SD Card Capacity? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

SD Card Capacity?

• 6 Replies

Offline Azcal

SD Card Capacity?
« on: 08 / November / 2011, 18:57:31 »
Advertisements
I recently loaded CHDK to my 4gb card successfully and have been using it. But for some reason I had taken say 150mbs of photos and only had another 150 mbs of storage left on the card. When I reformatted the card again(removing CHDK) I had the full capacity. Did I format the card wrong originally? Any ideas?
Thx

Re: SD Card Capacity?
« Reply #1 on: 08 / November / 2011, 19:20:31 »
Try the install process again and see what happens ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Azcal

« Reply #2 on: 08 / November / 2011, 19:43:11 »
Will do.

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #3 on: 08 / November / 2011, 20:14:47 »
I recently loaded CHDK to my 4gb card successfully and have been using it. But for some reason I had taken say 150mbs of photos and only had another 150 mbs of storage left on the card. When I reformatted the card again(removing CHDK) I had the full capacity. Did I format the card wrong originally? Any ideas?
Here's another thought. If you haven't already re-formatted the card, you might want to check to see if you accidently enabled the RAW option. This would result in saving both JPGs and RAW photos on your card. Since I don't know which camera you use or the size of the RAW photos it creates, I'll give you a comparison of how RAW can affect what you see. Here's what happens with my SX20:

Without RAW enabled, my 4G card indicates I can take 1207 JPGs using the best resolution. The JPGs average about 400 KBs. As I take a photo the counter is decremented by one with each shot.

With RAW enabled, my 4G card indicates I can take 1207 JPGs and the DNG counter indicates I can take 180 DNGs. The JPGs average 400 KBs and the DNGs are all 18,255 KBs (approx 18655 KBs total for both). After each shot, the number of DNGs is decremented by one, and the JPGs remaining are decremented by 6. So, instead of getting 1207 JPGs on the card I really would only get about 200 JPGs.

If you are transferring your photos via USB, then you would normally only see the JPGs and not the DNGs. If you check your SD card directly using the card reader on your computer, you should be able to see if you have been also saving RAW photos.

« Reply #4 on: 08 / November / 2011, 20:25:43 »
Here's another thought. If you haven't already re-formatted the card, you might want to check to see if you accidently enabled the RAW option.
Good catch - that's a way more likely error than a misformatted card.

@Azcal :  Did you notice a several second additional delay after each picture was taken as CHDK wrote a RAW image to your  SD card?

Offline Azcal

« Reply #5 on: 08 / November / 2011, 20:33:31 »
Sorry I didn't notice and don't even think I had used raw. I was more interested in the intervelometer script. The reintsall worked. But I will check raw settings if the same problem comes up. Thanks. Any tips for maxing battery time with the intervelometer? Or is that question for another new topic?

« Reply #6 on: 08 / November / 2011, 20:43:25 »
Any tips for maxing battery time with the intervelometer? Or is that question for another new topic?
Might be a topic for a search of existing threads first ?