Edge overlay crashes SD1100 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Edge overlay crashes SD1100

• 1 Replies
Edge overlay crashes SD1100
« on: 13 / November / 2014, 10:20:14 »
Advertisements
I've been taking closeups of snowflakes using my SD1100 and a magnetic macro lens. I have gotten some pretty decent results handheld, but obviously the biggest challenge for such tiny closeup work is getting the snowflake in perfect focus. I am trying to implement focus peaking to help.

So, I turned on the chdk, and went into the menu and tried to turn on Edge Overlay. I tried this twice, and both times, as soon as I turned it on, the camera froze completely. I had to take out the battery to get it to start up again, and even after turning it off and back on, the screen was all messed up - its hard to describe, it was strobing and I could see a faint impression of the chdk menus. It did this even as I turned it off and on a couple times. I then let it sit off for awhile and turned it back on again and it seems ok, so I don't think there was any lasting damage.

But, since this happened the same way both times I tried to turn on edge overlay, it seems like I won't be able to use focus peaking. Any advice? Thanks!
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Edge overlay crashes SD1100
« Reply #1 on: 13 / November / 2014, 12:38:47 »
So, I turned on the chdk, and went into the menu and tried to turn on Edge Overlay. I tried this twice, and both times, as soon as I turned it on, the camera froze completely. I had to take out the battery to get it to start up again, and even after turning it off and back on, the screen was all messed up - its hard to describe, it was strobing and I could see a faint impression of the chdk menus. It did this even as I turned it off and on a couple times. I then let it sit off for awhile and turned it back on again and it seems ok, so I don't think there was any lasting damage.
This should not happen IMHO, unless some support routines of this port are completely wrong.

There might be alternatives which you could try. There's a thread at the Magic Lantern forum that lists some DIGIC registers that could be used to apply some effects to the live view image. Note that some of those registers may affect the photo taken, so if you find something cool-looking, check whether it has influence on the photo.

Here's a script that lets you research one of the registers. This effect will affect everything on the LCD, including the graphic overlay (but it should not affect the photo). The script will reset the display if you stop it. If one of the values is good for your use, you could use it in another script.
When the script is running, you can use the directional buttons to adjust the value written to the register (0...255). Any other button will end the script.

Code: [Select]
--[[
@title DIGIC c0f14140 research
--]]
s=0
q=0
repeat
    wait_click(0)
    if (is_key("up")) then
        s=s+1
    elseif (is_key("down")) then
        s=s-1