360 degree camera - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

360 degree camera

• 19 Replies

Offline nafraf

360 degree camera
« on: 19 / June / 2013, 16:03:49 »
Advertisements
Hi, I'm working on a 360 degree camera.

The system is configured to use one camera every 5 degrees. Camera communication is done using chdkptp.
Some sample pictures (180 degrees) are available here.  36 A810 cameras synchronized, connected to one PC.  I think it is a new record :)

Offline reyalp

Re: 360 degree camera
« Reply #1 on: 19 / June / 2013, 16:20:54 »
Very impressive. Are you using the "multicam" module?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline nafraf

« Reply #2 on: 19 / June / 2013, 16:25:10 »
Very impressive. Are you using the "multicam" module?
No, we are using USB Remote.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 19 / June / 2013, 16:31:07 »
No, we are using USB Remote.
That makes sense, but I'm not clear why you say "Camera communication is done using chdkptp." ?  Just trying to clarify, not trying to give you a hard time.

I'm sure many people would be interested in a more detailed description of the setup.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline nafraf

« Reply #4 on: 19 / June / 2013, 17:20:33 »
That makes sense, but I'm not clear why you say "Camera communication is done using chdkptp." ?  Just trying to clarify, not trying to give you a hard time.
To ensure the synchrony without losing chdkptp communication features, we developed electronics to switch between USB remote and chdkptp communication modes.

This electronic system is also responsible for improving the communication from a PC to the cameras, which let us control shutter time, zoom and other parameters of the camera quickly, all cameras at the same time. It also allow us to start downloading images immediately after they are taken, and have all of them transferred to the PC in a few seconds. Our system is quite scalable, and has been tested in setups with dozens of cameras.

After images are shot and downloaded, our software treats the images in several levels, ensuring that they are correctly aligned and matching.

Offline ahull

« Reply #5 on: 19 / June / 2013, 20:00:17 »
Where all are you going to use the setup, is it for a particular project?
Do we get to see the results?
Which one of those shots is you?
« Last Edit: 19 / June / 2013, 20:05:47 by ahull »

Offline nafraf

« Reply #6 on: 20 / June / 2013, 14:00:20 »
Where all are you going to use the setup, is it for a particular project?
I can't buy 72 cameras only for hobby :)  The equipment is for rent, it will be used on promotional events.

Do we get to see the results?
Yes, I'll post the results of our tests if someone is interested.

Which one of those shots is you?
I'm sitting on the air.

« Reply #7 on: 04 / August / 2013, 07:26:52 »
Hehe, I built a rig with 50 cameras too! Have a look here: ClickMe

« Reply #8 on: 14 / August / 2013, 18:20:44 »
To ensure the synchrony without losing chdkptp communication features, we developed electronics to switch between USB remote and chdkptp communication modes.

This electronic system is also responsible for improving the communication from a PC to the cameras, which let us control shutter time, zoom and other parameters of the camera quickly, all cameras at the same time. It also allow us to start downloading images immediately after they are taken, and have all of them transferred to the PC in a few seconds. Our system is quite scalable, and has been tested in setups with dozens of cameras.

After images are shot and downloaded, our software treats the images in several levels, ensuring that they are correctly aligned and matching.

Beautiful nafraf  - I might yet get to 3d print some nice portraits.
« Last Edit: 02 / October / 2013, 07:33:56 by andrew.stephens.754365 »

« Reply #9 on: 15 / August / 2013, 08:02:11 »
Hehe, I built a rig with 50 cameras too! Have a look here: ClickMe

Hi Karmaschinken - I remember looking at your site quite a while ago. Some lovely stuff on there !