Help with usb issue on canon SX40hs.. - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Help with usb issue on canon SX40hs..

• 5 Replies
Help with usb issue on canon SX40hs..
« on: 10 / December / 2011, 13:29:20 »
Advertisements
Hello, i've just registered here in this forum because i need some assistance with my canonSX40hs and i'd be very grateful if i can reach my point.

First of all i've already managed to get CHDK working with my camera. But i couldn't control my camera over the pc through an usb cable, just like the slr cameras through canon eos utility. Is there any way to do that with my camera? I just need to be able to take shoots from my pc. Is there any program able to do that? Sorry if i missed any obvious point, but i'm still a noob in this CHDK area..

Re: Help with usb issue on canon SX40hs..
« Reply #1 on: 10 / December / 2011, 13:33:13 »
Is there any way to do that with my camera? I just need to be able to take shoots from my pc. Is there any program able to do that? Sorry if i missed any obvious point, but i'm still a noob in this CHDK area..
What you are looking for is information on ptp.

Search the forum for that or start here :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 10 / December / 2011, 13:53:31 »
Nice, thx a lot. All that i needed was a confirmation that pc capture is possible to do and some direction to guide me in order to reach that purpose. Thx!! I just hope it isn't such a hard task to do..

« Reply #3 on: 10 / December / 2011, 13:57:59 »
I just hope it isn't such a hard task to do..
The camera part is built-in to CHDK so there is nothing much to do there.

The PC part is a little trickier.  On Win7 system you can end up getting a conflict of who controls the USB slot.  Lots of talk about that on the forum.

« Reply #4 on: 10 / December / 2011, 15:27:44 »
I managed to get it working! Now i can shoot from my computer! :D
It wasn't so much hard at all, the most difficult part was to get some direction to start my search and PTP was the answer. Just needed to install a modified usb driver (i had no conflicts here) and a software called ptpcam gui from a german website. I found this thread to be very useful: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6285.msg64905#msg64905

Thx for the support!

« Reply #5 on: 10 / December / 2011, 15:57:24 »
I actually use chdkptp.exe for most of what I do.   I have a simple one line batch file that lets me reload the diskboot.bin file everytime I make a change without the pain of moving the SD card between my pc and camera (and moving the lock switch back and forth).
Code: [Select]
chdkptp -c -e"u diskboot.bin"
I use the interactive mode to transfer script files to the camera too.  I suppose I could automate that with a batch file at some point too.

« Last Edit: 10 / December / 2011, 16:00:38 by waterwingz »