A1300, Accurate Intervalometer and battery life - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A1300, Accurate Intervalometer and battery life

• 3 Replies
A1300, Accurate Intervalometer and battery life
« on: 06 / June / 2014, 20:42:37 »
Advertisements
I am a fairly new to the CHDK, and am trying to use some A1300 cameras with the Accurate Intervalometer. I have used this script with the A1200 previously, and was able to get impressive battery life - about 600 photos at 1 photo per minute for 10 h. However, I am only able to get about 150-250 photos from the A1300s. I haven't been able to figure out why the battery life is so much worse with the A1300s; I've confirmed that the display turns off, and it is not refocusing for each photo. I've tried several different batteries under different conditions; these trial runs were all conducted with new alkaline batteries. I know that the A1300 CHDK is still in beta; do you think the battery performance would be likely to improve with a stable CHDK release? Is there some other setting or script I should consider?

Thanks to everyone that makes this project work!

Re: A1300, Accurate Intervalometer and battery life
« Reply #1 on: 06 / June / 2014, 20:54:26 »
I am a fairly new to the CHDK, and am trying to use some A1300 cameras with the Accurate Intervalometer.
That's a fairly old script but might be a good one for your camera (see below).

I have used this script with the A1200 previously, and was able to get impressive battery life - about 600 photos at 1 photo per minute for 10 h. However, I am only able to get about 150-250 photos from the A1300s. I haven't been able to figure out why the battery life is so much worse with the A1300s; I've confirmed that the display turns off, and it is not refocusing for each photo.
Here's the links to the Canon web pages for each camera : A1200  A1300
To summarize,  Canon rates the A1300 as about 10% to 20% better in terms of battery life.

I've tried several different batteries under different conditions; these trial runs were all conducted with new alkaline batteries.
From the Canon spec quoted above,  your battery life will just about double if you go to NiMH batteries.

I know that the A1300 CHDK is still in beta; do you think the battery performance would be likely to improve with a stable CHDK release?
Beta designation does mean a lot other than that somebody forgot to remove the designation after awhile.  The A1300 is about as good and stable as any other and it's as good as it gets.

Is there some other setting or script I should consider?
There is an updated version here : https://github.com/alfredopironti/chdk-scripts/blob/master/lapse.lua that uses the latest power saving features. 

However, your A1300 has an optical viewfinder,  which means you can turn the display off with the DISP button (or have the script do it).   In my testing, ( link ) this is the optimum method of getting power savings.  The original version of this script uses that method so you might be better to stick with that.
« Last Edit: 06 / June / 2014, 21:00:35 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 08 / June / 2014, 14:24:12 »
Thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply. I'm currently testing a few different intervalometer scripts including the latest version of the "Accurate Intervalometer" and the "Battery Intervalometer". I know that switching to NiMH (or even lithium) batteries will increase the battery life, but I'm using alkalines for testing at this point. I'm not sure why I was able to get such extraordinary battery life from the A1200, but I will see if I can replicate that.

« Reply #3 on: 09 / June / 2014, 12:32:28 »
I did a few tests with an A1200 and an A1300, using identical alkaline batteries, 60s intervals and displays off. Here are the data:

A1200 with the Accurate Intervalometer: 183 photos

A1300 with the intervalometer that came with CHDK: 181 photos
A1300 with the Accurate Intervalometer: 242 photos
A1300 with the Battery Intervalometer (Battery Miser 6.1): 618 photos

My best explanation for the very long run I had with the A1200 previously is that I must have been using lithium batteries, but made some error in my notes which later made me think I had been using alkalines. In any case, I'll start working with the Battery Intervalometer.

Thanks!