do I need to check the firmware before buying a camera? - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

do I need to check the firmware before buying a camera?

• 2 Replies
do I need to check the firmware before buying a camera?
« on: 09 / August / 2013, 17:23:39 »
Advertisements
Hi guys,
I'm planing to buy a camera soon and wanted to ask if I should check the firmware on that camera to make sure it would be working with CHDK? If so, is there a way to check without connecting to a pc, etc?

THanks. :)

Re: do I need to check the firmware before buying a camera?
« Reply #1 on: 09 / August / 2013, 18:10:27 »
I'm planing to buy a camera soon and wanted to ask if I should check the firmware on that camera to make sure it would be working with CHDK? If so, is there a way to check without connecting to a pc, etc?
You don't mention which model, but in general its a good idea to make sure the firmware version is available.  In the past this was essential as ports to different versions were time consuming and difficult to do without access to the actual camera.  However, its recently become much easier to do those ports as the porting tools have become much better.   So while there are no guarantees,  new firmware releases of ported cameras are usually easy to arrange. 

But make sure that the model you pick is currently supported for at least one firmware version.

The only way to really tell the firmware version is to take a picture and then put that picture into your PC and use something like the ACID utility to give you the version.   The vers.req process will also work for most cameras - but not all.
« Last Edit: 09 / August / 2013, 18:12:28 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: do I need to check the firmware before buying a camera?
« Reply #2 on: 10 / August / 2013, 17:20:14 »
Thanks for the tip. Just got an old ixus75 from a pawnshop, installed CHDK. So far so good. :)
Tomorrow will try to get preview feed by PTP from it to PC.