Wonders of intervalometers, extending battery life and avoiding camera damage - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Wonders of intervalometers, extending battery life and avoiding camera damage

• 12 Replies
Advertisements
I tested it with power button held down and external 12v timer (pool pump timer) turning the camera on/off daily. This gave me no overall power saving, because power use by the timer was about equal to power saved through camera being off at night.
I'm not sure what sort of pool pump timer you are using,  but a simple Arduino clone type microcontroller using standard standbye / low power mode tricks should be able to run for month and months with almost no drain on your 12 AH battery.  Using that to drive a MOSFET switch to enable/disable the dc-dc converter seems like a simple project.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline axman

Not sure if adding to this post is better than starting new thread?

My app - now using ixus160-elph160 - requires external power.  This thread helps me go forward. 

I could make the servo setup to physically push the button as described by reyalp.  But shorting power switch to force on when cam has power seems better, trying to do similar technique as mentioned in post #8.

The switch contact mechanism is a domed, springy contact embedded in the white plastic.  I guess it momentarily completes the circuit when pressed.  Functions like a toggle switch.  Press down once, ON.  Press down once again, off.

So..  I will try to probe with ohm meter, no power at camera, to see which wires are used for the switch..  then, try to solder wires to the camera switch wires so they could be run outside the camera.  Then, just "touch those wires together for .5 sec" to turn on.  Do same to turn off.

If anyone sees obvious flaws with this approach, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Edit: correct the image url
« Last Edit: 17 / November / 2015, 13:12:53 by axman »

Not sure if adding to this post is better than starting new thread?  My app - now using ixus160-elph160 - requires external power.  This thread helps me go forward. 
This approach has been used successfully many times. 

Here's post in another thread that might be of interest :  Auto on-off management

Note the little gold pin sockets - shorting those fires the shutter.

One small caution :  even with the camera turned off and the battery removed,  the capacitor for the integral flash unit is probably fully charged and will give you a nasty surprise if you accidentally touch it.
« Last Edit: 17 / November / 2015, 13:31:27 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16