dear Sir,

I recently purchased a PowerShot SD1300 IS digital camera. I want to load onto my camera and use the (far superior) CHDK free software from http://chdk.setepontos.com. They've made versions of it for earlier Canon models, but there is no CHDK for the SD1300/Ixus105 because, like all Canon's new models this year, it has not been possible to get a "firmware dump." Your company has changed your encryption method,  and your cameras are now "closed."

Why is Canon not embracing the wisdom of making its cameras into a "platform"?

Apple has achieved huge shareholder value by making iPod/iPhone/iPad a platform. But let's be realistic; Canon will never have the leverage to build a closed platform with a big App Store. Your viable choices appear to be:

1) Ignore the camera platform opportunity altogether, perhaps out of paranoia about your IP. Yes intellectual property is precious, but it's also rapidly perishable in this fast-moving world.  

2) keep your platform closed, and perhaps pocket a few dollars from a few ISV's who might developing software for your cameras (of standards similar to yours, presumably).

3) open up. Your cameras are great!. But, with respect, your software is mediocre in my opinion. Expert reviewers agree. Opening up might be a low-cost way to improve that situation, but more importantly...

If you "open up," you'll enjoy the loyalty of influential communities of "power users" who will develop, trade and maybe even sell software that  makes the cameras all that they could be. And your company may acquire -- at very low cost -- some novel technology and software talent that I believe you could use.

Camera purchases are largely "influencer-mediated," not "brand-mediated." Yes, there is some brand loyalty, but today Canon competes with similarly-sized brands such as Nikon, each of whom releases dozens of overlapping models.

Most buyers look to expert friends or to online reviews (and not to Ashton Kutcher) when making a final purchasing decision.

Younger buyers -- the ones with the most disposable income -- are particularly skeptical of brands. Ask yourself why the hottest motorcycles e.g. Ducati don't even put logos or names on their bikes (check your parking lot). Influencer-mediated purchases.  

If I were Canon I'd be doing anything I could to keep influencers happy. In digital cameras, that means keeping power users happy.

Please release the firmware information for my SD1300 camera (for my sake). And, please make it a practice to do so with every new camera (for Canon's sake).

Sincerely yours,

(myself)

these were the addresses I dreamed up; we'll see what does or doesn't bounce.

[moderator edit: list of email addresses censored]
« Last Edit: 13 / July / 2010, 01:28:13 by fudgey »

« Reply #5 on: 12 / July / 2010, 16:18:53 »
The winner is [moderator edit: email address censored], at least in that every other one bounced but that. Tune in. And, write in.
« Last Edit: 13 / July / 2010, 01:27:23 by fudgey »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 13 / July / 2010, 00:52:48 »
Edit: Let me make this 100% clear
As a CHDK developer, I completely oppose this suggestion and strongly suggest that users do not email canon regarding CHDK
The winner is ----, at least in that every other one bounced but that. Tune in. And, write in.
No. Please, please don't do this.

This is a terrible idea which has the potential to destroy CHDK, and essentially no chance of obtaining the desired result. Spamming Canon executives will not help. Please don't do it.

If Canon is forced to form an official position on CHDK, it will not be good for CHDK or it's users. There is zero chance of that. Even if they wanted to, anything that could be seen as an official endorsement of CHDK would put them in a very difficult position. It's not going to happen.

Canon has turned a blind eye to CHDK for a long time. They didn't have to, and we should be grateful for it.

Please edit out the email address.

« Last Edit: 13 / July / 2010, 00:58:53 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #7 on: 13 / July / 2010, 02:35:35 »
This is a terrible idea which has the potential to destroy CHDK, and essentially no chance of obtaining the desired result.

Absolutely my opinion, such a "letter" is dangerous bullshxx :blink: :blink: :blink:

« Reply #8 on: 23 / July / 2010, 11:03:12 »
I agree that if they are forced to take a position it will not be good for us. But a simple mail from a few people will not "force" them to do nothing (and this is the best possible outcome). Lets just move on to try Hack these new cams the old-fashioned way...

I got a SD1300 in my hands. When and "if" there is anything I could put on the SD card to test the cam, I'm available to do it. Unfortunately I can not help with programming right now.

Is there any porting thread already for this model?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 25 / July / 2010, 16:33:18 »
I got a SD1300 in my hands. When and "if" there is anything I could put on the SD card to test the cam, I'm available to do it.
This thread: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,5045.0.html is appropriate for porting discussion of all the "new" cameras, until someone manages to run code on one of them.

If you are not a programmer, there is not much you can do. You can try to find things that make the camera crash (like the exif thing mentioned in recent posts)
Don't forget what the H stands for.