HDRlapse.lua - an HDR intervalometer with fast shooting - page 4 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum  

HDRlapse.lua - an HDR intervalometer with fast shooting

• 46 Replies

Offline topshot

• S100
Re: HDRlapse.lua - an HDR intervalometer with fast shooting
« Reply #30 on: 12 / August / 2017, 11:42:54 »
Advertisements
For some reason the set_backlight isn't working for me. I'll copy over the code from your YASS4 script once my test is over since I know it worked. I had been hacking it around already to be more friendly for eclipses. I already copied its zooming and focus @ inf locking to this script.  :)

« Reply #31 on: 12 / August / 2017, 11:59:34 »
For some reason the set_backlight isn't working for me.
What camera?  Just tested it on my trusty old G10 and it works well.

But the script is quite old and predates the set_lcd_display( 0 ) function by quite a bit.   You could try just replacing the set_backlight( ) statement with set_lcd_display( ).

Code: [Select]
function display(mode)
  set_backlight(mode)
end
becomes
Code: [Select]
function display(mode)
  set_lcd_display(mode)
end

I'll copy over the code from your YASS4 script once my test is over since I know it worked. I had been hacking it around already to be more friendly for eclipses.
That's the great part about scripts. Hack away to get what YOU want!

I already copied its zooming and focus @ inf locking to this script.  :)
Good luck with the focus @ inf. It works on most cameras & camera models but some users report issues with specific cameras ( i.e. works fine on my and others S100's but not for a few other owners).  Test, test, test before you use it for a "once in a lifetime" event.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #32 on: 12 / August / 2017, 12:26:59 »
Updated script.   The display now turns off using set_lcd_display( ) rather than set_backlight( ).  That should work better and stops the backlight from flashing on during shooting.

I also added a bit of code so that you can press any key and the display will turn back on until the next shot. The console display area has been enlarged so that you can see the results of several shots.

I guess I can add the focus @ infinity and zoom position as well - they are pretty standard in most of my other scripts. 

When that is done,  I'll merge the HDRLapse.lua and mHDRLapse.lua scripts into one script ( mHDRLapse.lua is just HDRLapse.lua with the ability to set the exposure manually ).

Offline topshot

• S100
« Reply #33 on: 12 / August / 2017, 12:59:07 »
For some reason the set_backlight isn't working for me.
What camera?
S100 101b. I actually like it flashing on while shooting so I have some idea the settings are where they need to be.

Good luck with the focus @ inf. It works on most cameras & camera models but some users report issues with specific cameras ( i.e. works fine on my and others S100's but not for a few other owners).  Test, test, test before you use it for a "once in a lifetime" event.
There have been a couple times it hasn't worked for some reason (possibly because of testing zoom) but I always report back what it set at so I can abort and restart if needed.

Whatever changes I make to either script will get finalized today since I leave in the morning.  :blink:

Thank you for your assistance.

« Reply #34 on: 12 / August / 2017, 13:04:00 »
I actually like it flashing on while shooting so I have some idea the settings are where they need to be.
That's why I added the check for any key being pressed - to allow you to periodically check the console display between shots.   But "to each his own".

Offline topshot

• S100
« Reply #35 on: 12 / August / 2017, 13:10:48 »
I actually like it flashing on while shooting so I have some idea the settings are where they need to be.
That's why I added the check for any key being pressed - to allow you to periodically check the console display between shots.   But "to each his own".
Ah, I see. I don't want to touch the camera if at all possible. I know I have to for totality to remove filter and change settings and then reverse 3 min later, but want to reduce the chance of moving it.

« Reply #36 on: 12 / August / 2017, 13:19:33 »
Ah, I see. I don't want to touch the camera if at all possible. I know I have to for totality to remove filter and change settings and then reverse 3 min later, but want to reduce the chance of moving it.
If you have a CHDK USB Remote, pressing it while running the script will turn the display back on until the next shot.  (assuming it's enabled in the CHDK Remote menu)

You can also use it to start a script - totally "hands free" at that point  :D

Offline topshot

• S100
« Reply #37 on: 12 / August / 2017, 14:56:27 »
Is the call to collectgarbage in your YASS script really needed? I've only programmed in .Net and garbage collection is an expensive process. I need to reduce CPU usage to make sure I can last 3 hours on a battery.

« Reply #38 on: 12 / August / 2017, 15:11:16 »
Is the call to collectgarbage in your YASS script really needed?
Probably not necessary.  In earlier version of CHDK, scripts took up a lot of memory so that was added to be "defensive".  Current versions of CHDK don't store the script file in memory anymore so memory space is much less of an issue.

I need to reduce CPU usage to make sure I can last 3 hours on a battery.
I'm not sure there is much you can do to reduce CPU usage. Or at least not much you can do within a script to reduce battery current draw other than turning off the display or putting the camera into sleep or playback modes when not busy.  When the CPU is running, current draw does not seem to change much based on what your script is doing. (Other than increasing when you shoot / charge the flash / wrtie to SD card).

edit : you could also fool with set_yield( ) if you want to reduce the amount of time the script engine runs.  Again, I'm not certain battery current draw will actually decrease much, if at all.
« Last Edit: 12 / August / 2017, 15:17:18 by waterwingz »

Offline topshot

• S100
« Reply #39 on: 12 / August / 2017, 15:29:26 »
I'm not sure there is much you can do to reduce CPU usage. Or at least not much you can do within a script to reduce battery current draw other than turning off the display or putting the camera into sleep or playback modes when not busy.
I knew the display was the big killer. I'm working on getting that as I desire. Just wondered if there was anything else worth trying. Thanks again. Off to my son's birthday party - taking my laptop.  :o :P