Ixus 115 HS / Elph 100 HS - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Ixus 115 HS / Elph 100 HS

• 8 Replies
Ixus 115 HS / Elph 100 HS
« on: 16 / August / 2012, 06:31:43 »
Advertisements
Hi guys! I heard these two cameras are the same thing. Where I live it's called Ixus 115 HS. I was wondering if there's any way to make the optical zoom work while filming using CHDK.
Also can I improve the picture quality on this camera (like saving them in raw format)?

Re: Ixus 115 HS / Elph 100 HS
« Reply #1 on: 16 / August / 2012, 19:17:28 »
Hi guys! I heard these two cameras are the same thing. Where I live it's called Ixus 115 HS.
Welcome.

I was wondering if there's any way to make the optical zoom work while filming using CHDK.
Yes.  Have you read any of the CHDK documentation ?

link> CHDK in Brief
link> CHDK User Quick Start Guide
link> CHDK User Manual
link> CHDK for Dummies
link> CHDK Wiki FAQ
link> CHDK Firmware Usage
Also can I improve the picture quality on this camera (like saving them in raw format)?
Maybe.  More info here :
link> CHDK Wiki Page about RAW
link> CHDK Forum thread on RAW
link> CHDK Wiki Page about Raw Software
link> CHDK Forum Board for RAW
link> How do you fix lens distortion with CHDK RAW files?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 17 / August / 2012, 07:05:16 »
I honestly tried to read, but I'm such a noob in cameras/photography and in these kinds of "complicated stuff" (like CHDK) that after reading like four paragraphs I was like "what the heck did I just read?". Now that I know it is possible I'm going to put my head to work again.

The zoom thing is the main reason I'm still having doubts about buying the Ixus 115 HS. But now that you told me I CAN make optical zoom work WHILE FILMING (I know for sure that normally that is not possible, only digital zoom), I'm 99% sure I'll buy it.

« Reply #3 on: 17 / August / 2012, 11:49:46 »
The zoom thing is the main reason I'm still having doubts about buying the Ixus 115 HS. But now that you told me I CAN make optical zoom work WHILE FILMING (I know for sure that normally that is not possible, only digital zoom), I'm 99% sure I'll buy it.
Be aware that the noise of running the zoom motor while filming will be recorded and can be distracting in your video.  That may be why Canon disabled that functionality in the first place.

« Reply #4 on: 21 / August / 2012, 10:04:50 »
That wouldn't mind me. I'm actually having another bigger issue: I got ACID and found out that my camera is 101c. I downloaded the archive, extracted everything on the SD CARD (on the root, first "page", dunno how to say it), vers.req is there, but all that happens after holding SET for more than 2 seconds is that the animated clock shows up. Pressing DISP while SET is held doesn't change anything. Literally, nothing happens!
The CHDK works, I updated the fw, messed around with it a bit, but it feels buggy. If I set the optical zoom on for videos, it works like a second and then it stucks. If I go in playback and then back in recording, the zoom works for photos, but it doesn't work at all anymore for videos (not even digital now). The only way to make it work again for videos (digital) is to turn off and on the camera. Trying the optical (with CHDK) again brings the same problem.

I checked the info from the CHDK menu and this one sais the camera is 101b. Maybe something's not right here? I mean, ACID said 101c, CHDK sais b....I definetely downloaded C (stable release, 1.1.0). http://mighty-hoernsche.de/bins/ixus115_elph100hs-101c-1.1.0-2079-full_BETA.zip

Any idea what to do? If I could check the version using the SET + DISP method it would be Awesome, but...I can't.

Also it seems that I can't view photos and videos from the DCIM folder with USB right now. Using the card reader is ok. Nevermind, seems that happens if I have RAW Photos saved because a new folder creates in the DCIM folder and the USB connection messes up.
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2012, 10:11:33 by prider »

« Reply #5 on: 21 / August / 2012, 10:14:59 »
That wouldn't mind me. I'm actually having another bigger issue: I got ACID and found out that my camera is 101c. I downloaded the archive, extracted everything on the SD CARD (on the root, first "page", dunno how to say it), vers.req is there, but all that happens after holding SET for more than 2 seconds is that the animated clock shows up. Pressing DISP while SET is held doesn't change anything. Literally, nothing happens!
The CHDK works, I updated the fw, messed around with it a bit, but it feels buggy.
If CHDK loads and runs,  you have the right firmware version.  Ignore the stuff about DISP+SET - you don't need it.

If I set the optical zoom on for videos, it works like a second and then it stucks. If I go in playback and then back in recording, the zoom works for photos, but it doesn't work at all anymore for videos (not even digital now). The only way to make it work again for videos (digital) is to turn off and on the camera. Trying the optical (with CHDK) again brings the same problem.
A common problem with many CHDK cameras - once you go beyond the mechanical zoom to digital zoom you can't go  back.  Its fixed on some cameras but not on others.  Discussed a bit here :
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5034.msg89578#msg89578

I checked the info from the CHDK menu and this one sais the camera is 101b. Maybe something's not right here? I mean, ACID said 101c, CHDK sais b....I definetely downloaded C (stable release, 1.1.0). http://mighty-hoernsche.de/bins/ixus115_elph100hs-101c-1.1.0-2079-full_BETA.zip
The 1.01b  & 1.01c are the same code base. The Canon firmware in both cameras is essentially the same so one CHDK build covers two cameras.

Also it seems that I can't view photos and videos from the DCIM folder with USB right now. Using the card reader is ok.
If you have the USB remote enabled,  you cannot view the SD card via USB.

« Reply #6 on: 21 / August / 2012, 10:38:29 »
So I guess there's still no way to use optical zoom while filming (because yeah, it's useless to shoot a bit, then zoom one second and then have the video stuck in that zoom untill you start a new one; and the new one doesn't zoom at all untill you restart the camera). Well, maybe in a future version of the CHDK or something. Do you think using the Trunk Version would be a good idea for a "test"?

As I said, the USB problem was caused by the new folder containing RAW pictures. It was just a "test", I'll never shoot anything in RAW because my needs in photography are pretty basic.

Thanks for clearing the 101b and 101c thing for me.
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2012, 10:42:56 by prider »

« Reply #7 on: 21 / August / 2012, 10:51:35 »
So I guess there's still no way to use optical zoom while filming (because yeah, it's useless to shoot a bit, then zoom one second and then have the video stuck in that zoom untill you start a new one; and the new one doesn't zoom at all untill you restart the camera).
Can you disable 'electronic zoom' with video and just use mechanical ?

« Reply #8 on: 21 / August / 2012, 11:44:14 »
Found it. Disabled the Digital Zoom from the standard menu. Did that and it worked like a charm! Happy owner of a perfect camera for my needs! Thanks a lot man!
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2012, 11:47:37 by prider »